All is not well. I've run a full system scan with my Norton as a check and all is well there but I can't  get any  response when trying  the 'Executive Tour' mission on 'Easy' realism and making a slow and low pass at the Shuttle lift  - 2400 feet at  130 knots -  done this in the past with ease.

Should I consider an uninstall/reinstall ?

Some of us still here😁

FSX has always been unstable and when I was using it I had endless issues with crashes. 

There are a some good tips on this site for dealing with wobbly fsx but by now they probably buried a bit now. Try searching the site using terms like FSX Crash. 

Having said the above I don't have any experience with the Steam version so I can't be sure that any wise words found will work with the steam version. 

My personal experience with FSX weren't good with respect to stability, so I upgraded to P3D. This helped a lot but still not so good in some circumstances. Eventually I gave X-Plane 11 a try as a parallel install and I have found it to be very stable In deed. I have now given up on FSX and P3D and stick to X-Plane 11.

I always had trouble with that mission, sometimes it worked and sometimes not. I gather it has something to do with areas that the mission code requires for a "Pass" result on that node. If everything else works with FSX and this is your only problem than it's only with this missions parameters that is your woe.

One thing I noticed in flying a mission a few times is that one tends to think ahead of the mission and looking at the .xml one needs to hit the ten miles out trigger first to then hit the shuttle in sight one, in other words fly it like you would the first time(that you won the reward:D) so all the triggers get hit. Not sure if that's your problem but it's all that comes to mind.

If you think the mission is broken than as a last resort you can take that mission out of the folder and do a repair of FSX.  

Hi, Brett

i haven't had any trouble completing that'Executive Tour' once that initial target is completed. 
Your suggestion contained in your  final sentence sounds most interesting..I shall give that due consideration.

Many thanks, once again.