Stay away from Carenado in 2020?

It's doing better than Carenado planes in P3Dv5 then. Since not only do they not start (at all, sometimes, where ctrl-e has been disabled), but also frequently have great chunks of the visual model missing...

• Haha 1

Carenado seem quite happy to tweak their models to show in a new sim e.g 2004 -> FSX -> P3D and now MSFS but some of the fundamental flight functions do not always work. I would be real happy if they build a new model from the ground up within the new SDK (when it's finished).

• Like 2

Is this guy serious!!!

The issues with his review:

• claims to review it thoroughly yet misses the obvious fault with the camera view settings...a minor camera.cfg error, by the way;
  • fails to acknowledge the "cold and dark" engine start is also a problem with some default aircraft, therefore, not necessarily Carenado's or the model's fault;
  • ignores the simple fact that flight simmers may want a Cessna 182T Skylane, so stating it has nothing over the default Cessnas is nonsensical and totally subjective;
  • the control sensitivity is also evident in other default aircraft, so he has either never flown them or has not done enough to adjust his controller sensitivities;
  • criticises the lack of static elements feature without stating whether MSFS supports this...he probably doesn't know;
  • his views on price ignores value for money considerations and with a current lack of any other 3rd party add-on aircraft, what is he comparing it to...a totally subjective assessment;
  • price is a totally individual subjective consideration, because it more often relates to the purchaser's personal desire and ability to afford, not the price of the product;
  • totally ignores the fact that there has never been a 3rd party add-on aircraft in legacy sims that was perfect on initial release, so why should this be different to expectations in MSFS;
  • whilst Carenado are not the best at patches and updates, they do generally release an update patch within four weeks of release (based on legacy sim experience) and this is not acknowledged; and
  • his poor piloting skills in failing to steer the aircraft on the landing roll out and he blames the model!!!!! :faint:

I have been flying this aircraft regularly since MSFS Release Day 1, and this aircraft is a great add-on and choice for those looking for a broader range of GA aircraft than that provided in MSFS, particularly the Standard Edition, for those simply wanting a Cessna 182T Skylane, or an aircraft with better performance characteristics than the default Cessna 172. It flies and handles nicely and whilst it is not without its issues, these are either not necessarily the fault of Carenado or the model and are minor and not the show stoppers he chooses to present them as.

Maybe he should spend less time on flashy videos and more time on actually getting "under the hood" of aircraft he reviews. :cool:

EDIT. It is also worth noting that after praising the exterior and interior visual quality and other minor animations not available in default MSFS aircraft, he makes no mention of these in his summary and only focuses on the negative points of his review.

Cheers
Andrew

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Further Testing. Never one to just accept something as a given or to make unsubstantiated claims, I have conducted further testing of the Carenado Cessna 182T Skylane which unfortunately exposes an additional lack of detail in this YouTube review.

Let's first look at the reviewer's failures in start procedures:

1. Differ significantly from those of the default Cessna 172 G1000 (a similar aircraft),
  2. Fuel Tanks not switched on,
  3. Standby Battery not switched to arm, and
  4. Fuel Pump not switched on.

Whilst identifying the "cold and dark" start issue, and then raising questions about its validity on the basis of other videos, he fails to explore and/or state what, if anything, he did to explore the issue beyond what he merely demonstrated. This is a classic case of simply presenting a problem without analysis. The reviewer has failed to identify that the "cold and dark" start issue only occurs if the Carenado Cessna 182T Skylane is the first aircraft chosen after first start up of MSFS. If the aircraft is chosen after having flown other aircraft, the issue does not exist.

NOTE. When correct procedures are followed for the start up of the aircraft, there is no issue. Having said that, my further testing revealed this to be intermittent and, therefore, more likely to be MSFS based and not the fault of Carenado or the model, as previously highlighted.

As stated previously, I have encountered this issue with some default aircraft and my testing continues to identify and attempt to replicate the issue.

The review makes no real mention of the performance of the aircraft other than the control sensitivity. With the flight controls of every aircraft, default or add-on, and every flight controller being completely different, this is superficial, to say the least.

For someone who credits himself on his YouTube channel as being a "Virtual Captain", whatever that means (maybe it has something to do with a specified number of hours on VATSIM), the reviewer's lack of thoroughness, glaring errors and simple, if any, analysis, undermines his supposed credentials and the validity of this review.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew, It's good to see you have gone to the trouble of showing us that the video maker is more at fault than the Carenado model.  The problem is we live in a media driven world where people find it easy to start a video channel.  They then become obsessed with number of followers which bring in money for them.  Then the super ego kicks in and they become convinced they are an expert.  Thank you for being diligent in fact finding that the model is OK.  I have it in X-Plane and had it in FSX, so the logic was to get it for 2020, but sadly I succumbed to the influence of the video and that's why I posted to the forum.  Thank you.. 

1 hour ago, jaydor said:

Andrew, It's good to see you have gone to the trouble of showing us that the video maker is more at fault than the Carenado model.  The problem is we live in a media driven world where people find it easy to start a video channel.  They then become obsessed with number of followers which bring in money for them.  Then the super ego kicks in and they become convinced they are an expert.  Thank you for being diligent in fact finding that the model is OK.  I have it in X-Plane and had it in FSX, so the logic was to get it for 2020, but sadly I succumbed to the influence of the video and that's why I posted to the forum.  Thank you.. 

Jaydor,

I merely seek the truth by challenging what is presented, where necessary, so that a better balanced and more accurate assessment of something is presented. I note that Q8Pilot, (real name Osamah Alabdullah) is a noted content creator and has quite a profile in the flight sim community, and particularly with X-Plane. His stated aim for his Carenado Cessna182T Skylane review was "...to provide you with sufficient insight and information to decide if this Carenado CT182T is worth the investment or not...". 

On the simple basis of the points I raise, he has even failed to achieve this aim! It is obvious that content creation and comprehensive, analytical reviews are not necessarily one in the same.

Cheers
Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I understand this is a very old post, but I have found replying as the fitting thing to do. This is Q8Pilot and while I appreciate the constructive criticism, my reviews have helped many in the community with purchase decisions. Catenado aircraft are not recommended but if you like them that's ok.

I am in this hobby for mere fun and passion for sharing the knowledge. I never claimed to be an aviation expert, but I know what is a well developed addon from a lousy one. Carenado builds for the casual beginners and if you enjoy their aircraft that's fine.

You may not agree with my assessment but obviously many do. For that reason, while I respect your opinion about both the aircraft and my review, I only ask that you respect mine in return. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I like the graphics made by the people at carenado, details, textures, it upsets me that they don't invest in realism, the fuses don't work, the buttons you can't press, engine problems depending on how you exploit it, etc. pa28 arrow from justflight is very realistic. if the people from carenado would invest in something like this, they would create the perfect plane.

Hi Bogdan and welcome to the forums here at Mutley's Hangar.

Although I prefer any aircraft from A2A due to their realism, Carenado birds due have their uses, want to take a quick flight with no pressure from said realism than these are the planes for you. They look good and usually fly by the numbers, through the years I have found some great fixes over at Avsim that make them very enjoyable to fly. Want to fly an aircraft no one else has, Carenado make a bunch.

I might add that the C182 mentioned here has had many more fixes than most of their products had in FSX (listed below). I don't think this company will ever change so fly them if you like them or don't. They have been around for a while so I guess they make enough to stay in the business.

So, I get your point and we have all wished for more and it hasn't come true. :D And since no one else is making the C182 RG II I just might have to cave and get it.

See you around Bogdan...

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 2.0.2
———————————————————-
Jun 22nd, 2023

-Other minor bug fixes.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 2.0.0
———————————————————-
May 26th, 2023

-Incorporated MS pilot avatars.
-Incorporated full operational VR.
-Included LEAN and ASSIST pages in MFD display.
-Fixed propeller de-ice switch and tooltip.
-Fixed Defrost knob and tooltip.
-Improved stall characteristics.
-Other minor bug fixes.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 1.6.2
———————————————————-
January 4, 2023

-Fixed pilot yoke center position.
-Redesigned flight dynamics for better accuracy.
-Updated avionics to standard G1000 nxi.
-Implemented VR controls.
-Corrected fuel flow indication.
-Corrected registration number’s color and font issue.
-Fixed tinted windows.
-Fixed kollsman baro indication to match G1000’s altimeter setting.
-Added engine heat effect.
-fixed other minor bugs.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 1.5
———————————————————-
January 12th, 2022

-Startup engine smoke effect added.
-Redone of all light effects.
-New way to hide/unhide tablet.
-Minor bugs fixed.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 1.4
———————————————————-
August 10th, 2021

-Wheel effects added.
-Updated for Xbox.
-Minor bugs fixed.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 1.3
———————————————————-
December 1, 2020

Fixed CTD when opening windows and doors after Microsoft update.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 1.2
———————————————————-
September 28, 2020

Fixed accuracy on autopilot for NAV/GPS and APCH modes.
Corrections made to EIS parameters.
Fixed startup procedure after cold and dark shutdown.
minor bug fixes.

———————————————————-
CT182T MSFS version 1.1
———————————————————-
September 7, 2020

Fixed Flood Light effects.
Fixed Stby altimeter baro setting.
Fixed Horometer
Fixed autopilot NAV mode
Fixed autopilot activation logic
Improved stall characteristics
Implemented tablet over pilot’s yoke to set desired airplane flight condition