REX announce Sky Force 3D

From REX Studios:

Sky Force 3D is a complete overhaul of the 3D weather model and texture/atmospheric effects experience while bringing dimension to FSX, FSX Steam, and Prepar3D v1, 2, 3 and 4.

THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED BY:

*          Re-designing the 3D cloud model structure and SDK and patterning it after real-world cloud classifications.

*          Developing a real-world cloud model system including (but not limited to) cloud streets, supercells, wall clouds, funnel, shelf, rain shaft, and tornadoes.

*          Integrating a weather engine that harnesses over 70,000 points of weather data globally. The weather engine reads and interprets live model data to sample the atmosphere and therefore will sync the appropriate clouds structures, allowing for more accuracy.

*          Incorporating synchronization technology which dynamically syncs 3D cloud model structures in real-time during flight. 

*          Increasing frame rates by eliminating unnecessary cloud sprites for all cloud types.

*          Restructuring the Cloud SDK. No more upside down clouds in bizarre and unrealistic positions, or cloud bases that are presented with repeating patterns.

*          Elevating the visual experience through our natural, photo-based environment texture technology while exploiting the power of PTA integration.

*          Developing single-session cloud texture variation, allowing more variety during a flight session.

PRODUCT FEATURES:

*          3000+ Cloud Models/Structures (Based on real-world cloud classification)

*          Dynamic Synchronization

*          New Cloud SDK (No more upside-down clouds or repeating cloud bottoms)

*          20GB Natural Photo-Based Environment Textures

*          New Weather Engine

*          Integrated Flight Center

*          Interactive Mapping System

*          Built-in PTA Integration

*          Innovative Sky and Sun Atmospherics

*          New Lightning Effects

*          New HD Environment Sound Effects

*          All Packaged in a 4.6GB Download, Expandable to 20GB

*          Compatible With All Other Weather Engines and Environment Products

*          ... and Much More!

Previous owners of REX product can get 15% off this product 

For More info: http://www.rexskyforce.com/

Not yet Kevin, I have it installed but it's too early to say how good the weather engine is, but the cloud textures are looking awesome when running as a totally REX set up. I haven't tried it with ASP4 as the weather engine yet but will do as time allows. It will be a while until I can review it as I have two other commissions to come first.

Joe

Cheers Joe,

For me I'm hearing about weather redraws (something which AS appeared to have eliminated or reduced considerably), weather radar compatibility and how many of the SF3D features actually require use of their internal weather engine to work.

As I understand it now, reports are indicating great cloud representations, but immersion busting weather redraws, wxr incompatibilities with PMDG etc (there are others as well, be interested to see how other study-level aircraft fare?) and having read the manual quite a few of the 'lesser' functions requiring the REX weather engine to work (p64,66,67,68).

K

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't witness the weather redraws (yet) but I have only flown once from Liverpool to Bham in a GA aircraft. 

The options which require the REX weather engine look to be mostly the dynamic ones, you could liken it to ASP4 using Cloud Art dynamically?

this has kind of confused me.......to much fizzy water at Christmas........I use REX4 texture Direct along with Soft Clouds and AS16 for weather....does this replace part of that? does it replace AS16?.......unless it's a massive leap forward from what I have read I don't really see the point.......not for my set up anyway, but I am happy to be corrected....

2 hours ago, wain said:

this has kind of confused me.......to much fizzy water at Christmas........I use REX4 texture Direct along with Soft Clouds and AS16 for weather....does this replace part of that? does it replace AS16?.......unless it's a massive leap forward from what I have read I don't really see the point.......not for my set up anyway, but I am happy to be corrected....

REX SF3D is a complete new cloud and sky texture set replacement and weather engine. It can be used just for the new cloud textures with Active Sky which (it appears) still has a superior weather engine, like you are using REX TD/SC and AS16 now. Or, you can use it as the weather generator as well which will use some bespoke dynamic textures depending on the weather situation.  You can download the user manual for free on their site for the complete picture. 

1 hour ago, brett said:

All good points, also no mention what it is like when flying into the clouds or mist from the cockpit.

@brettFrom what I have experienced so far, the in-cloud motion effects are still there.

• Thanks 1

I have just installed this software into a new P3D v4.1 install. I am trying to use the included weather engine but cant seem to start the weather engine.

When I start the software it tels me that the weather engine is disconnected.  I then click on the rest button and the disconnected warning changes to Resetting Weather Engine.

It then sits at this state for ever.  Joe have you managed to link in to the weather engine?  if so, did it do so out of the box or did you have to configure something?

Hi JG,

The flight sim has to be running in order for the WX engine to be enabled. Also, make sure you have the WX engine enabled in the settings - Engine page (see below)

shot1.jpg

• Like 1

do we have any more on this? how are you all getting on with it? are you using the built in weather engine or AS16? are the textures an improvement on REX4 TD?

still can't really get any good info on this, YT presents a lot of waffle and over at AVSIM they seem to argue a lot, very tedious looking through posts about nothing...

have a discount from JF now but just unsure if it is worth changing, I see it also comes with PTA profiles and compatability......

Hi Wayne.

So I have REX SF textures loaded and Active Sky weather engine and that is ok.

However, in order to use the REX feature of syncing cloud models/structures during your flight you have to have REX FS running in the background with it's weather engine feature turned off. The trouble is after a short while a .NET runtime error happens and I am not sure that the clouds are syncing so until they fix that I don't have SF running in the background.

So in conclusion, I am enjoying the new cloud textures from Sky Force but still running Active Sky to generate the real world weather. My advice is to stick with what you have for the time being unless you fancy some new cloud textures. 

/Joe

• Like 1

thanks for the info Joe, I will stick with what I have at he moment.....I am thinking maybe in time if they get it all working well then as it's all one package doing everything it could run well with less resources......

5 hours ago, wain said:

thanks for the info Joe, I will stick with what I have at he moment.....I am thinking maybe in time if they get it all working well then as it's all one package doing everything it could run well with less resources......

Exactly what I'm doing Wayne. As Joe says, stick with what you have for now. I am running Rex4 with ASN for my weather engine and it all works rather well. I have enough cloud textures to be going on with. So until they have sorted out all the little glitches, I'm staying put with what I have.