Leg 29 Itaipu International (SGIB) > Santos Dumont (SBRJ) Rio De Janero

Back in the saddle after a fruitless search for a local dentist, after waking up with a blazing hot canine my plans for a Next Day leg got hobbled. It turns out that not even in Paraguay can one find a dentist willing to install a DentiCal approved pre-manufactured crown...but that is an entirely different saga. :( 

After liberally dousing my searing tooth with benzocaine, washing down a few aceto's with tequila'cain, and applying a coating of clove oil to top off the preflight for my tooth...I preflight the F-100D and set forth on the second of two legs. Other than a cranky tooth, this will hopefully be another uneventful pleasure cruise and scenic PIREP...again, calamari free till dinner time in Rio this time.

This is a mere flight of less than 700 miles, so I am planning to dog leg it to the coast unannounced while VFR'ing my way to Rio, for more views of the lovely coast (My flight plan called for a straight shot across land to Rio de Janeiro...however that sounded boring with a tantalizing coastline just "right over there"...but I for one do not wish to advertise that I am approaching a coastline for reasons that don't need reexplaining after many thousands of words in the last sectors I flew). Again there is a cell of weather to transverse between Itaipu and the coast, and some low clouds may be moving into Rio by the time I arrive. On departure it is lovely and mostly clear...I'll take a moment to have a look at the local wonder, the Itaipu hydroelectric dam project, on the way out of here.

y4mD7YGhyNDgg3mCHoz9ncoV6VvBS6rRKbuB676h

After getting taxi clearance: "Use runway 3 to 21"

y4mFvTk722YfbfF4amQuea9xh46cHQfE-W7m-5Yp

Take off approved and I'm off.

y4my1ZyVegcVH57C4oPUfWlMJSILxFqd9okhs9lS

After a heavy feeling but stall free sashay around to port I head over the dam

Well...DAMn. Regrettably the Itaipu dam is not modeled in ORBx South America, or my settings are messed up. Rats if the former, apologies if the later.

y4mdfbuUiKBduOOJobXBmKwDdz0S7w-AuYoSi5dQ

I was expecting to see something there, it's only like the world's largest hydroelectric producer:

Not wishing to violate any image permissions or plagiarize, I'll share this link to a Wiki article on the pretty amazing project, it's worth a look:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itaipu_Dam

I begin my climb to cruising altitude as i pass over this huge man made lake, kinetic power source, and agricultural powerhouse. My cruise height will be just 30,000 today, lower once I approach the coastline for a better look.

y4mHwQpMkrF0zAY5VIbPotzRrK9CzdYLjythTTQ9

Passing the Iguaçu National Park

y4mDmN-Q8LV0On6seHs3VRnwanrskjMQBdo18UzB

I generally follow the Iguazu river towards the coastline.

y4m9uZ6X409z-8QUghC_z6okg6vdFJuQqN2IAnQD

y4m7C-VV2OCUvSQd9iG1Gv7LL2W7sW2ItQBHh1mr

I'm at my cruise height, and wondering if it will be enough...might have to do some cloud avoidance even up here today.

y4mMOITIYWkVn5RLhlzly_LRzy6iYk1ZoOGXfTHI

A little forker down there.

y4mLTB1eKaQHk5gd3_aAo5I9vb_P6j2dy8sPD7Yx

y4mU8PcscjdO8WnCjzTRZcX0yL-X8TJP4yn4FUqn

I sure don't mind zig zagging around clouds at this speed, especially when they are this pretty.

y4muXet16l7Bk6y88Wa3O00P9M2qWW85mQoM5h1m

y4mzjvAR7WN9is11y2uBzqWtJsmHwMpGOHvUe4Qp

y4majdejdX1RXyGfZ62Si153wBRDZizoqPmQ-wnz

I also Love LoVe LOVE it when the clouds layer up nicely like this:

y4mcOsQXIupVs0kHQegB2zJHd4OUrowZRyNdlXxh

y4mcqb4mG-TChUdKxTLOHSL7g_Uler_hUDTjG96J

All to soon the coastline hoves into view down below the layers, and it is time to come out of them.

y4mdfc8frZ7g6Syd92En5keZ_9y5HzCp404LaGYO

y4mm9m4EmJFqaUsLK6fs1BwjZCCBmiRHSpTsOGki

Descending over Santos, Sao Paulo 

y4mJXhOAPKv79C23B3dleDel4OGcfItjgCQj7-og

y4maES8LmwzaRIdTwcw01jlUWXO6-Myqy5g5phrk

I take some liberties with my approach assignment to come around the back side of Christ the Redeemer, the iconic mega statue overlooking this iconic Brazilian city...thank GOD this was rendered in the sim, or thank ORBx as the case may be.

y4mLRE7-hkF4IT8kJFQWDcM7uBLIiF4jK2EpvNMy

Then over the (rather poorly misplaced) Maracanã stadium/former olympic venue...currently apparently competing for space on the local freeway and adding to traffic jams no doubt.y4mxeZ_TdGwnMo9bW_efBIyNzVzYAp5atnsFawF4

The misty weather discombobulates my depth perception and I am clearly to high for the first landing attempt, go around...and take the op to have a look at another scenic just ahead.

y4m2ODAJ7nnQaIFNlFYqPt3_61gMs5gZ4UZj0yXA

Sight of a helicopter cable hook payload mission in FSX, Sugarloaf Mountain is part of a National Park and World Heritage site. A Glassed cable car runs every 20 minutes along a 1400 meter cable carrying 65 passengers per ride, or, you could hike up...I'll wait for the cable car up, and walk down, thanks. Again, a Wiki link to a better more thorough description of this sight/site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarloaf_Mountain

y4mkKvugBPwta5uWQAAJnlfmkDyoZacL5KhzVnCu

Then I work/crawl my way around the bay in the mist for another attempt at putting this leg to rest.

y4m8un4o-bvZbI0waV7TogRyMZzE5j4_lUgveiOK

Looking much better this time:

y4mH_22BbcLhcWnes17JyJmKPd5cNNuS3xD4jAmp

Some lucky ferry passengers got some extra value from their ride today, if they were looking up from their phones...

y4molPDS0nsBE0n6xs3qtruetu8nnb6j6E11XiV-

Chute deployed

y4mXDQnRWUMAaHzu3uvHJz30HXcPCnmYc84UzvGF

Taxi to parking

y4mEIcJXp9iob1ZpCP9Jfk7ODTUEpg4vPQ_L5dJ7

Woosh...the engines are flamed out, and another leg bites the dust. This looks like a terrific spot for a short layover for this pilot. I'll have a look around for Tim and if he isn't here yet, I'll be vacationing for a few days at least to get the opportunity to pass the baton along in person. If not, I'll find a THRUSH operative in the area to pass the bus station locker key along if I miss you.

y4mzSWOaHxvabXY_y_nCiHh-CZA-FmpU6dmakq6W

Thanks for flying along these legs with me, I hope the Clove Oil was a welcome change of scent. I'm sure the lack of many thousands of words was at least. :P 

Matt/Coff.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1

I'm in the bar having a preflight snack with my route briefing. Just tip the concierge ands she'll show you. I'll be the one with Stella and stella, and a big map . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

<Company Channel>

Calling Mike: Calling Mike. I need you to meet me on the apron at Sucre! I've had c CRJ trailing 7 miles off my starboard wing for the last 400 miles. FlightBeware lists as ACME-75, which is one of Putinfeld's regular callsigns, so somehow we've been made, I reckon. Gonna firewall the throttle and hope to get in before him - or run out of fuel in the process!

It's gonna be close . . .

</Company Channel>

• Like 2
On 3/12/2018 at 15:00, Tim_A said:

<Company Channel>

Calling Mike: Calling Mike. I need you to meet me on the apron at Sucre! I've had c CRJ trailing 7 miles off my starboard wing for the last 400 miles. FlightBeware lists as ACME-75, which is one of Putinfeld's regular callsigns, so somehow we've been made, I reckon. Gonna firewall the throttle and hope to get in before him - or run out of fuel in the process!

</Company Channel>

Doon Doon Doon Doooooooon...

Gotta love cliff hangers, unless you are the one hanging from the cliff.... Good luck and Godspeed Tim, wherever you are... :salute:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 18:00, Tim_A said:

<Company Channel>

</Company Channel>

Roger that!  I'm there.  I've got something up my sleeve that they will never suspect!  Just as soon as I dig out from all this snow I've been hiding in.

Matt, those screen shots are fantastic -- love the thunderjet!

• Thanks 1

Brilliant PIREP and some stunning pics. Nice to see ORBX has made a good job of Rio even if there are a few misplaced items. I was looking hard to see if I could spot Roger Moore sliding down the cable at the sugar loaf mountain but alas that wasn't modelled.. :P

• Like 1