• Bandwidth: 20 Mbps

Microsoft Flight Simulator ideal requirements

• CPU: Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X/Intel i7-5800X
  • GPU: Radeon VII/NVIDIA RTX 2080
  • VRAM: 8GB
  • RAM: 32GB
  • HDD: 150 GB SSD
  • Bandwidth: 50 Mbps

OK, I am not a computer geek and do not understand some technical stuff, but I am curious if my computer could handle MSFS2020.  This might sound stupid to some of you, but here goes.....

VRAM...not sure what that is?

My computer specs are: (reading from the slip that came with it)

Intel Core i5-9400 (6-core/6 thread 9M cache 4.1 GHz Processor with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)

8GB 1xGB DDR4 2666MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6

(I am currently running P3Dv4.5 and it runs reasonably with some settings at max)

Thanks for you help.

Martin

Hi Martin, VRAM refers to the amount of memory on your video card and from what you have written you have 6GB.

So it looks as though you meet the minimum requirements although these figures can never be exact. I wouldn't upgrade any hardware until you try the sim on your machine. The sim is quite power hungry so you would have to run at a lower graphics quality to that you have seen in some of the screen shots on here. 

Cheers
Joe

• 1 month later...

Hi Mutley's,

March is coming (back) out of the closet - been racing cars since April with PCars2 and Assetto Corsa. I'm in the process of upgrading my system for Assetto Corsa Competizione and It looks like I might need to go a bit further in order to load and fly FS 2020. Car racing is quite cool in VR where Flight Simulator fails completely due to the problem of switching things on and off and dialing things up and down while completely blind. One good thing that's come out of the current  C-19 clusterf*%^.

Latest specs are : i5-10400|MSI MPG Z490| RTX2070 8Gb|32GB DDR4 3200MHz|Win 10 Pro. Needless to say that spec is backed up by serious SATA and M.2 SSD's along with case cooling and dedicated CPU Cooler ( I did not go liquid - just can't bring myself to take that step). This spec replaced the previous i7-4770 3.4Ghz|MSI H87M-E35|GTX 1060 6Gb|8 GB DDR3 666MHz|Win 10 Pro. The i7 setup ran the race sim with no issues until I tried Competizione - I got big time stutters in every corner with more than a couple cars on the track. - totally unusable. 

I've yet to actually bite the bullet and buy FS 2020, so wish me luck and pass along any additional wisdom before I do.

Cheers,

March

The one thing you didn't mention, which is as important for MSFS as your PC specs: what is your Internet bandwidth, and is it data capped? You'll have a 100GB or so initial download, and ongoing realtime downloads if you want all the eye candy.

Also bear in mind that it's still effectively a public pay-for beta, even though MS don't admit it. And the patches are typical Microsoft, ie they break as much as they fix, so you need to have a chill mental attitude at times.

Thanks for the reply, @Tim_A,

This family are not serious users of the internet. We have a 550 Gb monthly limit of which we regularly consume about 50%. My d/l speeds are approximately 60 - 70 mbps.

We, in Canada, are envious of all other countries in the world where the population doesn't get raped while using the phone/internet. Our phone and bandwidth charges are insane. I think it has to do with the fact that we are still paying for a hard-wire system that used to be touted as "The Best In The World". The only people we know with a land line are in their eighties. My wife and I abandoned the landline in 2007.

A 100GB download would have an impact. But, it wouldn't put us anywhere near our monthly allowance.

My biggest concern is going to be internal component throttling, so I've tried to buy the fastest components that the motherboard will handle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2020 at 05:51, Tim_A said:

The one thing you didn't mention, which is as important for MSFS as your PC specs: what is your Internet bandwidth, and is it data capped? You'll have a 100GB or so initial download, and ongoing realtime downloads if you want all the eye candy.

Also bear in mind that it's still effectively a public pay-for beta, even though MS don't admit it. And the patches are typical Microsoft, ie they break as much as they fix, so you need to have a chill mental attitude at times.

I suspected that they will several updates/bug fixes, which is one reason that I am not trying it yet.  Also, I would prefer discs and NOT just a download for that big program, but I don't think that they do discs for the U.S. right now.