A word of warning!

I have just done a major Windows 10 update and FSX will no longer start.  It seems to be the only program that wont. 

The update is Feature update to windows 10 version 1709.  I dont think this is a security ypdate so if you use FSX on Windows 10 you may want to skip it.

The update is easily recognisable as the reboot after it begins with a black screen with the single word "Hi" on it. It then goes on to other white on black words, none of which mention that FSX is screwed.:( 

I would like to here from anyone that has had this issue and has solved it or anyone who knows how to role back the update.

The issue was solved only after I backed out the update.

Edited by J G
Problem solution and details of the cause documented.
  • Sad 1

Well, that solves my "which sim" dilemna. When I rebuild my computer soon...looks like I will be ponying up for P3D4 apparently. :( Fortunately many of my addons have already been updated to P3d4, and the versions I bought for many of them will work without re-buying a P3D version. I can't consider XPlane-11 despite Wain's fantastic shots, thanks to AirHauler not supporting it...too bad.

I'm still using Windows 7 at the moment, but even it got screwwed up months ago from an auto update that I never figured out how to undoo...now my system flashes a "Your version of Windows may not be authentic" every 10 minutes or so...despite trying to re-authenticate using the authenticate code on the Windows 7 Disk I purchased new last time I rebuilt.

Windows...WTAF?

Edited by Captain Coffee

I'm on Win10 and am using FSX-SE with no issues.  Have not attempted basic FSX on this machine so don't know about that one.  Have purchased P3D V4.1 but haven't installed yet pending installation of another SSD.

Anyway, my bottom line is that FSX-SE works fine with Win10. 

I'm happy with Win10 after being a long-time Win7 user.  I wouldn't upgrade to 10 on the old computer - waited until I needed to replace it and got a new one with Win10 factory-installed and it's fine.  I heard a lot of horror stories from folks who upgraded to Win10 on a computer that originally had an earlier OS so decided not to do that.  Most rolled back and a few waited too long (> 30 days) and were stuck with a bad situation.  I can't think of anyone in the local FS club who did the free update to Win10 on a PC with an earlier OS who had a happy experience with it.

In my opinion, it seems like the old saw about MS getting it right on every other OS is right.  Windows ME, Vista and Win8 were stinkers - XP, Win7 and (so far) Win10 are/were pretty solid.

John

John I think you misunderstand me.  I have been using Windows 10 for a while and with no issues, in fact I agree with you on the every other windows release is a dud. Win 10 is one of the good ones.

The issue I have is that the latest automatic update has screwed FSX. I put my PC to bed last night and had the usual wait for updates to install before it switched off and it was after these updates that FSX wouldn't work.

I have now rolled back the update and all is working fine again. 

• Like 1

My point, buried in all my other editorializing, is that FSX-SE works fine here and I just had the latest Win10 installed a couple days ago.  You might consider switching to that.  It seems pretty solid.

John

Last year I bought a Laptop that was fitted with W10, I hated it. Just could not get on with the system at all, result I sold the Lappie a few weeks ago and went back to my original W7 Desktop PC which handles FSX just fine. Call me a dinosaur but I think I'll stick with what I know for now. :D

1) No problem in my book in continuing to stick with Win7 for a while.  It's dead solid and works very well.  I believe that MS is committed to support until some time in 2020.  After that, you're increasingly virus-bait.

2) You need to stand a little closer to that razor, but the beard does look better than that hat in your last avatar image.

John

• Haha 2

With regard to Windows 7, I have recently upgraded my M/B, GPU and CPU, and every time I start using the computer, I get a fancy window pop up saying 'Unsupported Hardware" then a little narrative saying: "Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of Windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates"

What the hell has my processor got to do with not loading updates ?

As a matter of fact I've had the updates turned off for months at a time, and have never had a problem.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

7 hours ago, CAT3508 said:

With regard to Windows 7, I have recently upgraded my M/B, GPU and CPU, and every time I start using the computer, I get a fancy window pop up saying 'Unsupported Hardware" then a little narrative saying: "Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of Windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates"

What the hell has my processor got to do with not loading updates ?

As a matter of fact I've had the updates turned off for months at a time, and have never had a problem.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

Like I said - Windoze is a virus.

If any other piece of software acted like this, we'd have filters in place (or software) to prevent issues.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Quickmarch said:

Like I said - Windoze is a virus.

If any other piece of software acted like this, we'd have filters in place (or software) to prevent issues.

True, but to paraphrase good ol' Winston who was referring to democracy - it's the worst OS ever, except for all the others that have been tried.

John