Identifying one's position

On any airport how does one find one's position when selecting one of those parked up positions within SE: FSX.

For example, take Farnborough, a simple airfield, the starting  parked up positions offered within the sim appear to bear no relationship to those shown on the ICAO Aerodrome chart.

To be more specific, where on the ICAO chart do I find "Parking 1 (or 2) on Ramp GA Medium?

When one operates out of Heathrow then the choice becomes even more confusing for me.

What's the answer, most helpful team?

Hi James,

Firstly, make sure you can see your aircraft label by switching it on in Options/Information.

Then press F12 back in the sim to get you into overhead view, this should show you where you are parked.

Goid luck

Brian

Ah ha! That helps but why do those start positions listed within the sim fail to relate to those shown n the ICAO charts? I have been using that F12 view already. 

Thanks for your swift reply, needles. 

The default airports are not up to date with the ICAO charts, so you will likely find some parkings scattered around the apron with no relation with real ICAO charts. You may look for an updated afcad at the usual sites (avsim, flightsim.com, ...) and have the exact location of the stands. I've learned how to edit an airport layout using simple tools such as Airport Design Editor and try to stay up to date, at least with the airports I use most.

Or you may download the excellent charts by @allardjd from Mutley's archive here which are based on default FSX airports.

• Thanks 1

Using John Allard's airport diagrams should help, they are drawn up using the default data from the sim, so the stands and parking positions should be numbered the same as what you see.

Have a look here - http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/topic/23067-airport-diagram-download-center/  this is free service for our members very generously offered by John.

Thanks for the mention Ros!

• Thanks 1

I don't label or depict the parking positions on the charts, though there are usually painted lines on the pavement that do show on the charts.  A quick look at the top-down view as needles recommends (right click on the windshield area, then Outside > Top-Down) will show you where you are on the airport.  There will be a red cross showing your location.  Zoom in or out with the + and - keys. 

Return to the cockpit with a right click in the windshield area, then Cockpit and then choose 2D or Virtual cockpit.

I generally pick a parking area of the appropriate size for my aircraft more or less at random.  If there's already traffic in that spot FS will magically eliminate it.

John

I have recently started using Little Nav Map, a freeware program, and it depicts parking spaces as green circles of appropriate size when you zoom into airports that have parking spots...all are numbered and so far seem to correspond well to the airports I have visited using LNM in FSX. It is as well a terrific flight planner and easily saves .pln files to the FSX appropriate folder along with the Start positions/parking spot chosen... and can send that info to FSX when you load the FP and allow it to "move aircraft to starting position".

cheers.

7 minutes ago, Onward79 said:

I've installed into Program Files (x86) but nothing is appearing on my Desktop or within my Start Lists. 

That is because the LNM installation process is not a true installation, i.e. it just copies the files into the specified directory structure.

You need to create a Shortcut on the Desktop. This Shortcut needs to point to the littlenavmap.exe.