Where Angels fear to fly........

My wife thought that it would be fun to fly (in my flight sim) in Texas.  and being the dutiful husband that I am (:wacko2:), I took off in the Sate if Texas using real time weather in a Cessna C172SP.  The head wind was 57 knots!  Unless there was considerable power running, the plane was blown backwards on the runway.  I did manage to take off in blinding rain and come back into land.  That was the interesting bit......the poor little Cessna did a pretty good impression of the Hawker Siddeley Harrier hovering!  I did land.....eventually! :pilotic:  (NOT to be tried in a real plane!)

And to those in the path of  Harvey, keep safe!

Martin

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Tristarcaptain said:

And to those in the path of  Harvey, keep safe!

+1 to that.  This is a serious storm; it will go ashore as a Cat. 4, which won't last more than a few hours after landfall, but the forecast has it hanging around in a relatively small area for several days, pumping rain for all it's worth.  I've seen forecasts of up to 35" of rain for some areas.  That's relatively flat, low ground there.  Flash flooding and general flooding are likely to be pretty bad.  The primary cause of death in hurricanes is fresh water flooding and this one is likely to prove that true once again.

One local mayor has advised those who foolishly choose to stay that they should put their name and Social Security Number on their forearms with an indelible marker to assist with identification of the bodies after the fact.   The storm is ashore now and the time for evacuation has pretty much come and gone for those near the coastline.  I expect some are regretting their decision but haven't heard anything about how many might have decided to ride it out.

Relative to the post above, there's a legend that during a Pacific typhoon in 1944, some long-range type aircraft took off and flew into the wind, essentially flying in place more or less over their island base until the wind had dissipated enough for a safe landing.  I have no idea if it's true, but it sounds plausible.

John

• Sad 1

Mother Earth is at it again so my heart goes out to all those along the Texas coast, three feet of rain is a call to bring the boats out. Luckily 99% of Texans own hip waders and boats.:D