FS Hardware cost total

Just did an add up of the money I have spent on all the hardware I have. It came to $5330 Aus. Was quite shocked at the total, but as the spending was spread over a few years, it wasn't that obvious. A lot of it I dont use anymore either, and it's just gathering dust. Over $3300 just on Go-Flight gear alone. Of course this amount does not cover all the other bits, like payware aircraft, weather apps , GPS, scenery, etc.  Have a heap of stuff that I would like to get rid, but living in Australia, the cost of postage is a bit of a problem. 

Know what you mean, Neil.  I started using FS back in 98 days, cheap as chips then.  Under threat of having a Coronary if I calculated what has been spent over the years since. A little comfort can be gleaned from the thought that their are no pockets in shrouds though.  :D

Hmmm, having had a coronary several years ago I don't think I will attempt to calculate. :D

I am sure most flight simmers, who have been on the scene for over 10 years, have seen huge leaps in hardware requirements which have rendered their machine almost useless to fly the latest sim.

I'm hoping my present PC has a few years in it yet.

I guess that in comparison, it is not too bad.  I used to make models on a semi-professional basis.  For an example, I bought a Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27 Flanker to make (and add to my stash).  This cost about 90GBP.  It needed correction sets to correct inaccuracies......about another 60GBP.  A nice detailed cockpit...approx.  30 GBP...resin exhausts......probably 15 GBP....then paint....resin wheels to replace the vinyl ones and before you know it, a 95GBP model goes up to approx. 250 GBP!!  At least with flight sim, the program is there and you don't have to spend 50 plus hours to assemble it and make it look good..

By the way...I never did get that Flanker made...I got married and moved instead!! :wub:l

Over the years I spent thousands on controllers and panel hardware, that ultimately was junk. Some of it I managed to get rid of, but I only made back pennies on the pound.

Best thing I bought though was a 21:9 ultrawide monitor, that I got off some bloke in a service station car park for £40!

• Haha 3