FSX photoscenery, landclasses & autogen

Ok, so here's my 1st question back here...

As part of my role with the Air Training Corps, I help out with the cadets and their FSX based simulator when it goes wrong. They use it to get to grips with the basic controls before stepping foot in a real Grob Tutor.

They've been using stock scenery thus far, and I brought up the possibility of having accurate scenery areas for local towns and airstrips (Lossiemouth 'EGQS', Kinloss, Inverness) and the local area in general. Herein lies my problem.

I've made a photorealistic scenery area with FS Earth Tile, it's great. I've imported it into FSX and it works....I can even find my house and follow the roads exactly. But there's no autogen houses or trees where the scenery textures are - it's completely flat.

Now am I right in my understanding that if I make a land class area, and put that above the scenery tile in the library, I should get Autogen houses and trees etc on that area... Well, I did that and i don't see anything. It's completely flat.

Any suggestions or help, I can even send you the FSET bgls if they'll help.

My understanding of Autogen in FSX is that it applies to the Texture.. so you have Autogen that applies to default textures and Autogen that is for photoreal.

If the Autogen is not specifically assigned to, and aligned with photo textures, layering in the scenery list won't help.

There used to be a scenery placement tool by F1 that might help,  or I think there is a way to add in objects using SDK bit I've never dabbled with that one..

There are a couple of scenery savvy guys in the Hangar that I'm sure can answer this one fat more eloquently than i

• 2 weeks later...

1st option: Use annotator to add autogen to photoscenery.  BUT its tedius adding millions of objects manually. 

2nd option: Use Scenproc to add huge numbers of autogen objects procedurally.  BUT with unpredictable quality.

3rd option: Upgrade to P3D 4 and/or XP11, get orbx TrueEarth. Recommended, but may come with some hardware cost! (Example video below)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I've got to ask though, what is the annotator? I thought I'd used this already but have been told that I'm using something completely different?

Moving away from FSX is a non-option (too expensive for a charity organisation), as is unpredictable placement of scenery objects as the Commanding Officer wants the local area to be as real a possible without affecting frame rates to much so as to keep it flyable on the system we have.

Edited by si3po
10 minutes ago, si3po said:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I've got to ask though, what is the annotator? I thought I'd used this already but have been told that I'm using something completely different?

Moving away from FSX is a non-option (too expensive for a charity organisation), as is unpredictable placement of scenery objects as the Commanding Officer wants the local area to be as real a possible without affecting frame rates to much so as to keep it flyable on the system we have.

Autogen annotator.  Its part of the SDK.

There is a cheaper option available to you as well.

Just flight are releasing their VFR photographic scenery again with an updated version including buildings and trees.  Its being released in volumes and Scotland hasn't been reached yet, so watch out in the future.

https://www.justflight.com/product/vfr-real-scenery-nexgen-3d-vol-one-southern-england-and-south-wales?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Just Flight Just Trains Newsletter - October 2018&utm_content=Just Flight Just Trains Newsletter - October 2018+Preview+CID_56dbd3d5969ea0bc2b58cfbc657c6a54&utm_source=cm&utm_term=VFR Real Scenery NexGen 3D Vol 1 Southern England South Wales

Works on FSX as well, remiss f me to not include it as an option above... K

Edited by Kevin Firth
  • 4 weeks later...