Captain Sim bids farewell to FSX

Hmmm... have to think about this a little.  Given the probable size of the user base still on FSX-SE and, potentially, also still on the older P3D 32-bit versions, I'm inclined to question this from a "support for the community" point of view.  

On the other hand, they're a commercial company with a moral and legal obligation to remain viable and turn a profit for their owners/shareholders.  P3D V4 and, possibly X-Plane, is almost certainly where the money is, going forward.  Many/most who are still using FSX/FSX-SE and earlier versions of P3D are doing so because they can't or don't want to upgrade their hardware.  If that's the case, neither are those users likely to be spending a lot of money on new software for their systems.  If any of that is valid, so is Captain Sim's decision.

I guess the bottom line is that CS are perfectly within their legal rights to do this, just as users are within their rights to "vote with their wallets" by supporting or not supporting companies whose policies they don't like.

John

That's a shame really. IMO Capt Sim made some of the best aircraft and some of their older product like the 727 beats the pants off of many later offerings from other devs. 

Ok, not for study level types but the visuals and feel of them was just right for me.

Thank you and RIP Captain Sim. :cray:

Understandable, I guess.  Still use FSX myself fairly often and indeed FS9 on rare occasions.  Though my sim of choice nowadays is Aerofly, with full VR kit from Oculus.  Yes it has its limitations but I have plenty of patience and look forward to its future.  Never liked X-Plane, had v9  & 10 but always struggled to make it do what I wanted; rather than what it wanted.  Have had P3D v1 through v3 and indeed liked it.  However,  got fed up with the upgrade and having to pay again every .4  or .5 release. So called it a day on that one.  Ah well, just my 2 cents worth on a Saturday morning.  Life's a bitch after all.  :salute:

There comes a point when sales for a particular version drop to a level that means it isn't economically viable to keep developing for it. That happened to me when downloads of the XP version of Plan-G dropped below 1% of Win7/10 downloads. For me it's less about money, but when you're depending on sales ROI for income, sometimes you have to make the hard decisions, and it looks like that's happened with CS.

Hopefully their 64-bit products will go from strength to strength. 

64 bit FS is clearly the way forward and so I don't blame them for making this statement. I suspect it will be the first of many similar companies.

Developers are a finite resource and creating new products for obsolete software will always be a poor choice. I don't know at what level of sales an FSX product breaks even, but whatever it is it is bound to be a shrinking market and their profit forecasts wont look great.  

On 12/10/2018 at 23:04, hifly said:

That's a shame really. IMO Capt Sim made some of the best aircraft and some of their older product like the 727 beats the pants off of many later offerings from other devs. 

Ok, not for study level types but the visuals and feel of them was just right for me.

Thank you and RIP Captain Sim. :cray:

Well I must have had a senior moment then. So it's just CS saying goodbye to FSX. I wish them success wherever they go.

• 2 years later...

Looks like Captain Sim is alive and well, and producing for MSFS2020, albeit with a few teething problems and discontent within the FS Community following their 777 releases. 

I for one am hoping that they go for some of the older classics like the 707, 727 etc. rather than what they are currently offering.. :whis:

2 hours ago, mutley said:

Personally, I would love the C130 they did, Just Flight released it too with a few extras :) 

Good shout!  I had the C130 on FS2004 and FSX... Definitely one for the list :thumbup:

17 hours ago, needles said:

Nice to hear from you again Steph.

Thanks mate.. been so busy with work, i barely know what day of the week it is sometimes; been juggling quite a few plates, but happy to be back :)

I'm really loving the new MSFS, even though I still have my FSX Steam and P3D, i just never seem to use the old platforms now and got shot of most of my old add ons and a lot of my old Saitek gear.

I'm looking forward to some new aircraft being launched for MSFS, but at the moment, the offerings are thin on the ground, and don't seem to be getting vary favourable reviews. :blink2: