When FSX was published (2006) and for quite a number of years after, MS had a contract with someone (Jeppesen?) to provide RW WX.  It worked by having your running instance of FSX log into the other party's WX servers and download an update periodically - every 15 minutes, I think - which was then displayed in your FSX if you had RW WX selected. 

Around the time period when MS dropped MS F-light and licensed FSX software to L-M and DTG, they stopped paying the freight  for the RW WX from the vendor (also about the same time MS dropped the GameSpy contract, killing the in-game multi-player menu choices, but that's another story). 

In place of RW WX, Jeppesen, or whoever the vendor was, now provides "historic WX".  Don't know the details of how that's done or if MS still pays them something but in any case, it involves fewer on-demand WX fetches from users and a smaller bandwidth hit for them.  If MS is still paying part of the cost, it's probably less than when we could all get RW WX on demand from within FSX.

Thank God for the add-on vendors.

John

EDIT:  All the above is re native MS-FSX.  Don't know how P3D (L-M) and FSX-SE (DTG and Steam) handle this.   It may be that they, instead of MS, are paying the reduced freight rate for the RW WX that isn't, or maybe they have their own contract.  It's hard to beat the REX and Active Sky payware stuff in any case.  If WX is important to you and you are not using one or both of those, you should really consider it.

JDA

I second your last comment John. 

I am running Rex Forth and ASN for my weather and it really is as close as you are going to get to real world conditions.

• Like 1
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:17, allardjd said:

When FSX was published (2006) and for quite a number of years after, MS had a contract with someone (Jeppesen?) to provide RW WX.  It worked by having your running instance of FSX log into the other party's WX servers and download an update periodically - every 15 minutes, I think - which was then displayed in your FSX if you had RW WX selected. 

Around the time period when MS dropped MS F-light and licensed FSX software to L-M and DTG, they stopped paying the freight  for the RW WX from the vendor (also about the same time MS dropped the GameSpy contract, killing the in-game multi-player menu choices, but that's another story). 

In place of RW WX, Jeppesen, or whoever the vendor was, now provides "historic WX".  Don't know the details of how that's done or if MS still pays them something but in any case, it involves fewer on-demand WX fetches from users and a smaller bandwidth hit for them.  If MS is still paying part of the cost, it's probably less than when we could all get RW WX on demand from within FSX.

Thank God for the add-on vendors.

John

EDIT:  All the above is re native MS-FSX.  Don't know how P3D (L-M) and FSX-SE (DTG and Steam) handle this.   It may be that they, instead of MS, are paying the reduced freight rate for the RW WX that isn't, or maybe they have their own contract.  It's hard to beat the REX and Active Sky payware stuff in any case.  If WX is important to you and you are not using one or both of those, you should really consider it.

JDA

Thanks John.  That makes sense, as I seem to recall when I got FSX about 9 years ago, the real time weather was not too far off.  I start to wonder when London has snow in June, though!

Thanks for your help guys.  :good:

I too have noticed snow in the middle of summer over Southern England in the last few weeks when we're in the middle of a heatwave! It's bloody stupid. but also very annoying as I prefer to use RWW on all my flights unless specified to be different.

Ok.....I decided to invest in REX Sky Force 3D and have just installed it today.  By what I have seen so far, I am impressed.  It certainly does a 'mean' thunderstorm, that's for sure.

I guess that I should say thanks to Jessica and her review in PC Pilot, which persuaded me to make this choice!! ^_^

Martin

• Like 1

WOW!  This REX Sky Force 3D is GREAT!  Okay, I am still learning as there is a lot to take in, but the clouds are so realistic and the thunderstorms are much better than the native FSX ones.  What I really like too is that I am getting better FPS than the standard FSX weather, even when getting full cloud cover!  It like the difference between an old TV set and a 1040 HDI TV!!  One of my best add ons...........!  :clapping:

Martin

• Like 1