Leg 21 - Nausori Intl NFNA to Fua'amotu Intl NFTF

Continued from the end of Leg 20...
We crept in to Nausori under the cover of darkness although the noise of the reverse thrust was enough to alert the whole town.
1.jpg

I waited for clearance to de-board the aircraft safe in the knowledge that JG had already stowed the baton in my next aircraft ready for the flight. Putinfeld’s goons weren’t expecting me and were loitering in the bar looking for the exchange of the baton. 

JG had already hightailed it out of town to Fua'amotu where we will meet in the bar. Then I’ll leapfrog JG to Niue and take the baton back from him and on to Rarotonga, where I am hoping the Coffmeister will be holed up waiting. These rather erratic actions should help to keep the goons guessing.
2.jpg

We made short shift of the departure. The RFDS were on a tour with their historic aircraft so the Dove was ideal cover for the 404nm flight to Tonga.
3.jpg

Leaving Fiji the skies were clear of any other aircraft, we were all alone?
4.jpg

This was a noisy pit but an aircraft I love flying ,especially as it has a GPS and modern navigation equipment to point it the right way in the Australian Outback.
5.jpg

Our first visual reference point is Moala Island, a volcanic island and one of many in Fiji’s Lau archipelago.

6moala.jpg

We reach the Antimeridian or International Date Line, a real milestone in our challenge
7antimeridan.jpg

Presently local time is 14:51 (UTC +11)
8am1.jpg

Tada! Now one mile further on it is still the same day but now 16:52 (UTC -11) Actually, this is incorrect, both Fiji and Tonga reside in a zone which is (UTC + 13) but hey, artistic licence and all that!

9am2.jpg

Shortly after, we pass our second visual reference point, the very distinctive horseshoe-shaped Totoya Island, part of the same archipelago as Moala Island.
10totoya.jpg

Still the skies are clear of other aircraft, but we keep scanning.  Now there's 150 nm to go and we have the reassuring station ident of TBU coming in from the VOR on Tonga.  
11.jpg

Now we only have about 20 nm miles to go, we are in touch with the tower and we are vectored straight in #1 to land on runway 11.
12.jpg

The lights had me too high all the way in, but the proximity of the ground was telling me otherwise.
14.jpg

On short final I had this eerie feeling we were being watched.
16a.jpg

Even with an audience and being blown about in the crosswind, we had a good landing.
15.jpg

I keep it rolling to the end of the runway and head off for the commercial area.
18.jpg

The Gateway café is my destination but on the company frequency I get a message from Jasmine, “Boss, change of plan, go to Plan-G, I repeat, go to Plan-G ” I sure hope Putinfeld’s goons don’t have a scanner.
19.jpg

Parked up, I slip away into the woods where Jasmine is waiting, we’re off to rendezvous with  JG down at his apartment at Halafuoleva Beach.

20.jpg

Phew! 

:heat:

This flight is dedicated to Rosario and his family who are in bereavement this Christmas.  grouphug.gif (Group hug)

Scenery: Orbx Global
Aircraft: Just Flight Dove

On 22/12/2017 at 20:13, mutley said:

This flight is dedicated to Rosario and his family who are in bereavement this Christmas.  grouphug.gif (Group hug)

Joe, thank you and all the hangar for your thoughts and the group hug. I feel comfortable here!

I was ready for this leg. I even edited the two airports with custom afcads. But thursday morning my father has passed after being ill 7 years. We all were prepared for this moment, but you can be the strongest man in the world, this hurts so bad.

I enjoyed your flight.

Thank you so much.

• Like 3

Getting in on the group hug to you Ros. My sincere condolences. :( 

Good on you Joe for dashing in to fill Ros' route shoes...it was a lovely flight, thankfully uneventful, in a lovely bird. Good call employing a Flying Doctor craft as they do tend to fly above suspicion i'd imagine.

• Like 1

Clever PIREP Joe and well presented.:thum: Yet we have to wonder if it was clever enough.:D

My thoughts and prayers go out to Rosario and his family at this time, may you grieve well and your memories stay strong.:cray:

• Like 1

Great PIREP Boss. There is no time to fly home for Christmas but the spooks are laying on the full chtistmas meal if you want to join me.

The down side is that it is all microwave stuff. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 20:10, rosariomanzo said:

Joe, thank you and all the hangar for your thoughts and the group hug. I feel comfortable here!

I was ready for this leg. I even edited the two airports with custom afcads. But thursday morning my father has passed after being ill 7 years. We all were prepared for this moment, but you can be the strongest man in the world, this hurts so bad.

I enjoyed your flight.

Thank you so much.

I'm so very sorry Ros.. Been away from things for a few weeks and was going through things in order..

My thoughts and condolences to you. wishing you well xx

• Thanks 1