Hi,

My new PC finally arrived today after setting me back more than enough money :bowdown: .

I've installed FSX, SP1 and SP2 but on medium settings, no AA(!!) i'm only get 8 frames per second with a burst up to 80 every now and again for a fraction of a second... Where did it all go wrong! :biggrin:

I could get that sort of amount on my old PC... I wouldn't expect it from an i7 920 @ 3.4GHz and 6GB of ram.

Hardware failure?

Is vista limiting me and I need to disable something?

Ufff,

Sam...

try playing with the CPU affinity Sam, maybe FSX is being limited to one core...

and then you've got GPU drivers, direct x, service packs for vista.....needless to say, just because ists a brand new system doesn't mean its bleeding edge up-to-date.

Something definitely wrong with the set up Sam, it would be helpful to know what view you are using, aircraft, scenery, display settings, graphics card, 64bit OS? etc. I am still running a Q6600 with a 7900GTX and it's brilliant, honest. But it is a compromise, there's no way you can run it on max settings .... yet.

I had a 9800gx2 1GB graphics card which you would think would eat frames but the opposite was true. FSX doesn't like SLI cards and the graphics card was consuming valuable processor cycles. I went back to the single 7900GTX 512mg and FSX just sprinted away.

stick with it and experiment, let us know how you get on.

Hi Guys,

try playing with the CPU affinity Sam, maybe FSX is being limited to one core...

and then you've got GPU drivers, direct x, service packs for vista.....needless to say, just because ists a brand new system doesn't mean its bleeding edge up-to-date.

I installed all of the above yesterday before I even tried... It seems whatever settings I use, the frames are always around the same. I'll try the CPU in a minute...

Something definitely wrong with the set up Sam, it would be helpful to know what view you are using, aircraft, scenery, display settings, graphics card, 64bit OS? etc. I am still running a Q6600 with a 7900GTX and it's brilliant, honest. But it is a compromise, there's no way you can run it on max settings .... yet.

Default A/C & Scenery

1400x900

Nvidia 260

Vista Home Premium 64

Cheers,

Sam

Well... After a clean-install of everything(!) i've finally got FSX to 'fly'. :biggrin:

Now if people could send me their tweaked files or give me links on how to do it hopefully we'll be 'flying'!

:bowdown:

Well... After a clean-install of everything(!) i've finally got FSX to 'fly'. :biggrin:

Now if people could send me their tweaked files or give me links on how to do it hopefully we'll be 'flying'!

:bowdown:

good news sam, what FPS you getting now? try moving the sliders to more than 3/4 and see what effect it has, the i7 should handle it well...

Around the 30 mark so not what I'd expect, but flyable. I still get the impression all of the i7 isn't been used... :nea:

you could be right Sam,

have you played with the CPU Affinity? Set FSX to use all 4 physical cores (do this by setting to 15 apparently?!?) with the Affinity Mask. I found a thread on SimViation.com that might be useful to ya....just click here!

The thread mentions adding something called 'Job Scheduling' with AffinityMask set to 15 in the FSX.cfg file and configuring the BIOS to disable HT...its too complex for me to explain so i'll let the guy who found it out do that part...:

setting 'AffinityMask=15' locks FSX to the 4 physical cores of the CPU and the theory right now is that it also resolves thread collision problems the i7 presents since FSX is not a hyper-threading application and the changes to i7 design may be making the app work a bit confused as to what is a real core and what is a virtual core.

i7 design change makes the virtual core appear like a real core. Just because HT is disabled does not mean the other part of the core is not seen by the app.. .and that may be causing FSX to spawn threads for cores that do not really exist. By the time the app figures out that the threads being spawned are not being addressed it spawns another thread to a real core and a collision occurs and a stutter may ensue.

The process is supposedly so good that others have been able to MAX the AutoGen and Scenery sliders!! :woot:

The other thing i'd suggest (as was the case with FS9) is to lock your frames at 30 and disable AA from within the FSX game menus. This gives more than enough FPS to not notice any stuttering, and allows the CPU/GPU more bandwidth to cope with rendering other things rather than keeping up the speed.

Then you've got more FSX.cfg tweaks, a few i've found are tweaking the 'BufferPool' and 'Texture Bandwidth Multiplier (TBM)' settings.

The best settings (so far as i've researched anyway) seem to be:

BufferPool = 100000000

TBM = 90

The answers are out there Sam, i guess its a 'suck it and see' problem mate!....but whatever happens, let us know!!

Right, after a little playing around and finally ticking the DX10 box, I can now run ultra high smoothly!! :woot:

I've come across two problems though.. maybe you can help? At certain angles my lights don't show and when ever I minimize FSX it never reappears in full screen mode.

- The light problem (resized/compressed by Photo Bucket)

fsx2009-03-2817-02-39-37.jpg

Sam

Hey Sam, I am really pleased you got smooth action at last, with FSX the lower FPS rates appear to be smoother than FS2004, my advice is turn that darn FPS display off an just enjoy the sim :woot:

The external nav lights are a different thing. There is a bug, I assume you are using QUOTS there by the quality? If it is allied to the nav lights issue I know of it is unlikely to be fixed now that ACES studio have been disbanded. Sometimes FSX shows the lights displaced from the fuse and the wings. We all suffer from it but I don't think there's much we can do about it :nea:

Stick with it, these niggles sometimes get resolved.

Cheers

Hey Sam, I am really pleased you got smooth action at last, with FSX the lower FPS rates appear to be smoother than FS2004, my advice is turn that darn FPS display off an just enjoy the sim :woot:

The external nav lights are a different thing. There is a bug, I assume you are using QUOTS there by the quality? If it is allied to the nav lights issue I know of it is unlikely to be fixed now that ACES studio have been disbanded. Sometimes FSX shows the lights displaced from the fuse and the wings. We all suffer from it but I don't think there's much we can do about it :nea:

Stick with it, these niggles sometimes get resolved.

Cheers

Thanks Joe, that's what i've done.

Yeah it's the PMDG.

If anyone's up for a mess around multiplayer session, let me know!

I really hope we can get that up and running one day. Longbeard has offered his servers, I'm sure one day soon it will happen but we all seem to be on different projects, I am on two betas as well as the forum(s) and website :nea:

Unfortunately getting someone to arrange it all and members to commit is virtually impossible atm.

Watch this space as they say :woot:

Cheers