Firstly, a Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans on this site!

I did make this post yesterday, but for some reason, it did not seem to appear on site!  :stars:

Anyway, I am wondering if there are any FSX experts who can help......at this point in time, quite often when I do a flight of more than about 20 mins, the flight just freezes.  You can hear sound, you can see the plane, but it is just there doing nothing!  I have tried using F5 to try and refresh it and get it working.  I have also done ctrl, alt and delete to see what is going on and it says that FSX has stopped responding.  Anybody have any ideas??!

While I am asking for advise, another issue is that I have Just Flight's Traffic 360 to add a bit of life and color to airports.  Recently, this stops working after a while with no pretty planes to look at.  I have tried increasing traffic on the settings of FSX but to no avail.  The only solution that I have found so far is to uninstall Traffic 360 and reload it.  Of course, the situation reappears after a few weeks!

Any help would be appreciated from you great guys and gals.

TIA

Martin

Hi Jess

I have Windows 7.  I know that it's an older computer but FSX has got very temperamental lately.  It has worked pretty well in the past at times, but is now giving issues.  I know that some more recent programs are geared towards more modern computers, such as MilViz stuff, in which I get some errors, such as 'Failed to load GS10 from memory', which I believe is due to me having an old video card.

I am going to take the PC in for a more up to date video card in a couple of weeks and also get them to check for any viruses that may have escaped my anti-virus program.

Any advice would be appreciated, but buying a new PC is out of the question at the moment.  By the way, I did try FSX Steam, and just did not get on with that!

Thanking you in advance.

Martin

I have the same issue at times Martin, the thing freezes for no apparent reason. However only with certain aircraft. Sometimes this means that you have run out of memory however not always as have had it happen after the computer has just been cleaned and defragged. I too run W7 ultimate and have over 1TB of available memory so it's bloody infuriating when you've done a perfect flight, are on approach and the whole thing crashes! I also run traffic 360 but so far not noticed any loss of traffic. However my Military traffic pack has never worked from the day I installed it! I hope you find an answer, but you'll be pleased to know you are not alone.

I don't have a definitive solution but you might consider the Steam Edition of FSX.  It can be picked up when they have a sale for a pretty reasonable price and I've found it to be more stable and better behaved than MS FSX.  They are essentially the same and you'd have no learning curve but Steam Edition has been updated and tweaked to make it more reliable and to better use the resources of the machine, so you should have a better experience.  Virtually any add-ons that work with FSX work with FSX-SE - there may be a few exceptions but not many.

The folder structure is the same but has a few extra layers on top of it, i.e. you'd find it installed in Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX.  Once you get down to the FSX level the file folders and file structures are the same as what you're used to in MS-FSX.

Happy Thanksgiving.  

John

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dodgy-alan said:

I have the same issue at times Martin, the thing freezes for no apparent reason. However only with certain aircraft. Sometimes this means that you have run out of memory however not always as have had it happen after the computer has just been cleaned and defragged. I too run W7 ultimate and have over 1TB of available memory so it's bloody infuriating when you've done a perfect flight, are on approach and the whole thing crashes! I also run traffic 360 but so far not noticed any loss of traffic. However my Military traffic pack has never worked from the day I installed it! I hope you find an answer, but you'll be pleased to know you are not alone.

Hi Alan

Thanks for your input.  I guess that it is good that neither of us are alone now, eh?!

Funny you should say about certain aircraft...I am not into long flights and usually do ones about 30 mins. or so just for fun.  One route I like is Manching in Germany to Aviano in Italy...I like flying over mountains.  Anyway, my point is that this problem usually happens just over the Alps!! Who knows...maybe the Burmuda Triangle has been relocated??!!   :P 

I think that my memory is fine (the computer...not my personal memory.....^_^) as I have lots left and have 8GB RAM.  I am pretty good at running system checks on most days to defrag and realign files.  As I said to Jess, I do plan on taking in the computer in a for a service in a couple of weeks and while I am at it, I know that they have a good system to check for any virus issues that may have eluded my anti-virus.

I know that there some people here who are great with the hassles of flight sim and am hoping to see if anyone else can give advise.  If so, it may now help the two of us with having the same issue!

Martin

Edited by Tristarcaptain
2 hours ago, allardjd said:

I don't have a definitive solution but you might consider the Steam Edition of FSX.  It can be picked up when they have a sale for a pretty reasonable price and I've found it to be more stable and better behaved than MS FSX.  They are essentially the same and you'd have no learning curve but Steam Edition has been updated and tweaked to make it more reliable and to better use the resources of the machine, so you should have a better experience.  Virtually any add-ons that work with FSX work with FSX-SE - there may be a few exceptions but not many.

The folder structure is the same but has a few extra layers on top of it, i.e. you'd find it installed in Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX.  Once you get down to the FSX level the file folders and file structures are the same as what you're used to in MS-FSX.

Happy Thanksgiving.  

John

Happy Thanksgiving too to you John

I did try FSX Steam shortly after it first came out.  I did not get on well with it at all. As you said that it has been updated, I may give it another try if the issues mentioned do not get resolved.

Best wishes

Martin

1 hour ago, phil white said:

Just a thought but there is a chance that the computers CPU (processor) might be overheating if a fan has stopped working.

That's an interesting thought.  When I get the PC serviced in a couple of weeks, I will ask them to check it out.

Thanks

Martin