FSX Power Project v4.3 soon to be released.

Have recently received a couple of members' e-mails wondering where I've got to...

The freeware FSX Power Project is still being developed & hopefully improved.

A new version should be released very soon, currently undergoing testing, possibly before the end of this year.

Anyone interested in designing wind farms may find my three animated wind turbine models useful - two 3-bladed models (fast & slow rotation) and a 2-blade model. Each model may have its blade length set by adjusting scale & the hub height set by using  a positive or negative altitude (the turbine's tower extends below ground level).

The models can be found at :

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=ray+porter&x=21&y=11

I have been having a prolonged break from flight simming, particularly scenery design, but after an eventful year including a long stay in New York and two strokes, now finds my interest in FSX renewed.

Additions & changes to FSX Power Project include a complete redesign to the steam effects resulting in less impact on frame-rates when the effects start up - this was a particular problem at Liverpool's John Lennon airport, being so close to Fiddler's Ferry power station.

Didcot power station has been modified due to half of its cooling towers being demolished and the wind turbines in Blyth, Northumberland have been removed to be replaced by a single larger turbine.

Many more UK offshore wind farms have been added including Rampion (116 turbines) close to the Shoreham airport flight path off the Sussex coast.

Further additions of satellite-earth stations and wind farms around the world are modelled - almost 14,000 wind turbines accurately scaled & positioned globally.

Incidentally, whilst in New York I was fortunate to explore Manhattan's Intrepid sea, air & space museum - notable exhibits include the Concorde sst, USS Growler submarine, and USS Intrepid aircraft carrier which houses numerous aircraft/spacecraft, the largest being the Enterprise space shuttle - well worth a visit.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all members & your families.

Ray.

Edited by flybytes
  • Like 2

Thanks Ray, Happy holidays to you and yours too.:) Good to see you back and I always look forward to new updates from you.:hat:

Sorry to hear about your medical problems, hope you are now in tip top shape and get to enjoy the hobby you have always enjoyed. :rockon:

Stay out of New York as it has been known to not be good for your health and why they have some of the best hospitals in the world.;) 

Excellent news Ray thanks!

Hope your health stays good, merry christmas to you and your family :)

FSXPP is a must have addon for me.  I'm particularly pleased re the updated effects (I disabled them after suffering precisely the problem you described at EGGP)

Kevin

Great to hear from you, Ray! I hope that your health issues are behind you, and I look forward to checking out v4.3 of the FSX Power Project. Just out of curiosity....have you added the two wind turbines at EGNX East Midlands? With respect to the steam effects, is this the reason why I experience excessive stutters in certain areas? I have noted the stuttering close to EGGP Liverpool, but it also happens elsewhere. It would be good to see an improvement in that department! :thum:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

I just found this topic, while looking for wind turbines for P3D.

Is this project still running? Can we expect 4.3 to be released soon (or ever)? I'm going to try 4.2, but thought I ask for 4.3, maybe it's already done and available somewhere.

One practical question: are these wind turbine models ambient animated? Models that align with wind direction and rotate according to wind speed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone.

Have finally got my act together and today uploaded FSX Power Project v5.0 to the Simviation web-site.

Find it at :

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=ray+porter&x=21&y=11

Thanks for your kind responses about my health. One reason I appeared to have dropped out of the Mutley community is that since my health problems last year a list of things can trigger severe nausea - this includes viewing computer screens, fluorescent lighting, bright sunlight & even the contrasting black & white squares in a crossword puzzle. Anyway the bouts of nausea are shortening & becoming less intense.

FSXPP v5.0 has now expanded the project to almost 17,000 wind turbines globally with more than 5,000 in the UK including almost every UK off-shore wind farm.

As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the smoke & steam effects have been modified to improve frame rates when flying within sight of the thermal power stations aided by the fact that some of them have been de-commissioned.

Many of you will be pleased to know that East Midlands airport in Leicestershire now has 2 animated wind turbines visible.

The project has grown and become more complicated to tie everything together, so this may be the last version unless feedback throws up any problems and a minor upgrade is required, although I may do the occasional add-on.

Let me know if anyone finds any problems - but I did develop the software on my desktop and transferred it to my laptop and all appears ok, on both FSX & FSX Steam edition.

szcsongor regarding your question about turbine animation - yes and no - yes the turbines are animated, the small turbines do spin faster than the larger ones, but no they do not rotate into the wind and do not stop rotating in zero wind speeds. I live within sight of 3 turbines and here in Yorkshire its very rare to not see them rotating.

Some years ago someone claimed to developed a wind turbine that would rotate into the wind, but never heard of it being used in freeware or commercial software.

My wind turbines are usually positioned to point into the prevailing trade winds which here in the UK are coming from the south-west.

Regards,

Ray Porter (flybytes).

Edited by flybytes
Missed szcsongor's question about wind turbine animation.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 26/09/2018 at 21:46, flybytes said:

szcsongor regarding your question about turbine animation - yes and no - yes the turbines are animated, the small turbines do spin faster than the larger ones, but no they do not rotate into the wind and do not stop rotating in zero wind speeds. I live within sight of 3 turbines and here in Yorkshire its very rare to not see them rotating.

Some years ago someone claimed to developed a wind turbine that would rotate into the wind, but never heard of it being used in freeware or commercial software.

My wind turbines are usually positioned to point into the prevailing trade winds which here in the UK are coming from the south-west.

Regards,

Ray Porter (flybytes).

Thank you very much, this is more than I expected: a brand new version of your project! :)

Regarding the ambient animated wind turbines, I think it's possible to do through SODE. I already use windsocks on my custom sceneries, where the socks turn into the current wind and even show the actual wind strength by being less or more filled with wind. So I think it's just a matter of modelling and configuring it according to SODE. But then it might not be possible to implement it into your scenery, since it would need native fsx/p3d animated objects, that react to the environment.

I actually would like to get all the windsocks for Sweden, where I live (and for Hungary, my home country :)), all with the above mentioned ambient animated turbines. I have seen that your scenery also contains Swedish ones, but probably not all (here we also have hundreds of them now). Can I ask from where did you get the accurate positions (GPS coordinates) for all the turbines? It seems to me that these data are usually not for free or at least not public. Other way is to look up all the sites on google earth, but that sounds very tedious :)

Edited by szcsongor

Dear szcsonger,

I did try to adapt a windsock design to fully animate one of my turbine models but the model seemed to fall apart, that was a few years ago - maybe I'll give it another go.

I believe I have included every UK off-shore wind except for a large one in the Irish Sea which came on line just a few weeks ago, just cannot currently obtain the turbine coordinates for it.

The coordinates for all the other off-shore wind farm were obtained from what I believe to be a government agency which freely produces Kingfisher charts for fishermen around the UK coastline. Find it here: http://www.kis-orca.eu/downloads#.W7OrD-R-vb0

These Charts are in pdf format but I believe fishermen can download them electronically in a format they use in their plotters.

Most of my onshore turbine coordinates are obtained using Google Earth or in a minority of cases Microsoft Bing Maps.

I have my desktop PC configured to make the task quicker - display Google E on one display & FSX plus scenery position tools on the other display so I can directly transfer the coordinates without having to write them down on paper. On a good day I can construct a 100 turbine wind farm to scale, compiled and ready for use in FSX in about 2-hours.

Regards for now,

Ray.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Dear Ray and others here,

Using your model I managed to make my own wind turbine scenery for Sweden. All turbines are ambient animated, rotating with the wind (direction and speed determined by the actual wind speed and direction).

It took some time to place all the 2500+ turbines. I made 4 different size variations from the base model and placed the most appropriate version where I could.

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm9fgqnqro88m1y/Wind-turbines_Sweden.rar?dl=0

You need SODE to use it.

• Like 1