Chasing Irma

Lockheed WP-3D operating out of Grantley Adams, Barbados. Got airborne easily enough, but then during the flight the winds picked up. 140, gusting 160 kts. challenging to say the least! Returning to the island a while later was forced to crab into the airport at almost 90 deg to the line of flight and then kick her ound at the last second whilist still keeping the power on as the wind was coming directly across the single runway.  Taxiing was interesting and even once parked and brakes set, the wind was trying to blow the aircraft backwards! Several light aircraft were blown completely of the apron and even a DHC-8 was struggling to get in right at the end , he was flying the same approach as me!  Currently the aircraft is still parked at Grantley so will see if the winds have abated to try another flight tomorrow.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
004.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg
013.jpg
012.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
016.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg
022.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Edited by dodgy-alan
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, allardjd said:

While you're at it, chase her AWAY!

John

If only we could. I know they can seed clouds to produce rain, but not yet disperse winds. Maybe if they were to line up all the politicians, presidents, dictators etc on the coast, the rise of all that hot air may make it disperse.

I got the urge to see what those winds would do to a sturdy bird.

I took my F3F and planned to bomb the shit out of Irma, but her eye over Cuba was so lovely I couldn't bring myself to do it...also, the international incident wouldn't be appreciated I'm sure.

Leaving Naples...winds only in the 20kt range here so far at 1:30 pm

Irma-1.jpg

Approaching the tip of Fl...winds are increasing to 30kt range
Irma-2.jpg

Up around 15,000 I am canted nearly 20 degrees off of my desired heading.
Irma-3.jpg

Angled into the prevailing winds a bit as I was approaching Cuba, I was doing over 300kts ground speed/180kts indicated.
Irma-4.jpg

I landed in Cuba, no snaps, but I have it on video...lets just say that it was reminiscent of landing my Super Cub on a helipad in stiff headwinds. Int his shot I am heading straight up the frame into the direction of the rain streams...just a bit of class 5 cross wind eh?
Irma-5.jpg

• Like 1