Leg 25: NTAA to NTTO

After listening to Matt's tale I am stunned.  And can't think what someone might have dropped into his drink.  I look into my own and pray that I do not suffer the same fate.  "Hey, take it easy buddy.  I'll take it from here."

I order him a drink  and a shrimp cocktail and head out of the lounge with the baton in my shoulder pack.

I had this flight planned out and was looking forward to sightseeing the Atolls along my route.  The twin otter was ready too. 

y4mrnGKDMtimlt2thtdrHKMStLVOtVRFBMxlTFPi

Thanks Matt, I'll take it from here!

y4mn6wpRzuKsf_y1Zih3__T38afDxlHvcOk_OX34

Here is the plan I worked up to a) be relativity sure of where I was visually and b) have some chance of reaching land in case of an emergency.

And I would be getting a good look at these Atolls to boot.

y4mD6vnBAnFJiQ1XMNSunxyltUqQRRmrz_zs399R

She just wasn't flying right so I landed at NTGC.  The right flap seemed to be jammed out not too bad, but I did notice a bit of a clear slime on the wing.  Hmm.  Wonder what that could be?

Anyway, the mechanic there was a real master of the craft!  He was working so fast!  If I didn't know better, I'd say he must have had eight arms to that much work in such a short time...

But, done it was.  And there was no charge!  Can you believe my luck?!

Flying again!

y4mcK5WKYPkgUybafFUdhrDeZmRezIhlNyfVPMMV

y4mt4DsONxkgHQjixqrgp8aRAJ9VsEAkHxYR2HxN

y4mb6nP5l-IeDzDLKAgHozAtBONr7OoHBt9PoOLE

The view was spectacular!  Imagine being here in the 1950's.  Seafood, sunsets, and the glow of atomic weapons tests to sweep the clouds away.

y4mDJhB8Uc1e_neR6t5l2HR87wtT835mDUHYQq5d

I eventually turned south toward the AA NDB and from there, turn east heading 88*; it was 264 miles of nothing but water. 

This was a great exercise in VOR and NDB navigation.  I had the GPS available, but refrained from using it to build skill with the NAV radios.  Lots of fun.  And I learned how to paint my airplane too!

Turning final at NTTO.

y4mx9HZkVGFQsGDoWLeHJ5IwpuQzwwnc3xTuUoM-

Not quite sure where to go I head over to Admin to see if Jess has come in yet.

y4m6KCjkJC0MM11YJfaRvoGMtltSnjal-4MF7xqw

Now, where did I put that baton?

• Like 3

Nice job with the VOR nav challenge completed Mr. Mike!. Old School spiral bound Notep'lanners can't be beat for setting up a route...and no way for squ...bugs to mess up a GPS plan while carrying a sensitive cargo. 

Def consider joining the MEBAR next time if you enjoyed that kind of thing...it's a VOR sightseeing blast, thanks to the fine work/advance planning of A.Godden good planner here on the board.

"...can't think what someone might have dropped into his drink".

Cheers, keep telling yerself and others that and everything will be just fine. Leave the ..bugs to (THR)us(Hush).

• Like 1

Beautiful day for flying and atoll hunting, made for some great shots. Great PIREP, excellent choice of aircraft dig the mischievous paint work and nice to see someone using the same scratch pad for flying I use.:) Well done Mike. :thum:

• Like 1
On 1/17/2018 at 20:01, Captain Coffee said:

Def consider joining the MEBAR next time if you enjoyed that kind of thing...it's a VOR sightseeing blast, thanks to the fine work/advance planning of A.Godden good planner here on the board.

Oh, definitely.  Last year's MEBAR is what brought me here and I absolutely loved it.  I even made up my own little route through the Canadian Rockies to settle the withdrawals of the MEBAR being over.  But it wasn't the same without reading through other pilots posts over the same route.

4 hours ago, mutley said:

Well done Mike, I really enjoyed your flight, somehow the baton feels a lot more secure in your hands!

You'll be pleased that the MEBAR is already in preparation :thum:

YAY!!!!!  I've been waiting for this since April!

Thank you all for your comments.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, hlminx said:

Sorry i'm tardy with my reply..

Grand PIREP Mike... not sure what worries me more.. the scary face icon or the scary flight calculations. I was always a lover of detail.. you smashed it

Indeed, details can make all the difference.  :whis:

y4mBkKPat5uQWAA8UWiabID7SKDmM_gAobNOK-zx

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 3