Joining the bandwagon - trying TE South (in VFR and IFR)

Originating from the outskirts of London, and with a reasonably close local airfield (Rochester/EGTO) as my testing ground - I decided to purchase and explore the wonderful scenery package available at Orbx for XP11 (of which I'm now using as my primary sim) and couldn't be happier with the addon. Easily the BEST scenery package I've ever bought. I'm just refraining from purchasing Central and eventually North this close to Christmas! :help:

Anyway, as I mentioned in the title, I used various aircraft at different times of day to get the full experience. First set: Cessna 172 G1000, Rochester - Docklands - Rochester, Second set: B757-300 LGW-IMVUR1Z - SAM (cloudy over SAM so didn't see it), Third Set: Baron 58, Rochester - Leicester Square - RAF Northolt. All shots straight from the sim with no resizing or editing. 

fhPeC2e.jpg

CWdcVd8.jpg

NmDAdzo.jpg

9Dn9qp6.jpg

IUDuDb2.jpg

4ogqCC5.jpg

eBcwewp.jpg

IWgki7w.jpg

Or98tRK.jpg

9brgW7X.jpg

FMMRjvy.png

jP8jbLo.png

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

A super set Chris, this new Orbx scenery is a massive sim changer and brings it nearer and nearer real life.  

Enjoy exploring the South for awhile before embarking up to Central.  

If you throw enough hint's about, maybe Santa will bring you Central...  Ho Ho Ho.  :whis:

Great shots mate - I have to agree, with Orbx releasing such great scenery for XP as well as HiFi releasing their Active Sky weather package - I am edging further away from P3D every day. 

The only thing that is keeping me with P3D is the A2A aircraft - if only A2A would release a GA aircraft for XP :)

Thanks for sharing, 

Jim

Hey Remington,

It's a little box in the car, we call it a satnav. Lol

Apart from some shortish (compared with the USA and Canada) straight roads that the Romans built, no. Is the real answer. :rofl:

• Haha 1

Hi Remington

To add to Brian's comment: England isn't flat for the most part and some of our roads date back a thousand years in some form or other. Old roads either went around hills for convince or along ridges for defensive purposes, the idea being that on a ridge you can see the bad guys coming from far away and it is better to fight an enemy with a height advantage.

Where I live in a place called Guildford in south east England is a point in case for both the above. Guildford originally meant Golden Ford, A place to ford the river Wey where there was a golden sandy river bed, It lies in a break in a ridge call the North Downs where the river cuts through the ridge. Originally there was an east-west road which ran along the top of North Downs ridge, dipping down to cross the river and then up again along the Downs ridge. North-south a road winds around low hills to Guildford to take advantage of the gap in the hills and river crossing before winding away to the north and to London.

Guildford was of strategic importance as it controlled east-west traffic, north-south traffic and a river crossing. That is why the town has a Norman castle, built in 1086, over 900 years ago.

Guildford-Castle.jpgGuildford-Castle

On 19/12/2018 at 17:22, remingtonbox said:

How the hell do you UK people get around and tell directions?  Is there a straight road in the entire country?

I was always taught 'big to small' e.g. There should be a wide river on my left according to my map, a railway line running north to south, and a small village just off the nose... Yup, I can confirm my position as x on the map! (This worked well in New Zealand, but I've mostly only flown IFR in the UK so I use my old friend LNAV to get me where I need to be!)

On 13/12/2018 at 08:09, UKJim said:

Great shots mate - I have to agree, with Orbx releasing such great scenery for XP as well as HiFi releasing their Active Sky weather package - I am edging further away from P3D every day. 

The only thing that is keeping me with P3D is the A2A aircraft - if only A2A would release a GA aircraft for XP :)

Thanks for sharing, 

Jim

I read recently that A2A are thinking about developing their aircraft for XP which would be great if they did, Simcofers as you know do a good job of adding more realism too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...