Just Flight Chipmunk driving me nuts!

This is a plea to all those who own the JF Chipmunk.

I have just installed the aircraft into P3D v4.1 and am having issues with fuel.

There are two tanks on the Chipmunk. one in each wing the gauges for which are actually in the wing itself.

In the cockpit there is a leaver that controls the fuel, but this is just a simple on/off device. I have just completed my first Chipmunk long distance flight in which I needed both tanks.  However when the right tank emptied the engine stopped, the left tank was still full. I frantically searched for some control to switch to the other tank but couldn't find one. I paused the sim and went through the both cockpits and then the manual with no luck. I then went to the web and found references to a fuel control valve but with no clue to where it was.

Is this a bug in the P3D version or id there a fuel control valve hiding somewhere?

I hope someone here can put me right before I go to JF.

JG 

EDIT.  Looking at the real world pilots manual for the chipmunk I can only see the one control for fuel as both tanks are linked, so this may be a bug. Can anyone disprove this? 

Edited by J G

The JF DHC-1B Chipmunk is meant to supply fuel from both tanks and does not have a fuel tank selector. The only fuel control is the fuel cock, to the left of the control column, which only switches the fuel supply off and on.

Such problems as you describe, are normally a simple issue with the [fuel] section of the aircraft config file (the [fuel] section is towards the bottom of the file, just before the [EFFECTS] and [airplane_geometry] sections. In this case, in order to correct the problem, make the following edit:

• number_of_selectors=2 (on install, it is set to 1).

IMPORTANT NOTE. Exit P3D before making this edit. Only because if you make the edit whilst P3D is running it takes a while for the sim to recognise the change.

The JF DHC-1B-2 Chipmunk (bubble canopy expansion pack) has a fuel selector lever in place of the fuel cock to switch between the two tanks and switch the fuel supply off. Consequently, the above edit does not need to be made to the aircraft config file for this aircraft.

• Like 2

I’m so glad I could solve your JF DHC-1 Chipmunk fuel problem for you. No, really, don’t mention it, the pleasure was all mine. I enjoy nothing more than to spend my time solving other people’s problems for them, sitting up into the early hours responding, rather than going to bed and worrying about it in the morning, just so an immediate fix was provided for you.

But to not even receive a simple acknowledgement or thanks.

Good luck with your next problem, but don’t expect the same level of assistance to be forthcoming. In future you might find more than just a simple fuel problem driving you nuts!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hi Andrew.  I have just picked up your message.  Thanks for your help I will try out your suggestion just as soon as I can, work is busy and I cant always react quickly to helpful posts like yours.

• Like 1

Considering you had been back on the site multiple times in the 24 hrs since the solution was posted, including reading this thread, and raising yet another detailed problem in another thread (don’t you just hate Forum tracking), I guess work must get real busy for you on Sunday’s too.

The posted solution is not a “suggestion”, as you put it, it is a permanent fix, otherwise I wouldn’t have wasted my time. I know this because I spent a good part of that time into the small hours testing it before posting the solution.

• Sad 2

Thanks for the fix Andrew, it worked well.

Things do get "real busy" for me at the weekends. My father has cancer and is only expected to live a few weeks so I tend to spend time with him.  How was your weekend.

Stop making a tit of yourself.

• Like 2