Leg 15 (2) - Selaparang (WADA) - Mau Hau (WADW)

So, having been deposited by the RAF in Selaparang just about in one piece, I look towards the next aircraft they have planned for me. The exercise they are conducting out here must be large to warrant such an aircraft.....

2017-nov-11-003.jpg

A fully fuelled and armed F-35B Lightning II. And they were giving it to me for the flight, to test out high-low-medium-low flight paths as well as system functions. Do they know the reputation of the chicken I am nicknamed after?!

It's a nice enough looking aircraft - although not as good as the original jet Lightning!

2017-nov-11-004.jpg

Engine start was easy enough, and soon enough I'm taxiing past some of the more usual residents of Selaparang. Not sure what they thought of me or my company!

2017-nov-11-006.jpg

Showing off the "Short Take Off" function of the F-35B, it was decided not to back-track down the runway but to use the remaining length. No pressure!

2017-nov-11-008.jpg

But it still lived up to the Lightning name in departure. I think I may have been noticed by the odd person on departure, but made sure it was reasonably quiet.....

2017-nov-11-009.jpg

Thundering up

2017-nov-11-010.jpg

A quick intercept up at FL310 was conducted, allowing tests to see how it performed with the doors open. Showing off the AIM-9 missiles, AIM-120 missles and Mk83 bomb

2017-nov-11-015.jpg

Following the interception, it was time to go down to low level. The HUD was of create use here. Having flown the Bucaneer down low, I felt more comfortable in the 1950's aircraft!

2017-nov-11-016.jpg

Although it didn't stop a few low encounters!

2017-nov-11-018.jpg

2017-nov-11-019.jpg

After skipping over one of the islands between Selaparang and Mau Hau, I climbed to FL210 to perform an autopilot test. It didn't work too well, not leveling out at the intended altitude!

2017-nov-11-021.jpg

I did however find a Learjet.....

2017-nov-11-028.jpg

....and how the cannon worked

2017-nov-11-025.jpg

Down in the dirt for the last few miles

2017-nov-11-031.jpg

I intended making a spectacular arrival at Mau Hau, involving a little display over the airfield. As it was next to the sea, I had to buzz a yatch. No other choice. Not sure what they thought of an aircraft accelerating to Mach 1 at 50ft!

2017-nov-11-033.jpg

Boom!

2017-nov-11-034.jpg

A view of my HUD as I head down from the top of the loop. The big X across it means I'll crash if I continue this course. Also a fascinating difference between Ground Speed and Indicated Air Speed

2017-nov-11-035.jpg

Halfway along the runway I inverted, and suddenly realised that was a bad idea. Power!

By this point I had a Master Warning up - fuel was getting rather low. Oopps!

2017-nov-11-039.jpg

With the fuel situation becoming critical, it was time to land. And not mess it up!

2017-nov-11-038.jpg

Originally I had intended to do a vertical landing, but with my fuel state a nice normal landing was made

2017-nov-11-040.jpg

The F-35 doing it's best to merge into the runway

2017-nov-11-041.jpg

And finally parking up for some much needed fuel

2017-nov-11-042.jpg

Thoughts on one of the most expensive combar aircraft? Fun ride, good roll rate, poor altitude performance (as modelled). But a decent way of converting cash to noise!

After I landed, I turned my phone on (not knowing who would be around to take the baton from me). A message from Joe pops up: "Waiting in Mau Hau for you. Had a hard landing so be careful". I don't think the Mach 1.2 pass was exactly what he had in mind of being 'careful'

Aircraft: Dino Cattaneo F-35 pack v1.51 (freeware is now 2.41, payware V3 [complete change] also available)

• Like 1

You must have friends in high places Chuck! You have really blown our budget with this one I will have to get more credit from the bank!

So they must have cleared my nose gear from the runway, good to see you, time for a Guinness or three! 

Again, another high dollar super swanky ride for Lucky Chucky. :)

Looks like you had some fun in that one...hopefully you left no shrubbery stains on the underside.

This passage concerned me just a bit:

....and how the cannon worked.

Condolences to the crew and passengers of the Learjet?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Captain Coffee said:

Again, another high dollar super swanky ride for Lucky Chucky. :)

Looks like you had some fun in that one...hopefully you left no shrubbery stains on the underside.

This passage concerned me just a bit:

....and how the cannon worked.

Condolences to the crew and passengers of the Learjet?

No harm was done to the Learjet - bar prehaps the seat covers when they saw me coming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, hlminx said:

NIce one Chuck

Your buzzing the boat made me laugh... had to imagine Simon Cowell or some other slightly irritating and noteworthy gazillionaire being scared S**t-less by that one :rofl:

It reminded me of the one time I took my sailboat out to the maritime madness that is San Francisco Fleet Week featuring thousands of drunk boaters and the Blue Angels every year. Since I am about a 4 hour or more (tide dependent) sail from the main bay, we left the day before so we could get to a nearby anchorage and Be There Saturday morning. As we were approaching the anchorage near Paradise Cove, Mill Valley...a bit north of Angel Island, the Blue Angels chose my boat as the focal point of a practice multi-plane Converge/cross over...freaking loud, awesome and astounding point of view of that stunt. We were the only boat nearby, made sense they picked us...so lucky. One of my buddies yelled right after "Best Damned Payback from my Taxes EVER!!!!" :D It really was.

p.s. They weren't quite as low as Chuck...I'd not blame Simon for sh**** his pants. :D

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Haha 1

Great PIREP Chuck! Nice choice of aircraft, definitely one I would choose myself.

Matt you remind me of an incident my wife and I had in the Lake District here in the UK when we were young. 

We had only been married a year and we went on holiday to the Lakes in August. The weather was fine, a hot day with not a cloud in the sky.  We took a rowing boat out on to Lake Windermere to enjoy a lazy day on the water.

I was rowing, my back towards the direction we were going with my beautiful new wife in front of me facing toward me.  I noticed what I thought was an insect above her head, which as I watched it grew bigger and bigger. The only sound was that of me rowing and the lap of water on the boats hull, but still this insect grew larger and larger.  Then suddenly, with a flash of a shadow the insect became a Harrier GR3 at it raced over us at full speed. The sound arrived only after the aircraft had overtaken us and was accompanied by a violent wash which nearly had the boat overturned. My wife who had had no warning was most distressed. I thought it was great.

• Like 1