Guess I flew the wrong route

I'm not sure I flew the correct route for flight 1. I thought it was from ENGM to ENSN, but the schedule shows 181  miles.  When I planned my route,  even with adding TOR vor, my route was still only  88 miles, so my score ended up only 52.  Is there a particular route I was supposed to fly, or am I supposed to make a plan between the two that equals 181 miles?

17 minutes ago, N85988 said:

I'm not sure I flew the correct route for flight 1. I thought it was from ENGM to ENSN, but the schedule shows 181  miles.  When I planned my route,  even with adding TOR vor, my route was still only  88 miles, so my score ended up only 52.  Is there a particular route I was supposed to fly, or am I supposed to make a plan between the two that equals 181 miles?

Never mind.  I see there is a document that has specific route instructions for each leg.  I somehow missed this. I thought we were using our own navigation planning.

5 minutes ago, N85988 said:

Never mind.  I see there is a document that has specific route instructions for each leg.  I somehow missed this. I thought we were using our own navigation planning.

Hi there, Monica, as you can see we send you off on a sightseeing tour via the waypoints, better luck for your next flight.

Joe

Yeah, despite this is not my first MEBAR, I didn't remember that. I was even about to start my flight when I stumbled upon the instructions. But I was ready to just fly it even knowing my time would be way off. I would have flown it that way anyway. These kind of problems are expected as I see it. It's a rally. I don't expect nail the time, just to fly with some purpose, and so far succeeding in having fun in the way :)

• Like 1

After posting my first pirep and finding out that I had missed the pdf that explains the routes we are supposed to fly, I flew the first leg over again so I can say to myself that I flew the actual route, which, by the way, was alot more fun and challenging. It is even more challenging because my flight planner does not have several of the navaids in the database, so I have had to research them to find out where they are and plan my route with user waypoints instead. I use FSCommander, and it has been a challenge planning the routes with the database it created when I installed it. Fortunately, the navaids have been in the sim, so I have been able to navigate with no problem once I got loaded up. I been flying these legs keeping in mind that this is a rally, not a race. Still, I feel bad that I missed some details when I first joined this rally, so I did not get off to the best start, something I will keep in mind for the next event. Thank you for your encouragement though. Your words did make me feel better.

• Like 2

Hey Monica, Glad you got the correct info into your flight planning. MEBAR is intended as a fun event with absolutely no stress involved or intended. I too flew the first leg using indicated airspeed and not ground speed as we were supposed to. It really does pay to read everything the MEBAR team give us. LOL

Yep, Me and my companion Alf the Jack Russell got it wrong as well, and this was our 4th Mebar flying together.

He kept barking like hell at me all during the first couple of flights, obviously trying to tell me that I should have been concentrating on my Ground Speed rather than my Indicated Air Speed.

My excuse is that I was just an eager beaver to get started this year. :thum:

Memo to myself  --  --  really must pay more attention with my reading. :whis::whis:

Edited by NobbyNoMates
Spelling mistake
  • Haha 1

Ha ha!  Me too.  I flew the first three legs at indicated.  In a fluke, my first flight came in very close to the expected time only because I over flew one of the waypoints by 26 miles.  At which point, I fire-walled the throttle for the remainder of the flight.

I flew leg 4 last night referencing ground speed, but I think my execution was bit off, so we'll see.  Doesn't matter though -- it's really about planning, executing, and arriving at the destination.

• Like 1