where can i......

.....get a Messerschmitt BF-110 for FS9? I've checked the likes of AlphaSim, Real Air, Flight Replicas and (or so it seems) not one of the major developers have made one. I've tried a few of the freeware ones, but no luck there either. I used to have the Ground Crew Designs CFS3 version converted for FS9, but that was before my system went *its up and now the developers have ceased and faded away...

anyone got a clue or can point me in the right direction??

mut, they seem to be the ones i had before. my google searches went unanswered looking for 'Ground Crew Designs' and their own website (groudcrewdesigns.com) is non-responsive, so i'd thought they'd gone under - it seems not however. So thanks kindly for the links. I'll go get these and continue to build my WW2 Luftwaffe Hangar....next up the Feisler Storch, Focke Wulf TA152, and Junkers JU88....

Simi,

I got decent freeware versions of JU-88, Bf-109, JU-52 and JU-87 from somewhere. I still have the files. If you want to see them, they're in the Casablanca leg of the original ATWC. I put them in as AI to stage the Axis airbase shots. As I recall, the cockpits I looked at were dog manure, but the exteriors were pretty decent, especially the Ju-88 and Ju-52. Since I was only using them as AI they worked fine. Don't know how they'd work out as user-flown.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the files or we can try to figure out where I downloaded them from.

John

Probably so... It just seems like if you inverted it, it would complicate things like getting the fuel mixture where it needed to be for proper combustion, and not to mention cooling and oiling the crackshaft. But I've only seen pictures of them, I have no idea about the internals. Obviously they work, who am I to question it. :smile:

They're not much different from any dry-sump engine. Radials and many motorcycle engines are like that too. The oil runs to a small collection sump at a suitable low-point where a scavenging pump moves it to a tank. In engines that are certified for inverted flight, there may be a scavenging pump suction at both the top and bottom of the crankcase and certain other arrangements to make sure things are lubricated while flying with the shiny side down.

The main lube oil pump(s) takes a suction from the main oil tank and distribute the oil through a cooler, then through oil galleries, channels and tubes under pressure to where it's needed. Splash lubrication isn't depened upon much in aviation engines because they have to run in pretty much any attitude or orientations and also are subject to g forces in flight. All that would disrupt a wet-sump/splash system - the law of gravity hasn't so much been repealed as just suspended at times. Pressure lube and sprays to critical areas provide a more positive way of lubricating/cooling what needs it.

Oil that is pooled on the top of the pistons is thrown off as soon as the engine is started, but hydraulic locking from oil that runs past the rings into a cylinder (bottom few in a radial, all in an inverted vee-type) is a real possibility and that's why you sometimes see pictures of people "pulling through" engines before attempting to start them. That operation has less to do with pre-lubrication than it does with making sure that there isn't a cylinder full of oil.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling in my attempt to find you an exploded view of the bearing assembly. My mind's eye won't grasp it just as you. Chewy may pull through with some insight, he....well.........when needs be ,he has the aptitude and experiance with such things.

I didn't actually snap to that until you pointed it out, I was still struggling to figure out why the left bank compression ratio was different fromn the right bank.

A roller bearing on a one-piece crankshaft puzzles me. From those pics you really can't determine the answer, but I would have to assume that the inner and outer races were two piece units.

Anyone who has ever replaced U-joints on their car, and had the needles drop out, or fall to the end of the cap, would appreciate the difficulty involved in putting something like that together.

Beats me, leave it to the Germans to figure that one out?