Woman Denied Emotional Support Peacock on United Flight

You can't make this stuff up.  The article claims that even though told three times before coming to the airport that she wouldn't be able to board the animal, the prospective passenger and her "companion" still showed up and made the attempt.

Sounds like another entitled individual attempting to game the rules with complete indifference to anyone else's comfort, safety or rights.  This whole business with support animals is getting out of hand, at least in the US.  

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rules around all of this in the US are quite frankly ridiculous.  It would seem that you can get away with taking almost anything on and passing it as 'emotional support'  Thankfully the rules here in Europe are much tighter, and certainly where I work; unless the animal is for a valid reason (I.E guide dog) then you won't be getting very far.  Most other carriers have an almost identical policy.

Edited by The red barron
On 30/01/2018 at 22:26, hifly said:

Seriously! What is the world coming to?

The bus driver wouldn't let me on with my emotional support giraffe. 

During the mid 80s when I was driving buses in Leeds, Yorkshire, I had a couple get on my bus with a couple of snakes. I wasn't sure of the regs concerning snakes as we only usually carried dogs (and in some parts of Leeds not all of them were canine!) . Anyway I contacted my control room via the radio to ask if we charged them by the foot! The controller said that they were not on the banned list nor were they chargeable so I let them on. They were pythons so not venomous and indeed the baby Royal was only 2ft long so I borrowed it for a while as a scarf! You should have seen the number of passengers who suddenly got off when the snakes got on though! On other runs I also carried a pair of piglets and a newborn lamb! On the rural routes you had to be prepared for anything!

• Haha 2

I have to disagree with most of the comments posted on this thread.  I can fully understand how a peacock can be an emotional support, in the same way as any comfort food can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another article...

"Pigs might fly, but they shouldn’t do so as service animals"

"This is both broadening the types of animals that are being brought into the cabin—without even a crate or cage—to Monty Pythonesque proportions. Pigs, peacocks, possums, snakes and spiders are among animals that passengers have insisted are essential to their health."

John
19 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

My emotionally supportive saltwater Angelfish aquarium can be emotionally draining at airports having to deal with all the officious wet rags there.

Try switching to a Piranha, or maybe a Spectacled Cobra, or maybe even a Komodo Dragon (assuming you can't get a real dragon).

Of course they've sucked all the fun out of flying commercial these days anyway - why should you have any emotional support that might lessen the effect of that?

John

And another one :stars:

A woman flushed her emotional support hamster down an airport toilet after an airline refused to let her fly with it. Belen Aldecosea was twice told by Spirit Airlines she could bring the animal, called Pebbles, on board – only for them to deny it access when she turned up at Baltimore Airport last November. Recalling the moment she killed the dwarf hamster, Belen, 21, said: ‘I didn’t have any other options, She was scared. ‘I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet. ‘I was emotional. I was crying. I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.’

Edited by CAT3508
  • Sad 1
On 30/01/2018 at 20:12, allardjd said:

You can't make this stuff up.  The article claims that even though told three times before coming to the airport that she wouldn't be able to board the animal, the prospective passenger and her "companion" still showed up and made the attempt.

Sounds like another entitled individual attempting to game the rules with complete indifference to anyone else's comfort, safety or rights.  This whole business with support animals is getting out of hand, at least in the US.  

John

Stick the Peacock on the first class menu, and put the woman in the hold (stuitably bound and gagged).. :fool:

She is obviously off with fairies..

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:24, CAT3508 said:

And another one :stars:

A woman flushed her emotional support hamster down an airport toilet after an airline refused to let her fly with it. Belen Aldecosea was twice told by Spirit Airlines she could bring the animal, called Pebbles, on board – only for them to deny it access when she turned up at Baltimore Airport last November. Recalling the moment she killed the dwarf hamster, Belen, 21, said: ‘I didn’t have any other options, She was scared. ‘I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet. ‘I was emotional. I was crying. I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.’

She could of stayed home or left it with a neighbor so she could face time with it, I guess it didn't really mean that much to her if she flushed it.:rolleyes: 

There's more to the hamster story.  Apparently the rodent-lady called the airline multiple times to confirm she could fly with the little rat (they're all rats) and was told, "no problem", before going to the airport.   She was returning home to have some surgery for what is alleged to be a painful medical issue, or so the story goes.  All possible, I guess but I really raise my eyebrows at an "emotional support hamster".  Sorry - if you're so bad off that you need a rodent to assure your mental comfort and perhaps to avoid panic attacks, you have no business even being out on the streets without something much more intelligent than a hamster (another human, perhaps) to see to your well-being.  There's no way you should be flying on a commercial aircraft.  

I'll acknowledge that some people certainly need service animals and maybe even some need them for emotional support/comfort/well-being.  OK - fair enough - but if they're going to be introduced into a crowded place with no escape for several hours (e.g. an airliner pax cabin) they should be restricted to species that are intelligent enough to be trainable, tractable enough to not be liable to exhibit dangerous, unsanitary or annoying behavior, or at least be small enough to be easily restrained or confined if that becomes desirable.  Credentials certifying that the animal is trained and the patient/person requires it should be mandatory.  Failing that, it's just a pet (or livestock) and needs to be transported as such.  Peacocks, with or without credentials, don't make the cut in my opinion.  Put Plumey in a cage in the baggage compartment with the rest of the freight and get over it.

I'm a little sympathetic to the hamster lady for the loss of her pet but I suspect it was just that, a pet, not a bona fide service animal.  Like many others these days, it seems likely to me that she was just gaming the system to avoid the cost and hassle of shipping him/her/it/whatever as freight, as people had to do in the past before the current menagerie of "emotional support [insert creature name here]" became all the rage.  I also can't really blame people for being tempted to strike back at the airlines wherever and whenever they can, but in doing so, folks should have the decency to consider the impact on other pax too.  The hamster probably would have been pretty innocuous during a flight, but the peacock almost certainly would have been the life of the party and not in a good way.

John