Mutley Field Flight Adventures

Thanks Tim

I'm not too sure how I worked out the FSX plans, I just know that they worked for me in FSX when I saved them as a .pln file. Now though there are a lot of programs that can convert the files easily enough (trying to think of one but can't put my finger on it :whis: ).

I should really start to list a few more flights in here for people to fly

Actually, looking back at them I think I created the plans in FSX because I could make the customer waypoints more easily as I can just drag the line to where I want. I then messed around with them until I realised what needed to be removed from the plan for it to work in FS9 and whala!

• 2 months later...

Here is an easy way to convert FS9 to FSX or FSX to FS9 and it is a fine freeware program called

Plan-G. You can generate a flight plan in Plan G and the save it to either FS9 or FSX. I prefer to generate the plan if Plan G as you can specify waypoints and even add User Airports/NDB/VOR etc(I have only used the User Airport function but I am sure the other options are there.

Another advantage is that Plan G can be running along with FS9 or FSX and if you have a second screen you rarely have to go back to the primary screen.

Just Google Plan G, download, install and enjoy.

Gunk

Gunk,

Tim A in the posts above is the author of Plan G.

John

Aah, John, you've let the cat outta the bag! Now everyone'll know who Tim is...:whis:

And Welcome Back, Gunk - long time no speak! :thum:

Ciao - Dai. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Would someone be willing to help me out with creating these flight plans. I copied the info supplied in the quote box and pasted into my notepad. Saved it as a UTF-8 with a .PLN at the end of the Title (Flight 1 Isle...) and it shows as a PLN in my documents folder. What it will not do is show as a flight plan when trying to load in a flight.

A normal flight plan shows up like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0">
    <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
    <FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
        <Title>Home Base to Home Base</Title>
        <FPType>IFR</FPType>
        <CruisingAlt>5900</CruisingAlt>
        <DepartureID>Home Base</DepartureID>
        <DepartureLLA>N43° 28' 56.801147",W71° 14' 27.041016",+000000.00</DepartureLLA>
        <DestinationID>Home Base</DestinationID>
        <DestinationLLA>N43° 28' 56.801147",W71° 14' 27.041016",+000000.00</DestinationLLA>
        <Descr>Home Base, Home Base</Descr>
        <DeparturePosition></DeparturePosition>
        <DepartureName>Home Base</DepartureName>
        <DestinationName>Home Base</DestinationName>............

but the one I created shows up like this:

AceXML Document

VFR
EGHI
N50� 57' 25.65",W1� 21' 10.70",+000044.00
EGHH
N50� 46' 57.59",W1� 49' 36.78",+000037.99
EGHI, EGHH
Southampton Intl
Bournemouth

Airport
N50� 57' 25.65",W1� 21' 10.70",+000044.00

EGHI

Intersection
N50� 45' 39.85",W1� 29' 52.92",+000000.00

EG
SFD62.........

I placed my aircraft, in free flight, at Southampton airport and try to load the flight plan and it just brings me back to the flight planner. Where did I go wrong?

I fly in FSX.

Computer dummy,

Brett

Hi Brett,

Not quite sure why that is happening as I copied and pasted the code in my .pln file straight into the forum.

Maybe Tim can offer a reason, he is more well versed in the FSX flight planner that I am...

• 2 weeks later...

UK2000, when releasing their VFR Airfields series in three volumes for FSX also made available three free Demos to promote them. Each demo contains a subset of the airfields in the payware package and each airfield in the demos contains some of the features of the full package. Despite containing less than the entire set of payware features, this is pretty spectacular scenery. The free demos are available in three separate downloads at…

http://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairfields/index.html

Since everyone has access to the DEMO files for VFR2000 Scenery I thought it might be helpful if there were flight plans that would encompass all of the airfields in each of the three DEMO packages. I’ve assembled tour packages for both FSX and FS9, but of course the UK2000 demo scenery packages are FSX only. FS9 users may load and fly these routes and I’ve provided what’s needed to do that, but they will only see default FS9 airports unless they have other add-on scenery installed. Nonetheless, these are interesting, enjoyable and scenic tours. Regardless of which version of the sim you fly, you should enjoy the trips. If you’re in FSX and have the UK2000 Demo scenery, prepare to be dazzled.

I have developed flight plans FSj9 and FSX for each UK2000 DEMO airports. The goal was to keep the route time below two hours for each flight plan. Depending on the plane chosen I was able to accomplish that and come up with the following Tour packages:

Demo #1 VFR2000 - Denham to Bodmin

Demo #2 VFR2000 - Welshpool to Shipdham

Demo #3 VFR2000 - Skegness to Warton

While assembling this it occurred to me that John Allard’s work on Airfield Charts would add something by having pertinent data for each airfield easily available to provide navigational information and to support touch-&-goes or full stop landings and taxi tours for a look-see at the UK2000 eye candy, if desired.

John accepted the task of generating airfield charts for each of the Tours where he didn’t already have them and provided a full set. I’ve included them in pdf files within each Demo Tour. Some were custom-made to the UK2000 version of the airports and some are based on stock FS data. The main difference will be in the display of buildings on the chart – all else should be perfectly valid and accurate.

The completed package for each flight plan contains a Plan G screenshot of the route; screenshots of the airports in FS9 and FSX; the airport charts; and, the associated flight plan files.

The intent is to fly each of the routes from start to finish, with optional T&Gs or exploratory full stop landings at the UK2000-enhanced fields. An option for those with limited time for flying would be to start a flight plan and after landing en-route, save the flight so it could be continued at a later date.

Download and unzip the Demo Sceneries from the UK2000 site (link above) and the Tour packages, which are in pdf format from Mutley’s Hanger. Install the demo scenery packages per the UK2000 instructions within each.

Copy and paste, or move, the flight plan files to the proper locations – to your […\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files] or […\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files] folders, as appropriate. A minor change had to be made for the FS9 route in Demo #3 as some airports are only available in FSX and FS9 requires the flight plan to begin at an airport so I added an airport near to the first waypoint which only changes the flight time by about five minutes.

You are now ready to take a leisurely flight enjoying the scenery.

If you have problems, or questions, please let me know.

Here a sampling of some of the airfields/AI and buildings...

Candy5.jpg

Candy4.jpg

Candy3.jpg

Candy2.jpg

Candy1.jpg

Can you find the DC-3?

@ Brett - Rob's flight plans may work in FS9 but they are not in the right format for an FSX xxx.pln file. As I said, somewhere above, these plans derive from an add-on called "Pro-Flight 2000" from On-Course Software - or similar. Best wait for Rob to use Tim's Plan-G to produce an FSX compatible file... (No offence, Rob!)

@ Gunk - that's a great piece of work - thanks for sharing! And thanks for the new plates, John! :thum:

Ciao - Dai. :cool:

Thanks Dai,

I flew one already by making a PlanG flight plan(Thanks, Tim A). Should have saved it and uploaded it here. Sorry. I plan on flying some of them in the future and will do just that.