Leg 31 -2:Tienente Fap Alejan (SPZO) to Pisco International (SPSO)

Well, the THRUSH agents told me they had to take their jet back, but they were kind enough to lend me this Diamond for my final (near fatal) flight(s).

y4mUsdW-r25Ld1pZdOxZhmTBIDyEkc9iOIJaWQM_

First flight in the DA-62.  Not an ideal training ground, but hey, I'm not complaining.

y4mkwAHAv9YWnnxtUOCyXXHvDya9ByuXLDV7ImYZ

Picking up the Pi out of the ZCO VOR to look for Machu Pitcchu.  That's the 314 radial out of the ZCO VOR.

y4mF7dIRJkKVb0asVmoESnYVg6iotKrWUH8VYUCO

There it is just ahead of the right wing.

y4mbtVMknhXwaesytOw0Op1NS__xRG6tVP1c0ozI

I'm liking this airplane and the view is fantastic!

y4mbP3N8Y79co_ydt305_a6veqXVo3nYm4B3eIUA

Plenty of information on the instrument panel without feeling cluttered.  And this is where I notice that I've got a Fuel problem.  I had a choice between diverting to Andahuayla (SPHY), about 35 nm to the south or continuing my present course for Ayacucho (SPHO) 45 nm out.  The terrain around Andahuaylas looked even less forgiving than that which lay ahead so I decided to take the chance on Ayacucho.  I pulled the throttle back a touch and eased into a shallow dive (not what is depicted in the screenshot).  I later looked up Andahuayla and found that the airfield was at 11,300 feet.  I think I made the right decision.

y4mM3T-n0hEhLl-pUiPWGxW5f05FFWzvZCkct2zm

Here we are!  Nothing to it!

y4mOJoY4TDUi3nm1pmIoz364A9DTvapLLdTRcWSf

It's a little hilly here, but the Inca Kola was very tasty!

y4mVP0YAGwVR9ZJb1ZGgB8IGc3rJBkEcQ-Y_x8Pw

Ground gave me clearance for back taxi for a takeoff on runway 20.  Favorable winds and the terrain seemed to offer more...air that way. 

y4mC8D5oHlEsvr50Pt7ocCyHeL372Ug-i6ED_Vzb

Clearance from the tower made me a little less concerned about someone else back taxiing as I could not see over the hill.

y4mnnq8D8jU0ToFZYrBD3hewa95nJOW2mhb6QEp9

O.K. and we are on our way to Pisco once again!

y4mD3Cl3A4qzI1swEJdaxoXayOJVdY5viCj48qxW

Achum!  Or not!  I overheated the left engine on climb out. 

y4mkXQFi6uOzaFg7ZW-vRAHHLK6VPuK9JqEMErI_

Jeez, the THRUSH guys are going to be pissed! 

y4mRT8ZvSWrEwN03lrtzjrhuCJhOaFpWtQAoLGyK

Not problem getting her safely back on the ground though.  I landed and told them they had bad gas and that they were going to fix my engine immediately!

I threw the THRUSH name around a bit, then mentioned Dr. Mutley would pay for everything and boy did those guys start hopping.

Problem solved!  Next!

y4msve8tfv0aveRN6cZl8dwjr6ED-1Ju3UOAUUo3

Without further mishap, I made my way to Pisco (and sea level).  The baton is safe and the Putinskies are still chasing mules in the mountains.

It got dark and my infrared camera was left behind in the Mule back at Oruro (SLOR), so the rest of my shots are too dark to make anything out.

Except for this last one: 

y4mUaiJO-nteatZ78Zp066t0PRHXQ49KBiMK7Akz

I had taken my FLIGHT BAG further up the ramp, where Kieran was hiding out in a darkened hanger.  I handed over the Baton and realized I had forgotten my best clipboard back in the plane.  So, as I rounded the corner of the last hanger I could hear some muffled voices.  I snapped this shot, of what I think are guys in gas masks, as I turned and ran for the beach -- hoping to lead them away from Kieran and the Baton.  As I ran down a small street I could hear someone yelling from behind asking where his "stuff" was.  I hid in a chicken coup until daybreak.  I heard several aircraft depart during the night and one just as day was breaking -- I hope that was Kieran carrying that Baton out of here.

Escape and Evade!

Goblin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

See what happens when you don't make your deliveries.:D 

You certainly have been busy, all great shots and enjoyable PIREP's Mike, nicely done.:D

Who's aircraft is that, I thought the twin Diamond had analog gauges above the TV screens. I must be thinking about the wrong model but either way it's a beauty.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Goblin said:

I landed and told them they had bad gas and that they were going to fix my engine immediately!

I threw the THRUSH name around a bit, then mentioned Dr. Mutley would pay for everything and boy did those guys start hopping.

"Bad Gas"... :rofl: .

The Highly Respected Mutley Fuel Card arriving in the hands of disreputable ATWC pilots is always a welcome sight and great motivator!.

Great wrap up, and good recovery on the THRUSH asset repairs, i'm sure maintenance staff and officers will appreciate how you handled the 'warranty work'.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, brett said:

See what happens when you don't make your deliveries.:D 

You certainly have been busy, all great shots and enjoyable PIREP's Mike, nicely done.:D

Who's aircraft is that, I thought the twin Diamond had analog gauges above the TV screens. I must be thinking about the wrong model but either way it's a beauty.

It's the Aerobask twin Diamond.  They just released a couple of days ago.  I think it's a little too automated for my taste and I wish it did have analog gauges.  The ground handling seems to be a little off too; considering X-Plane's ground handling, they've done pretty good, but they can do better.  I bought it because I absolutely love their Pipistrel Panthera.  In fact, I may end up flying the Panthera again in this year's MEBAR.

Maybe the panel is a bit of artistic license by the developer or an extra option available on the actual aircraft, I only brought it up because all the images I seen show the extra analog Attitude Indicator, Air Speed Indicator, Altitude Indicator on top. Either way it's a nice looking model.

I like the all analog gauge panels myself but you can't beat the situational awareness that the newer glass panels give you.

I watched a couple of videos of a fellow flying two versions of a C182 one with a standard panel and then one with the full glass one and he seemed to have trouble with all the little tiny buttons the glass one has while flying and it had his face down into the panel longer than pilots should while in VFR. I'm sure his working mans frankfurter fingers didn't help him either, LOL.

I must admit the Panthera is one sleek looking little flier, have fun in the MEBAR with it. 

I'd be that guy with his face in the panel with glass screens, which to me involve way too much Digit Reading...I like the Quick Glance/Scan you can do with dials and good range marks. I used to love the job of applying range marks on the USAF planes I worked on...C-141's and C-130s...the later being more interesting and numerous. Even got a few compliments from pilots while I was working on them over the years.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

...I like the Quick Glance/Scan you can do with dials and good range marks.

I never thought about it that way, but that makes perfect sense!  Same with Brett's comment on the glass panels.  These are things that I liked about the two implementations, but I never really thought about what it was I liked about them; if you know what I mean.

14 hours ago, brett said:

Maybe the panel is a bit of artistic license by the developer or an extra option available on the actual aircraft, I only brought it up because all the images I seen show the extra analog Attitude Indicator, Air Speed Indicator, Altitude Indicator on top. Either way it's a nice looking model.

I like the all analog gauge panels myself but you can't beat the situational awareness that the newer glass panels give you.

<snip>

I must admit the Panthera is one sleek looking little flier, have fun in the MEBAR with it. 

Actually, you're referring to the DA-42 Twin, which does have the analog gauges over the screens.  I should have been more specific.  Aerobask modeled the DA-62.  On the other hand, I didn't even know either of these aircraft existed until they were modeled for a simulator.  Come to think of it, this is true for the vast majority of GA and commercial aircraft! 

Oh, and I finally decided on the Milviz 310R for the MEBAR.  :stars:   I would like to get the NAVSTAX radio stack licensed, but it's not released yet.

• Thanks 1