Hello again Flight Sim! Yoke broke, slick fix, back in the pit.

I had a misshap with my yoke a couple month ago. My CH yoke broke internally, cracked at the clamp support tops where one of the desk clamp nuts are 'secured' within a molded plastic recess on top of a rather long plastic tube that accommodates the clamp screw shaft. Gosh how I hate plastic...but that's another story.

My DIY sailor fix was to buy a drill press vice grip device and adapt it to be the new desk clamp. It required dremeling away the old plastic clamp support due to the much shorter new bolt, and adding a fat washer for extra support. It works WONDERFULLY, and is far easier to remove, and feels more secure than the other side/original desk clamp. I am tempted to buy another new clamp unit and replace the other side even though it isn't broken.

This is how the original clamp is secured within the yoke, the nut is recessed into a plastic tube...the long clamp bolt protruding:

y4mNqtRE4QLpHpZnm8OB_za7T_bgrlqtG1NPGbdA

The other side with the tube removed and the shorter Drill Press Clamp bolt secured in place over a large washer:

y4mYWvsELRvIKAm6mp4C0Tq7XK7EpK2pyexKCBG0

Under table view of the new clamp in action...it has the same or slightly more "Knee Room" below it as the original clamp on the other side...and is far quicker to remove/replace, and feels more solid once snugged down:

y4mFWeJOWTkqjc9FHs7-b6WB6TXNGhUoN4J_SZlW

Pro-tip suggestion to Yoke and Controller makers...consider providing an easy (METAL FOR CRIPES SAKE) fast clamp system like this for future product upgrades.

(edit to add: Pro-tip to ME: Consider dusting cat hair off of under table supports before taking photos...heh.)

And a couple shots from my first flight after getting back into the cockpit finally with my newly secured yoke...phew.

y4mC0s2aBXVobd9Uw8qkdlBQvTzgqwWgMAKRpGl_

y4m3Wrv9dnnAy3jj8aZo3smXpWJpODdY2tvaaEN0

Cheers all.

Matt/Capt. Coff.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 3