I’m beginning to have some thoughts about switching away from my Track I/R and moving into Virtual Teality with either SE:FSX or X-Plane. I've yet to complete the former's Missions but II realise that X-Plane has the better graphics, the choice of which leaves me undecided. 

i have a few pennies to spare and, having seen a sooner-dooper rig recently it looked very interesting. I realise that I'll have to upgrade my own rig somewhat but hey! one comes this way but once.

i'd be delighted to have your thoughts, gentlemen. 

Thank you.

That is sensible advice from Brett, James.

By all means upgrade your PC, paying particular attention to the power of the CPU. 

Buying the best CPU you can afford alongside the best GPU you can afford will undoubtably give you a better performance in whatever flight sim' you use.

Steer clear of VR until they have ironed out the pitfalls.

IMHO

1 hour ago, needles said:

That is sensible advice from Brett, James.

5 hours ago, brett said:

Stay with TrackIR and save yourself the money until VR gets better and they work out the kinks. JMO

Suppose I should agree with that.  However, I did indulge, Aerofly FS2 & the Rift are made for each other.  OK so I do serious Bush Flying in FSX, too much invested in it to let it go.  For pure fun though it doesn't get any better than VR; which runs fine on my 5, soon to be 6 year old 4770K & 980Ti.

Hmm. I suppose one is bound to get some conflicting, well meant advice.

I was 'aroused' when watching a video by Frooglesim dated 31 May 2016 in which he displayed a great deal of enthusiasm for 'Fly Inside' using either Oculus or HTC with FSX and P3D. i thouigyht that it looked promising and I assume that it has been improved over the passing of time.

As always, I thank you, chaps for taking the trime to considere your advice and inputting it. 

IF I do splash out I'll post further thoughts.

for me I love Trackir with all my PC stuff, really does make a difference whether I am flying, driving or COD, however as I tend to need keyboard at some stage I can't see me going VR, I did however consider it for my PS4 as you only need to 'feel' the controller but wasn't to impressed with the extra kit needed so shall not bother....

• 4 months later...
On 21/11/2018 at 13:17, Onward79 said:

As always, many thanks to you all for your advice.

PC Pilot March/April 2019 #120.

"The lead topic of discussion for this issue is Virtual Reality (VR) – the first of a major two-part feature – written by Chris Frishmuth and starting on page 48."