Windows 10 vs FSX Gold

•  
As some of you, I recently moved form Widows 7 to Windows 10.  Since then , FSX Gold has been a pain in the......well...you know where!

I started off with  error messages when I installed the Acceleration part (2nd disc) which I got resolved thanks to some help from people on here.  While I can get the FSX to work, it is the 'add ons' that are a real problem.  While some work, some do not want to play ball.  For example, The JF Vulcan will load, then just freeze and the frame rates are 0.6 per second!!  Some programs will load OK and I set up the flight, then the FSX window becomes an icon on the task bar and the compute freezes and will not do anything.  I end up having to turn the computer off manually via the on/off button on the computer tower...it will not even respond to the 'ctrl, alt & delete' command.
Just Flight indicate that programs should not be run in compatibility mode, some other advise online is that they should if they are playing up.  I must admit that I have got some to work in compatibility mode but others just do not want to know, even when they worked on Windows 7.

So, is there ANYONE out there who is using Windows 10 and FSX Gold together, and got things working alright who can help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain, Martin.  I haven't upgraded to W10 on my Sim Rig yet. I am using FSX Gold with W7 though.

Can't offer any assistance, alas.  Just to say, that I realise the inevitability of having to UG to W10 in the new year.  I had bought a copy of P3D v3, way back when but never bothered to install it.  Have now rectified that.  Started to get my head around it and must admit it runs well after sorting some teething problems.

In the new year I shall be rebuilding my rig.  It will be six years old by then.  So W10 will be the only route available.  That being the case I will buy a copy of P3D v4, which I should have a good understanding of, by then.

That said, I might just get a copy of the Steam version of FSX which should be ok on W10;  for nostalgia.  Even with it's VAS issues, I do like it.  Plus I have a shed full of scenery which I would be reluctant to lose.

Guess we are both going to get dragged away, kicking and screaming to bite the bullet.

Did you install everything as Administrator? I would guess that win10 has even stronger protections on their installs. Also if win10 has a default Program File (x86) I wouldn't install anything in their as it caused problems for some in win7 and it would be worse in 10.  Just guessing here and your text is hard to read being of a light color.

Sorry the text was light color.....it must have accidently got changed, so thanks for fixing it, Brian. :thanks:

I must admit that I did not install it as administrator, but I do run it as administrator. 

I have found that I if  I right click on the FSX icon and the click the 'run compatibility troubleshooter' every time I run FSX, it will probably work but for some reasons, when I click to save the settings after it runs OK, it does not seem to save the settings. 

However, where the real problems arise are after adding third party planes.  Some may work, but quite often, they will crash the system and the only way of getting out of it is the turn the PC tower off using the on/off button and not via the PC screen.  It's a mystery, as 'addons' are often marked as working with Windows 10, but for some reason, its as issue.

What is for sure is that I do NOT want to have to loose the many hundreds of dollars worth of 'addons', so I hope to find a solution somehow.....

Martin

Edited by Tristarcaptain
On 25/09/2019 at 23:49, dogtrack said:

I feel your pain, Martin.  I haven't upgraded to W10 on my Sim Rig yet. I am using FSX Gold with W7 though.

Can't offer any assistance, alas.  Just to say, that I realise the inevitability of having to UG to W10 in the new year.  I had bought a copy of P3D v3, way back when but never bothered to install it.  Have now rectified that.  Started to get my head around it and must admit it runs well after sorting some teething problems.

In the new year I shall be rebuilding my rig.  It will be six years old by then.  So W10 will be the only route available.  That being the case I will buy a copy of P3D v4, which I should have a good understanding of, by then.

That said, I might just get a copy of the Steam version of FSX which should be ok on W10;  for nostalgia.  Even with it's VAS issues, I do like it.  Plus I have a shed full of scenery which I would be reluctant to lose.

Guess we are both going to get dragged away, kicking and screaming to bite the bullet.

Hi Arnold/All

Since I have been having so much hassle with FSX/Windows 10, it has made me think about P3D too, probably V.3 as it seems a bit less demanding on my somewhat old PC.  Is it really necessary to get an SSD, it can it 'make do' with a mechanical hard drive?  I must admit that I know very little about P3D, but have noticed that a lot of my more recent (and expensive !) addons such as the JF VC-10 and Vulcan also run on P3D, which will help soften the blow!

By the way, I did look at FSX Steam, and it appears that since they did the last update, it is no longer compatible with Windows 10!  I think that they are trying to kill off FSX so that we will be forced into FS2020.....:gaah:

So, have any others switched from FSX to P3D and what are your thoughts.....?

Thanks.  Martin

• 5 months later...

Well, have taken the bull by the horns and upgraded W7 to W10.  Did a clean install so I have rather a long way to go before I start flying again.  All went smoothly enough until I decided to change the Boot drive from MBR to GPT.  Currently 2TB, wanted to clone to 6TB.  All the Auxiliary drives converted without a problem.

Anyway to cut a long story short; the PC failed to reboot, after using  "Partition Wizard Pro" v11.6 on the Boot Drive.  Shut down and swapped the drive out for a clone of W7 and did another install of W 10. 

Now deciding whether or not to try again, this time using " Partition Assistant Pro" by Aomei.  Have used it in the past successfully on W7 boot drives.  Though there was a side effect, where W7 update failed to function afterwards.  Instead I had to use "WSUS Offline Update", to collect all W7 updates.  A remarkable piece of software when dealing with multiple machines or indeed a single machine.

So, that is where I am up to now, at 03.20 Hrs......shall I or shan't I, that is the question  :yikes:  Watch this space !!

Edited by dogtrack

It seems I should have deleted all Partitions on the Boot drive prior to conversion.  Then installed W10...etc, etc.

Having installed Windows twice already, have decided to leave as is, 2TB.  Life's too short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...

Installing Windows can be quite a process, and it's easy to get confused about the best way to do it. I think it's smart of you to leave the partitions as they are and not stress about it. As you said, life's too short! As for the Windows 10 product key, have you tried looking on Reddit? There's a whole community there dedicated to helping people find product keys for various software, including Windows 10. I've personally found some great deals on there and I think it could be helpful for you too. Just search for "Windows 10 product key Reddit" and you should find some useful threads.

Edited by Goliaff