Question regarding USB ports

When I was in Walmart the other day, I happened across an HP Pavilion desktop gaming pc.  While I cannot afford one as yet and bearing in mind my current PC is rather troublesome, I found it interesting.  However, most of my hardware such as printer, gaming HOTAS, etc: are USB 1 connectors.  Newer pcs are USB 2 or 3.  Can you get adaptors to plug a USB 1 device into a later version of USB port as on a new pc?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure all USB connected devices will plug into newer USB ports.  My mid-2000s era CH yoke and pedals work fine plugged into USB 3.0 ports on my PC and on a powered USB 3.0 hub.  No problems with either connections or performance.  

Understand that older USB devices will not benefit from the higher speed capabilities of the newer ports, but they should work as well as they ever did.  Devices like that don't need the higher speeds anyway.  The amount of data being sent by FS devices is miniscule compared to what the ports are designed for.

John

• Like 1

Agree with all John said Martin.

Just make sure that you turn off the USB Hub/Ports ability to "Switch Off" to save power.  It's happened to me and I am sure many others in the past...and yes, it always happens at an inappropriate time.  See path below to configure :-

Open Device Manager.  Scroll down to USB Controllers. Rt Clk each of the listed items in turn, select properties and look for a Power Management Tab. Not all items have this.  Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in all found instances. 

It doesn't happen that often but when it does you end up pulling your hair out.  I used to have hair in those days ;)

Interesting. 

I have had bad experiences in running older stuff on usb 3. Much of my Saitek stuff just doesn't work when using a usb 3 port.

I solved the problem by buying a usb 1 card and installing it in my PC. Getting hold of one wasn't easy. They are quite rare nowadays, and fairly expensive, several times the cost of a new usb3 card.

Hi, Martin

Here is a suggestion that could enable you to purchase a new custom computer that could be both more affordable and better than an HP and that could provide the option for you to buy new USB peripherals with the savings: Take a look at the ComputerLX web site. I've had them build two custom computers for me. They are an excellent company located in Ohio. They ship within the United States and provide free FedEx ground shipping.

Both of my systems are Intel/Nvidia systems (highly recommended), and I couldn't be happier with them.

Dan

Edited by Soaranden
3 hours ago, J G said:

Much of my Saitek stuff just doesn't work when using a usb 3 port.

The only Saitek hardware I have is their Cessna Trim Wheel (now unavailable - no longer made) and it works fine plugged into USB 3.0 ports.  Everything else I use in the way of hardware is CH, plus the TrackIR - those work fine.

John

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:39, allardjd said:

I'm pretty sure all USB connected devices will plug into newer USB ports.  My mid-2000s era CH yoke and pedals work fine plugged into USB 3.0 ports on my PC and on a powered USB 3.0 hub.  No problems with either connections or performance.  

Understand that older USB devices will not benefit from the higher speed capabilities of the newer ports, but they should work as well as they ever did.  Devices like that don't need the higher speeds anyway.  The amount of data being sent by FS devices is miniscule compared to what the ports are designed for.

John

Thanks for your input, John.:D

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 01:40, dogtrack said:

Agree with all John said Martin.

Just make sure that you turn off the USB Hub/Ports ability to "Switch Off" to save power.  It's happened to me and I am sure many others in the past...and yes, it always happens at an inappropriate time.  See path below to configure :-

Open Device Manager.  Scroll down to USB Controllers. Rt Clk each of the listed items in turn, select properties and look for a Power Management Tab. Not all items have this.  Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in all found instances. 

It doesn't happen that often but when it does you end up pulling your hair out.  I used to have hair in those days ;)

Thanks for that!!  :icon_goodpost:

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:35, J G said:

Interesting. 

I have had bad experiences in running older stuff on usb 3. Much of my Saitek stuff just doesn't work when using a usb 3 port.

I solved the problem by buying a usb 1 card and installing it in my PC. Getting hold of one wasn't easy. They are quite rare nowadays, and fairly expensive, several times the cost of a new usb3 card.

Thanks John.  If I do buy a new PC in due course, I guess that I could use the USB cards from my old PC to bring the new PC inline with hardware that I already have?

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:06, Soaranden said:

Hi, Martin

Here is a suggestion that could enable you to purchase a new custom computer that could be both more affordable and better than an HP and that could provide the option for you to buy new USB peripherals with the savings: Take a look at the ComputerLX web site. I've had them build two custom computers for me. They are an excellent company located in Ohio. They ship within the United States and provide free FedEx ground shipping.

Both of my systems are Intel/Nvidia systems (highly recommended), and I couldn't be happier with them.

Dan

That's an interesting idea.  Thanks Dan.  :thanks:

yeah I read somewhere that Saitek prefers to use older USB sockets, but mine all goes into a 2.0 powered hub, but like mentioned above it is very important to turn of the power saving, I think it will also change back possibly on updates but I may be wrong, I have an old Cessna wheel that is spare gathering dust, no where to put it....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 16:34, Tristarcaptain said:

Thanks John.  If I do buy a new PC in due course, I guess that I could use the USB cards from my old PC to bring the new PC inline with hardware that I already have?

Yes as long as you have the correct socket and have or can get drivers for the operating system of your new PC. My USB card came with Win 10 drivers so I had no problems.