Grrrrr, Shazbat....you get the drift?

OK, have downloaded and installed the MSFS2020 app.  Hey, sweet, I thought.  Activated the app, expecting wonderful things....Zilch. Tried a couple of more time with same result.  Uninstalled the app.  Reinstalled the app and tried again.  This time things happened....to a point. Low and behold I was presented with the X-Box logo, followed by some Black Shark AI artwork and then a lovely picture of Mount Fuji. At this point I was instructed to "press any key to start". Following the instruction I was presented with a black screen and a further instruction to "press any key to start.

After performing this function 111 times (for every key on the board) I was still being presented with the instruction "press any key to start".  By this time I needed to go and have a shave.

I might add that all this activity, with the exception of the shave. Has been undertaken both logged in and out of my MS Store A/c. 

So, before I consign my not so Premium Delux purchase to the virtual bin :(, has anyone got any suggestions ?  W10 2004 fully updated. System well able to run program on modest settings. Cable internet 20+ MB/s

Covid-19 aside, I hope you all are having a better day than me.

Hey Arnie, 

Did you even get to the welcome screen whereyou have to install all the Japanese stuff? 

It all went fine for me although one of the updates I had to keep downloading until it stated it was up to date. 

After that it was fine. 

Sorry to hear your woes.

No Brian, got as far as selecting the location for installing stuff. Then it went all picturesque on me. First install it never got that far. Might try a third uninstall and reinstall, but not today. Two hours of grinding my teeth is enough for this 24hours.

• Sad 1

Did you download like the following.

Go to the Microsoft store select MSFS2020 and click install, select where to install it.

After the install has finished.  Click the MSFS2020 icon on your desktop or in the menu system.  It will then tell you that it has items to download and install.

Let it, as these are the main ingredients of the program.  The install may take many hours.  It's only after the install finishes that you will be able to use 2020.

Did your install act as I stated above?..

Edited by jaydor
  • Thanks 1

Hi James, yes have been through that routine.  After line 3 is where it all goes pear shaped.  I installed a dedicated drive for this Sim, making it an eight drive system, including the DVD writer.  Beginning to think it may be a "Drive Too Far",  excuse the pun,even with a 1200 Watt power source.  Have a vague recollection of a similar happening about fifteen years ago.

Will reconfigure the system, move stuff around etc to give me an empty drive with just seven units.  That is after I remove the DVD writer first, to check my theory.

Who said lockdown was boring.  Thanks for your input.

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, jaydor said:

Just a thought, Have you considered downloading via Steam?

I do have Steam onboard James, as I use Aerofly as well as P3D.  However, I suspect that would require another Purchase.  A definite no no.

Spent the morning trying again....nah.  Download the App (1004.4 MB).  Get asked in the process where I want to install to.  Make my choice. Receive 3 Folders:-

ProgramFiles,  WindowsApps and WpSystem.  These folders remain empty, regardless of time passed.

We then go into the "press any key to start" loop.  Activate the App a second time and get told MSFS is already running.

So it is back to P3D 4.5 for me.  Have the ORBX-TE collection.  Spend most of my time on the W Coast of USA anway.

At 73 time is too valuable to waste  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I feel your pain Arnie, last week MSFS decided to stop working, clicking the menu option or direct from the folder wouldn't start it so I completely uninstalled it from me system.

Luckily a reinstall bought it back, on the first start after "Press any key" it took over a minute to get going but now is quicker. The update was quite painless and seems to be working ok. It definitely required patience, and a lot of it.

I hope you can get it working .. eventualy.

I'm trying to download mfs20 myself, after the screen that said 'hit any key' to get started it took a good 30sec or more before anything happened but I was finally on my way.

Unfortunately it is a long road and it has been downloading now for almost seven hours now and is only at 30%.  I am using a wireless connection which probably slows things down and watching the resource monitor it fluctuates between 2-32 Mbps.  Either my provider is limiting me(44Mbps download check) or Microsoft is swamped, my guess is the former.  Only 70 gigs to go....:faint: 

After my FSX took a dump I haven't flown for awhile so I thought this might be a good chance to get back in the saddle. I even purchased a new Predator Helios 300 laptop thinking I could sim between mid and high range in the new sim although I will have to wait and see. Thankfully the good Lord has given me a good portion of patience I say as I grind my teeth watching the download proceed.

Good luck Arnie.

Edited by brett
6 hours ago, brett said:

after the screen that said 'hit any key' to get started it took a good 30sec or more before anything happened

Glad it's working for you Brett and you aren't in the "Press any key" loop.  For some reason it just does not like my machine.  I did read somewhere, quite a number of folk having the same problem.  One remedy, in some cases, was to install X-Box Game Pass Beta. Then run the installer while logged in to both Game Pass and the MS account.  Had enough for now.  Perhaps retry in a few months time, when hopefully, a few changes will have been made.

• Like 1

Thanks Arnie but my main problem now is I still have not downloaded everything. I have gotten to the point where msfs20 is now on my PC but I still have 60GB to go on the update screen and this has been going on for days now.

Originally I kept trying to redownload from the Store but at some point it said the game was running and I noticed it was in fact in my start menu, closed the game out and restarted and it wanted to update.  Not sur how I got to that point as the loading bar was woefully light. Slowly chipping away from the original 75GB shown my download speed has been fluctuating all over the place and after awhile, hours, from the highs of 6-47Mbps it trickles down to Kbps and that's when I end it for the day. I gather it will be many days till finished, about the same time as if I was building a garage. :gaah:

My download did not include Game Pass at my choice because I don't really play games like that on the PC and didn't want to go through giving them my info and card to only try and get out of the monthly fees.

Hopefully they will come out with a fix to your problems and I'm sure things will get better after people stop or slow their downloads from them.

With download problems it might be worth trying this Brett...No guarantees, mind you :-

Open Command Promps as Administrator.

Once you are in Command Prompt, you will need to enter the following text EXACTLY as you see it.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

To copy and paste, simply highlight the above text, press CTRL+C, open up Command Prompt and then right-click on your mouse. This will paste it. Press ENTER to run the command.

If successful, you will get “Ok” displayed.

If unsuccessful, ensure you are running ‘Command Prompt’ as an admin.

Once you have run the command and you have your ‘Ok’ message, then reboot your PC.

Once it has restarted, load up Microsoft Flight Simulator and you should now see an increase in download speed.

Other Suggestions

According to Microsoft Flight Simulator’s blog, there are a handful of other suggestions you can do if all else fails  Where possible, use an Ethernet cable instead of WiFi. This will provide the best connection possible to your PC. Turn off any software that may restrict access to your internet. Software such as antivirus, firewalls, etc.Try a different installation path. Instead o the default C: drive, try installing somewhere else. Be sure to include a folder path such as ‘MSFS’ so you know where you’re installing the simulator.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi, Arnie,

I, too, often get no response at the "press any key" screen. Sometimes (but not always), using Task Manager to kill MSFS and then rebooting solves the problem. Yesterday, the problem went away by killing MSFS with Task Manager and then immediately restarting MSFS without rebooting.

Since I,too, am using version 2004 of Windows 10, I am wondering whether the problem resides with MSFS or with Windows 10 version 2004? (This is pure conjecture.) It will be interesting to see whether the October update Tuesday release fixes the problem. In the meantime, the Task Manager remains my friend.

Dan

Hi Dan, glad you have found a workaround.

Alas, in my case the "pess any key" instruction occurs before any software has been downloaded into the 3 folders mentioned earlier.  All I had was  the MSFS2020 app (1004.4 MB) in the Start Menu and 3 almost empty folders (ProgramFiles,  WindowsApps and WpSystem)  in my chosen location.  None of which disappear when uninstalling the app and two of which refuse to be deleted.  Had to use a small utility, TakeOwnership.zip to get rid of them.  Can be used on any locked file or folder, available here if anyone wants a copy:-

The DL/Link  "Take Ownership Menu Hacks"

Edited by dogtrack

Thanks guys, finally got it downloaded by closing it out and retrying until I got a good download speed although it still took some time.

Now I'm trying to figure out everything else. I did get my outdated joystick working but there are a lot of settings still to figure out using the poke and see method. 

I did take a short 15 minute flight in the C152 and need to figure out how to get the brakes to tighten up because I could have stopped it faster dragging my feet out the door. 

Nice one Brett. 

Bear with it, it takes a few days to get around all the new settings and keyboard shortcuts but once that's over with you should enjoy the experience. 

Now to get Arnie up and flying with it.

Another possible workaround when pressing any key doesn't work, is to press a mouse button. This worked for me, this morning. It begs the question: When starting MSFS, does MSFS sometimes think that I'm using an Xbox game controller rather than a computer keyboard?

Edited by Soaranden

Also another thing I noticed and not sure why it happened is when the press any key window came up the window, not sure how to say this, wasn't the main window open. I needed to click on the top header to bring it up to the top and then when I pressed a key and 30 or so seconds later things kicked in. It was strange because I was on my desktop and nothing else was open.

Even worse when your mouse and keyboard are bluetooth and switch between multiple computers. MSFS ALWAYS freezes for 20 seconds when you switch the keyboard (or mouse) back to that PC