What new feature would you like to see in Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020

On 16/08/2020 at 07:49, hlminx said:

I think, om the face of it, FS2020 is going to give that same warm fuzzy feeling that we all had when FSX first graced our screens.. Unfortunately, having recently moved to P3D, and not really having my skirt blown up, i think my P3D days are numbered (probably on the toes of one foot!). My Aerosoft A318-20 is probably the only thing i am likely to use on that platform going forward.  I'm just glad that i 1) didn't have to re-buy Orbx for P3D, and 2) that i didn't stick my hand in my pocket for A2A's 172!!

While I have a soft spot for FSX, I moved to P3Dv3 and liked it.  Seeing as I have updated my rig to a gaming computer, I bought PD3v4.5.  I am still getting used to it, but I do like it.  Ok...I admit it 'does not blow my skirt up', but that's coz I don't wear one!!! ;)

3 hours ago, jaydor said:

The files are not accessible like any normal window files.  Most are hidden or kept on the MSFS mainframe back in the USA.  You can not access aircraft files to paint  them.

I am trying to find out if the 6 disk set from Aerosoft places all the files as normal onto your computer and not treat it as a APP like the download.

All the files (90+GB of them) are on your hard drive. As with every previous version of FS, there was the opportunity to specify the install path on the screen with the install button (but we never see that "Browse" button in time, do we...). All the dds files are there, the aircraft.cfg file etc. However we still need to understand how the new packaging system works, so we can distribute repaints. But that will come...

And now it's easy to relocate the installation after the fact, since it's just a matter of move the folder and change one cfg file reference to it.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Tim_A said:

And now it's easy to relocate the installation after the fact, since it's just a matter of move the folder and change one cfg file reference to it.

I didn't know that Tim, I made the classic error too and missed the browse so it went to my C: drive.

I had to delete the first install off the machine as the files had gone all over the place.

Have done a second install onto it's own SSD as I don't want to spend another 7 hours downloading.

But here is a tip if you get a problem with ctd's etc.,  Go to you windows APPs settings and repair from there do not uninstall.

Do Repair first.  If that fails do Reset; but reset will wipe off your setting and revert the sim to default.

xwvcKSp.png

Edited by jaydor
On 19/08/2020 at 21:46, jaydor said:

The files are not accessible like any normal window files.  Most are hidden or kept on the MSFS mainframe back in the USA.  You can not access aircraft files to paint  them.

I am trying to find out if the 6 disk set from Aerosoft places all the files as normal onto your computer and not treat it as a APP like the download.

Jaydor,

This might help, I hope. With my installation of MSFS, I specified an install location, D:\Flight Simulator\MSFS 2020, as opposed to accepting the defaults. This created a series of folders under the MSFS 2020 folder, \Official\OneStore\ which contain aircraft configs and texture folders similar to what we have been familiar with.

If you are unsure of the install location for the above, open %AppData%\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

This file can be opened with Notepad and at the bottom you will find the setting, InstalledPackagesPath "D:\Flight Simulator\MSFS 2020" (my example).

Cheers
Andrew

4 hours ago, Andrew Godden said:

Jaydor,

This might help, Cheers
Andrew

Thank you Andrew.  I uninstalled the first, as the files had gone walkabout on the original install.  So I created a Flight Simulator 2020 file on a new sdd and installed it to there.  All files now accessible and the sim seems to be running better.  The joys of technology.  Thanks again.

James