Microsoft Flight Simulator Controller Mappings

I have created a search table for the default standard keyboard, joystick, and X-Box type controller mappings for MSFS. I have also included the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Quadrant too as they appear to be the most popular yoke and quadrant combination for MSFS.

https://mutleyshangar.com/controls.html

It should be simple to use, as you type in the search words the table should auto filter to entries which contain the combination of words, for example, "Bravo throt" will return lines which contain that phrase.

image.png

If you were to just enter "throt" then all controllers will be shown:

image.png

I hope it comes in useful, I found it most handy when setting up my Elgato Stream Deck. :hat:

https://mutleyshangar.com/controls.html

• Thanks 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm still trying to find a more relevant topic for this, but since it has to do with controllers...

b

Love your guide, and if my controllers were working, it wold be nice. But I cannot find the answer to my problem, even on the MSFS2020 forums:

Since SU5, the only parts of my controllers working are the axes. I have the X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Bravo quadrant...and I cannot bind anything to the buttons /switches on any peripheral. In the FS controller section, any axis can be bound, and when done, you can watch the bar slide back and forth as you move them. But if I try to bind, say, the Flap switch on the Bravo, I first clear the bind and validate, then mouse over the empty box and click down on the Flap lever - the correct switch seems to bind, but when I click on Flaps Down, the switch doesn't show as activated, and nothing happens. This is the same for anything but the axes, ergo, none of my buttons or switches work anymore. And no one on Asobo even answers my query. 

So while I love your mapping listing, since I can''t fly, I'm dead in the water.  BTW, I also fly in DCS, and everything works over there. It DID in FS2020 before SU5 (and the Hotfix,too!) came out.

Hi Gary, that is a real tale of woe, there are some outstanding problems I understand but I thought one of the hot fixes addressed it.

I use the Bravo too and the flap switch works fine, it's set up like this:

image.png

I have pitot heat set to the first switch, that should show as "Joystick button 35" and it works in the sim. 

Have you tried creating a new profile?

On 14/08/2021 at 19:34, gpbarth said:

I'm still trying to find a more relevant topic for this, but since it has to do with controllers...

b

Love your guide, and if my controllers were working, it wold be nice. But I cannot find the answer to my problem, even on the MSFS2020 forums:

Since SU5, the only parts of my controllers working are the axes. I have the X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Bravo quadrant...and I cannot bind anything to the buttons /switches on any peripheral. In the FS controller section, any axis can be bound, and when done, you can watch the bar slide back and forth as you move them. But if I try to bind, say, the Flap switch on the Bravo, I first clear the bind and validate, then mouse over the empty box and click down on the Flap lever - the correct switch seems to bind, but when I click on Flaps Down, the switch doesn't show as activated, and nothing happens. This is the same for anything but the axes, ergo, none of my buttons or switches work anymore. And no one on Asobo even answers my query. 

So while I love your mapping listing, since I can''t fly, I'm dead in the water.  BTW, I also fly in DCS, and everything works over there. It DID in FS2020 before SU5 (and the Hotfix,too!) came out.

You might have written this incorrectly but you need to clear it, bind the switch and then validate it. Then when you leave the page it will ask you to apply and save. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 11:09, mutley said:

Hi Gary, that is a real tale of woe, there are some outstanding problems I understand but I thought one of the hot fixes addressed it.

I use the Bravo too and the flap switch works fine, it's set up like this:

image.png

I have pitot heat set to the first switch, that should show as "Joystick button 35" and it works in the sim. 

Have you tried creating a new profile?

Okay, I'm not even going to try this and get back to you - I am doing these steps as I write this, and let the chips fall where they may:

1. Load MSFS2020 (BTW, the Cub Crafter X Cub is on deck, and it has Flaps)
  2. Open the Options menu
  3. Open the Controls Options
  4. Click on Bravo Throttle Quadrant Filter - Assigned
  5. Click on Flight Control Surfaces
  6. Click on Secondary Control Surfaces
  7. Click on Increase Flaps, currently set to Joystick Button 15 (no response at this time)
  8. Click on Joystick Button 15
  9. Click on Clear Current Input - box changes to "Start Scanning" (now at this point I usually Validate the Clear to make sure the box is empty)
  10. Validate
  11. Increase Flaps entry is gone
  12. Search for "FLAPS" - Filter = All
  13. Click on Increase Flaps binding box
  14. Click the Start Scanning box (which is empty)
  15. Push the Flaps lever on the Bravo DOWN - Joystick Button 15 appears
  16. Click Validate
  17. Delete the Flaps from the Search box, Filter back to Assigned
  18. Go back to Secondary Control Surfaces - Increase Flaps shows Joystick Button 15
  19. Click Apply & Save
  20. Reach over to the Bravo and depress the Flaps switch

Now, at this point, depressing that switch SHOULD make the binding box FLASH on the screen as I push the lever down. In my case, nothing happens. Now I am going to venture into new territory here, so...

I go back to my Welcome screen, go to World Map, select KABE as my departure airport, on Runway 24, KRDG as my destination, VFR (Direct - GPS), and click FLY, then Ready to Fly  Remember, I'm loading the Cub Crafter X Cub.

And Great Caesar's Ghost, the flaps ARE working. I'm in the process of checking all of the other functions right now, but as for the Cub, almost every switch seems to be working. I'm starting to feel a bit better now, but the complex planes still have me skittish. At this time, it seems as though what ISN'T working is the Controls Options actually showing the movement of anything I am binding. It shows the binding being made, but doesn't show the binding in operation. Am I making sense here? I have kept up with every update and hot-fix to date, and somewhere in there, everything SEEMS to have been fixed except the visual indications on the binding screens.

SO - is anyone experiencing THIS problem? I thought I had the latest AFC Bridge and other necessities...maybe not. Sorry for such a long post, but I had to do it this way to prove I was doing it all right, and in the process, discovered I was, but saw a new problem. Onward and upward!

Hi Gary, 

Great that its working and from what you are describing, everything seems normal now.

The visual actions do not appear on my system either, so I wouldn't worry about that, so long as everything works in sim you are fine.

Hope this helps.

Brian.

Thanks, Brian. And to add to my frustrations, I discovered while doing this set-up that the first 2 levers on my Bravo are toast. When I move either one the first 1/4 inch or so, nothing happens, and then the axis goes instantly to 50%. From 50% up, normal. But right now, my two controls are 0 to 50%, with nothing in between. 

But that's another story, eh?

• 2 months later...

I'm Back !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got tired of racing cars so I thought I might give the (new to me) MSFS 2020 a go.

Ohhh boy - nothing has really changed on the set-up front.

I dusted off the flight controls - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Cessna Trim Wheel, and CH Pedals. For now, I'm just using the Cessna 150 for testing and set-up.

To start with, I had to toss the CH Pedal assembly. I'd sort of forgotten that one of the reasons I went racing is that the pedals/brakes really didn't work anymore despite hours spent dismantling and cleaning the pots. At some point, you have to recognise that you've worn them out. I bought a new set of Logitech G Pro Flight Pedals. They seem to work OK.

I've been down this rabbit hole before so I do know to make sure that I don't have multiple bindings for the same device active at the same time.

What doesn't work is the Trim Wheel. Took it apart - no apparent reason for the problems. This assembly uses an optical encoder (I was prepared for another potentiometer arrangement) so no excuses there and nothing to clean/adjust. I can get MSFS to recognise the gadget, but it works poorly - not very precise. Initial movement yields gobs of trim then it seems to smooth out. Yes, I have unticked the box in Control Panel USB Power Management settings. Any attempt to fine-tune things in the MSFS "Controls" doesn't have any effect. The GUI (slider representation) works a treat. Makes it look like I'm going to have wonderful control over the trim. Not so in reality. No sign of any improved drivers or such. In fact, it sort of looks like the manufacturer and the industry, in particular, would rather we all forgot that this widget was ever made.

The Flight Yoke needs to be dismantled because it sticks in both axes - I hope it just needs a cleaning and a touch of silicon grease. If not, I guess it's going to take a visit to Honeycomb to throw a bit more money at the problem. 

The only thing that works well is the throttle quadrant. I'll leave that alone.

I bought Pete Dowson's FSUIPC7. It's not clear how that applies to MSFS 2020 so that can sit on the shelf for the time being.

Next is to try the SPAD.next route - seems to be highly recommended - any comments? One thing right off the bat - their website makes heavy use of this phrase: "Content for this page is not yet finished. Please come back at a later time". Maybe I need to pay attention to the writing on the wall and avoid buying anything until that warning goes away.

It's fun to re-make acquaintances. Thanks Andrew, for the review on the Honeycomb stuff.

One last thing: I've ordered an i7 chip to replace the i5 currently in the motherboard as well as some more fans. I've noticed an uptick in temperatures while experimenting with MSFS 2020. 

• Like 1

Hi March, thanks for checking in it's great to hear from you again.

MSFS is a fantastic sim with lots more to come. It's a shame they tend to break something with every update but they are adding to the functionality with every update. I purchased FSUIPC as well but not had to use it yet. I use the Bravo yoke, it's a class act and you think you have something far more expensive than it is. On the trim wheel front, I think the Saitek one takes a few turns before it starts to register. The wheel on the Honeycomb Bravo feels weighted so is a joy to use.

Not sure about Spad I know Needles used to use it with his sim panel, not sure if he does now.

Happy trails,

Joe

Hi John, nice to see you back flying. 
I did indeed use Spad and Spad Next but with MSFS you don’t really need it. 
MSFS seems to run all my hardware quite smoothly. So try it without Spad first.

You may have to remap some, if not all your controls but that’s no big deal.

Good luck in getting MSFS running for you, you won’t regret it. ATB

Brian aka Needles

Hello Joe,

Glad to be back.

MSFS may need a bit more time to mature. I'm far more interested in the VR aspect. At this writing, it looks pretty good. It doesn't really work very well so I'm paging through the issues and solving one at a time.

- Trim issue, close to solved. I have it working after a fashion: Changing the slope of the controller "Extremity Dead Zone" has made some major improvements in the amount of travel needed to affect a trim change. I'm set to 60% which results in a pretty flat range. "Reactivity" set to 50% and all other settings at 0%. Just needs a bit more tweaking.

- Also, something I learned a long time ago and reproduced here in case others experience the same problem. While your trim is idle, windoze turns off the power to the port, requiring a bit of jiggling to wake it up. Just what you need on a trim wheel.

Open "Control Panel/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers/USB Root Hub".  Double click on the suspect hub (you'll have to identify the particular USB port), then click on the subsequent "Power Management" tab. Uncheck the box beside "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

- I routinely go through this list and uncheck that box on all ports - the computer is plugged in to the mains, so why worry that one of the 5V ports is still "ON"?

- Next is the navigation equipment: Garmin 530/430 in the C172. I use an Oculus Rift 2 and the buttons on the nav equipment, including the autopilot panel are near impossible to read. Gotta work on the memory.

Cheers,

March

• Like 1