Leg 28 Desierto De Atacama (SCAT) > Itaipu International (SGIB)

No boxed lunch this round. So no calamari till dinner time I'm afraid. I'm filling in this leg to plug a hole in our ATWC pilot schedule, and despite volunteering to stand in the breech, real world dental breaches distracted me a bit from publishing this leg...neverthelesss, the show must go on.

Using my new status as a member of the THRUSH organization, I have carte blanche to "check out" and exercise any of our vehicle resources stashed around the globe, this will prove quite handy, and possibly random for upcoming ATWC legs wherever they may be.

The best THRUSH resource available in the current area was a looker, but not well suited for snacking whilst flying...sigh...a few power bars will have to suffice for this trip.

We have a mothballed F-100 Ex-Thunderbird #6 stored in the area. I retrieve it from a secret resource base, and head to SCAT...STAT.

I may have even seen this very bird perform while I was a child at an airshow...somewhere in California...my sub 5 year old memories are not very reliable.

Nor are 50+ memories when beset with teeth pain.

I stock up on some codeine for the trip, benzocaine and a stock of cotton tip applicators and ready this lovely thing for flight...the un'pickling work helped to distract from my toothache.

Upon arrival at SCAT I find an electronic message indicating that the long since departed Chuck has used the tried and true secure tranfer method "Bus Station locker" to pass on the baton...the key for which is handed to me by a serious looking security officer who met me at the airport parking ramp on arrival...a firightened looking guy twice my weight and half again my height was told to give it to Captain Coffee arriving in something unmistakable...or Else...not sure what story Chuck told the guy but he was extremely happy to be lightened of the orange plastic fobbed burden for locker number 66.

I find the station, retrieve the baton and a bottle of tequila (Thanks Chuck!!!), and head back to the airport for a bit of relax at the pilot lounge with a lovely bottle of Silver. I'll probably sack out on the couch here, can't be arsed to book a room as I plan to roll out very early for the first of two legs.

The next morning, I am ready to roll for my flight in the predawn light at SCAT Desierto De Atacama...fueled to the brim and external ferry tanks even installed, to allow a brisk climb to FL35.

I don't expect any "Trouble" on this leg as it is mostly landlocked...but fast and high is both safe and fuel efficient in this bird.

y4mOekhkZzpUb42tnyIp-WPaq5h8tyLVMrsbzd8n

Taxi.

y4mI9IKlw500KoZKBjrx5325VNWm5GdLiwYJ2fIc

Permission to Take Off at 35:

y4myfe3XdXatgn5ixCQds87RgCIm5T9sgwIIIsHu

I get a tiny bit squirrelly with the AB thrust and get slightly off center...but the nose stays pointed the right way...all golden.

y4mhBmudRMYIsGVbX3BMKXVOCXcq1HjB4ZFgJ7ej

I keep the AB on for just a bit to ensure I clear those ominous silhouettes ahead. 

y4mebQlWcC6ei-qkU3jQ0gzBpzU9zR7AWrzSfb2c

AB off when I'm certain I'm alti'safe.

y4mkh3UQE5DocayN9Oh2RVoFnVmpWbFesZgauLNz

And we relax into a nice Cruise into the sunrise at 35K.

y4mPYBIPV2sWr-bGkWZS1z0sJpIhDDQBPDzELY9v

Almost clear of the mountains before the sun is fully up.

y4mwZI5XFIUP-pacgu7ngev3f8Z2LZQ62ZyJc20q

Left to Right Pan shots:

y4mHCyhwNMspsZgL78dnWt1aSt5RNOBjRewhvkn6

y4m225pq09IVZUJq-44SMEK1ou4l4UQd-prG3rOu

y4mExxMuPhkrIOVmHAeWYSw5lpSQOqKbQURHIgyF

y4m92FN8FhuPKOYYkX8MCMVAfZ3TbzWdRIRKQxUF

Passing over the Paraguay River:

y4m0igdF-RK7sWBQ_VX-NK1u9euKh0-678IfoMwo

About 125 miles out of SGIB I begin my descent, and add a bit of AB just to pop over Mach1 on the way down.

y4mGOvv5OMOwXz3tWgfbcgoShq-y0aIeOUJF8kKA

I have some weather ahead, just a smallish cell of squall that should clear before well SGIB.

y4mzQTStDzHVw94BIzOhqccVMRrCwrljrqBc0FRr

A bit buffety, but not to bad in this.

y4mcy__oqGRSkNj3CrqvihaIgzFZBUhHZAb3n7lR

Caught a nice little Forker below me as I was clearing the weather...a parting shot.

y4msz4fsO8vZ_Gay3uLR1pH40Zg9ZnfvQeQiNjIe

Out in clear air again.

y4mr170pfYIre1iybbjl5urfMBBE9UgIeHvDhBq4

"Enter Right Base for 03...and Cleared to land" come in over the radio in fairly quick succsuccession. 

y4m5Zh2pZgg3boBIYkD8YmKD0SrNU0MDahJgAIOk

I'm on the glideslope...not using ILS to land, this is an all Matt'ual landing. This thing always feels a ungainly to me on approach...

y4meaG1xv7oU9nvyuxUqDcYA3hi37cIFhNEfHNAR

And this shot explains why it feels ungainly, it looks ungainly even at 170kts full flaps....like a goose preparing for a big splash.

y4md1FKP2QQpy8KMnfKB6n1esY2PXfonOzNC0PMn

Ah Chute...Thankful for this or the runway length would have felt much shorter.

y4mT5Mt5LkbPt3rEnguRkLCZSAkyWkcXZKVQlp_L

Taxiing to parking

y4mFbDq4lhRhU63VSzw6f7YvouzH4qtcxYOwTlBs

Parked and provisioning for the next leg. Fuel order has been placed, and the calamari order I have been dreaming of on the way will be ordered very shortly. The Baton and I, along with the remainder of Chuck's Silver bottle head for the Pilot lounge.

y4mHkdQTkqUAUn0iSQzKVJHF-_1g896WVow656OA

I will attend to the next leg hopefully in short order, again, possibly flying the leg by this Thursday.

Cheers, 
Matt.

Addons used:

Milviz F100-D

OrbX South America/Global/Vectors

Active Sky Next

Rex Textures/Soft Clouds

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...