blind hope

thanks guys, I actually really enjoyed the flight, just a simple plane on a positioning flight, stated it with snow, then at 6000ft all was clear above the clouds, then broken until about 15nm out, down through the murk, was watching a weather front building up on AS16 moving map, was very immersive.....

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 04:11, rosariomanzo said:

Nicely done!

+1  There are guys who do this regularly, for a living, but it's always very gratifying for a sim pilot when it all comes together like that.  The automation and instrumentation work, when you know how to use them properly, but it's a perishable skill; familiarity and practice help a lot.

John

I did a demo of an ILS approach to minimums once at a flight sim club meeting a long time ago and thought I was doing great until I heard a couple of voices behind me say, almost simultaneously, "That's a bust!"  It turns out, and I didn't realize, that for an FAA check ride for an Instrument Rating, if you get below the glide slope even by a tiny amount, it's a fail.  I was probably a needle width or two below, not grossly out but they informed me that the feds do not typically allow any wiggle room on that.  That being the case, I guess CFIIs would be singing from the same sheet of music.

I suppose that means that if you're hand flying the approach you should deliberately err slightly to the high side.  If it's a coupled approach and you're merely "monitoring the autopilot" you should know and react instantly if Otto gets too low and, presumably call it a missed approach.  I don't have any real world experience in the instrument environment but these guys were current or former pros with a lot of hours so I guess they must have known what they were talking about.

John

That feeling is even better in real life when you have paying passengers in the back.  Great shot and atmosphere!

And John, the PTS/ACS/whatever they call it now says +100 ft -0 ft for altitude discrepancy on either the instrument or II checkrides

Edited by remingtonbox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 26/01/2018 at 21:40, remingtonbox said:

That feeling is even better in real life when you have paying passengers in the back.  Great shot and atmosphere!

And John, the PTS/ACS/whatever they call it now says +100 ft -0 ft for altitude discrepancy on either the instrument or II checkrides

must make your palms even sweatier in real life though, I was so close to going around.......

• Like 1