Rapid deteriation on FPS

I am a bit puzzled and frustrated here....

I start the flight with reasonable frame rates, then it rapidly goes down to single digits within about two minutes.  I did have it working pretty good but am not sure what is causing this!  I did the HIGHME fix a while back and that worked great for a while, now it is worse than before the fix.  I have reloaded the configuration, to no avail.  I am using a light setting on graphics...no extra demands on scenery, etc.

One thing I did note is that about a week ago , my anti-virus (System Mechanic) played up and I uninstalled it and used the inbuilt computer (basic) system  and flight sim seemed to work better with that.  I have had good results with the System Mechanic in the past and am not sure what is happening here.  Any ideas?

By the way, do any of you have a preferred anti-virus system that is simulator friendly, but does a good job for security?

I am using FSX Gold.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Tristarcaptain

I use free Avast ... I had the paid version but I am pretty internet careful, so reverted to the freeware version. The paid version has some features including system optimizing and clean up tools that may be of use?

I also use FSX Gold/Acceleration/whatever plus Steve's fixer (I should look to see if there are updates to that...). 

I have an older machine, my frame rates are almost never over 20 fps in daylight...im more concerned about my System VAS/Available memory which degrades fast when approaching heavy scenery areas. 

regarding ides...try opening your task manager and check if there are any processes you can shut down. I always kill my Razer Keyboard, and Dropbox before starting my Sim (Now dropbox is set to not open on startup..doh..) ...see if you have any background programs hogging system resources like that.

yeah good advise to always check whats running in the background, I have an app to do with my motherboard that is really resource hungry, everytime I fire up the PC that gets closed down......

You might also want to uncheck scenery you are no using during your flight and lower settings that might tax your system.

Also check for sceneries and weather textures that are set too high.

Edited by brett