Invisible Aircraft and strange textures

HI All

After replacing my CMOS battery a few months back, i started having a lot of CTDs and 'Smartassembly' errors even though i had the fix for it installed..

I made the decision to wipe my rig back to Win7 and start again from scratch..

I have installed:

• FSX Acceleration
  • ORBX (all my add ins such as Global, Airports, England, Norway etc, plus Bob)
  • FSUIPC paid version and also SPAD to run my controls
  • Kaspersky
  • Accufeel
  • A2A C172 trainer and a livery for my RW trainer G-OVFR

... so, basically not a lot!

I am now getting all sorts of issues with flashing, some rather psychadelic colours, but i have now discovered the 'invisible plane'!

Head-butting%20blokes_zpstyxu5pta.png

I was fine until i went outside the plane in Instant Replay, and then i got these strange blokes in the back trying to head-but the runway.

I have checked that i don't have DX10 ticked in FSX, i have also run TechPowerUp GPU-z and my GPU doesn't look like it is struggling..

It may be a NVidia 660ti but its had a LOT more thrown at it in recent years and has never had an issue.. My sliders are high, but they always have been..

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Is there anything else i can check hardware wise?  Will the HiMem Fix help?

I still haven't seen the Smartassembly error yet since the wipe, so that is still to come!

:help:

Steph

Yes HiMem fix would be the first thing to check. Some other things i'll just throw out there;  Maybe check your simconnect. And since you went back to Win7 check and see if you have the correct version of the Win7 UIAutomationCore version  6.0.5840.16386 for crashes and OOM errors.

If you had only FSX installed and put in SP1 and 2 they need to be deleted before installing Acceleration.

Try checking DX10 and if DX10 solves the problem then the issue is with drivers, shaders or FSX.cfg settings.

I remember seeing this mentioned over at A2A but don't remember the fix, sorry. If you don't get an answer here try posting over there. I did a search over there but I guess I used the wrong keyword because I came up empty. I'll keep looking.

The people in the back is where A2A hides their other pilot and passenger choices.

2 hours ago, Tristarcaptain said:

On a more serious note, what is HiMem fix?  I have not heard of that one!

Martin

Hi Martin,

This is too long to explain, so have a read of this:-

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4737/

This should answer your question better than I could explain. :D

Cheers

On 16/09/2018 at 16:39, dodgy-alan said:

I think it's something to do with that bloke tucked behind the rear seats! I bet he's pulled a few wires out!:D

Al, i have to admit that when i first saw it, i had a chuckle.. it reminded me of one of your posts from 2013. I shall never forget your "Yogic Flying" response to Mike H's picture.. had me laughing for weeks afterwards

Alas, this time, foor my passengers, its Yogic crashing.. :rofl:

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, needles said:

Hi Martin,

Cheers

Thanks Brian

Very handy link and saves me hunting around for it..

Thanks too to Joe and Brett.. i will try all, however, i have also just discovered something very strange indeed..  My .cfg files are in 'my documents' and not in the 'AppData' in my roaming profile. How odd is that!?!

I've never, in all my installs, ever had the issue with the .cfg going somewhere other than AppData. It puts me in mind to uninstall FSX once again and reinstall then check the .cfg is in the right place.

Not sure its the final word, but fingers crossed... i've just put in for ATWC so i need to get my toosh in gear!

Thanks all :thanks:

• Thanks 1

Ok, separate FSX SSD drive wiped and FSX discs 1 & 2 completed.. (no acceleration disk installed yet), and the .cfg files are STILL going into My Documents! 

Anyone know if this is a problem or not? I can make FSX save it to AppData manually but if it's screwed up something as basic as where the .veg is saved,  what else has it done that I don't know about..

Any recommendations  guys n gals?

I'm baffled.. 

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:19, needles said:

Hi Martin,

Cheers

Wow, Brian

I have done that now and it looks promising.  Things seem a bit smoother now and the 'FSX experience' is looking better!!  :rolleyes:

Thanks!!!

Martin

10 hours ago, hlminx said:

Ok, separate FSX SSD drive wiped and FSX discs 1 & 2 completed.. (no acceleration disk installed yet), and the .cfg files are STILL going into My Documents! 

Anyone know if this is a problem or not? I can make FSX save it to AppData manually but if it's screwed up something as basic as where the .veg is saved,  what else has it done that I don't know about..

Any recommendations  guys n gals?

I'm baffled.. 

I am just going to do a fresh install of FSX:SE and see where it installs the config files, I am using Windows 10.

Steph, check your system information looks correct, type C:\Windows\System32\msinfo32.exe in the search / run command and go to Software Environment -> Environment variables and check where your App Data is set to store. 

After my install of FSX the main config files are in the following locations.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
fsx.cgf
dll.xml
exe.xml

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
Scenery.cfg

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
Flight plans
Saved scenarios etc.

Hey Joe

I get none of those.. this is the extent of what i have... doesn't look good does it.

I'm a classic Win7, original FSX Acc user.. i have to wonder if, when i was f'ing about with the CMOS, that i have dislodged somethng, but  have noticed that my previous E drive was the SSD for FSX, and now one of the other drives has taken over as E and the FSX is now 'demoted'..

FSX is now such a touchy, teetering on the bridge, "nah, not today" program that it has so many foibles it's a crusade just to get it working without the multiple SSDs and HDs i have.. I did look at P3D, but cost of the program, cost of replacing the Graphics card and having to potentially re-buy a load of software is beyond the possible..so that's out.

If, given the absence of expected program links, the prognosis is to wipe even further back, now is the time to do it. What do you reckon Joe?

Edited by hlminx
wrong link

How it could come to this Steph? But sometimes it happens. A complete wipe and re-isnstall is always the last resort, but may be easier, quicker and less frustrating.

I would seriously consider an upgrade to P3D if this turns out to be your problem, Orbx will update OK and if A2A is a problem then a quiet word in Lewis' ear may pay dividends?

On 18/09/2018 at 19:17, mutley said:

How it could come to this Steph? But sometimes it happens. A complete wipe and re-isnstall is always the last resort, but may be easier, quicker and less frustrating.

I think this might be the way to go..

My system was running reasonably well right up until the CMOS issue, so maybe a full wipe, a check on the gubbins inside the box to make sure everything is seated properly, and then add the software after i have checked the basics (last time i took it as gospel that things were ok and downloaded all the ORBX stuff again without checking it).

P3D is a way off i'm afraid. My graphics card would need a serious update, and even the Processor might need over clocking, which i have never really had the balls to try so far.. plus the cost is a tad restrictive at the moment.

I still have my Steam version sat in the wings if i ever wanted to go that route, but i'm too far removed from Steam now to know if its worth the bother.

Will try the wipe first and disconnect the HDs i've added over time so that things go back to basics.

Thanks again

ps. given my recent bid for an ATWC flight, i might have to either do it before i wipe, or pick a later leg.  Thoughts??