Leg 15 (1) - Tunggul Wulung (WIHL) - Selaparang (WADA)

As some of you may recall, in my last ATWC leg I ended up with a rather expensive piece of equipment - namely a KC-97, bought for around $1 million. Not a bad price considering what is was, but not required all the same!

It's taken me a few weeks of flying around Asia, tempting various clients and prospective purchasers, but eventually two days ago I managed to get rid of the aircraft - for $1.2 million. So a slight profit, although very minor once fuel and landing costs were taken into account!

So, with only a day to get from deepest China to Indonesia, a few favours had to be called in, with people John-G would know well.

I arrived at the airport with minutes to spare before the pre-arranged time. No other aircraft was around. That's suspicious. I was told something very unusual was to take me to Selaparang. Suddenly, a bag was placed over my head. I would have been worried by the nice British accent of the bloke placing it over my head. It sounded familiar too....

2017-nov-10-002.jpg

I was bundled up the stairs of the above aircraft and a sharp left turn at the top. At this point the bag was removed and 'all' was revealed. It turns out that a RAF Sentinel R1 was on excercise in the area and dropped in. I wasn't allowed to look in the cabin to see what strange things were around, but it was transport!

No sooner had I strapped in that we were off. And in true tatical style - maximum rate climb! You wouldn't get that in the normal Bombardier CRJ-900!

2017-nov-10-005.jpg

Leaving Tunggul behind

2017-nov-10-004.jpg

In terms of how the aircraft handled, the extra lumps and bumps didn't make that much difference to a normal CRJ - just that you could throw it around a bit more

2017-nov-10-007.jpg

2017-nov-10-008.jpg

Rapidly we approached our cruising altitude of 32000ft - what had been determined as 'safe' around these parts. Not sure I was too happy with how 'safe' was said....

2017-nov-10-011.jpg

Plodding along at FL320

2017-nov-10-014.jpg

A nice part of the world - if you like islands!

2017-nov-10-017.jpg

Crossing between two of the many islands in this 500nm trip

2017-nov-10-016.jpg

Of course the other claim to fame that Indonesia has is volcanos. Lots of them

2017-nov-10-020.jpg

As we approached Selaparang, I was getting increasingly concerned that we weren't loosing any altitude. The miles clicked off - 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15. At that point, my co-pilot said, "I suppose we better go down"

2017-nov-10-022.jpg

And down we went. I made it an average of about 9700ft / min turning descent

2017-nov-10-024.jpg

This would of course make mass media say "plane dives out of control", but of course it was under perfect control - because it wasn't me!

2017-nov-10-026.jpg

As we bottomed out, the words "You have control" we uttered by my perfectly presented co-pilot. Better not make a mess of this

2017-nov-10-027.jpg

Well, not a complete mess but my now means the best landing ever! I just avoided the grass!

2017-nov-10-028.jpg

This time they allowed to me exit a bit more normally, minus bag. But with a massive heavy curtain between the door area and the cabin, preventing any kind of spying.

2017-nov-10-031.jpg

My guide did tell me what they were there for, and it is related to us - but I dare not say. I still have to get a ride to Mau Hau. And it's just come onto the ramp.....

Aircraft used: IRIS Sentinel R1 (Easter Egg 2013)

• Thanks 1

Great choice of aircraft Chuck and thanks for a great PIREP :thumbup:

Looks like we will be meeting up at Mau Hau, I've secured an aircraft for my flight, they are just putting it back together after a hard landing here, so be careful of any debris left on the runway. :D

Just now, hlminx said:

Love it.. some serious sick bag moments there on approach (can it still be called that????) :blink2:

Great PIREP Chuck, and nice choice of the Sentinel.

Gosh I hope so...I do Airhauler dive approaches steeper than that ...and not always in the helldiver...:whis: