Thinking About Hardware and Flight Simulators

(I write this the day after Microsoft announced the system requirements for running Windows 11.)

I run three operating systems (Windows 7, Windows 10 and Linux), and I select which operating system to run using hardware switches.

I continue to run FSX on Windows 7 because Windows 7 has the best user interface of the three operating systems and because FSX does not require online access. Through functionality enabled by certain add-ons (such as Heli Traffic 2009), FSX continues to offer features found in no other flight simulator. My six-year-old hardware easily handles running both Windows 7 and FSX.

MSFS runs beautifully on Windows 10, but MSFS requires online access for full functionality. This does not bode well for my continued use of MSFS on my current hardware. When Windows 10 reaches end of life, I will take it offline, and (since my current hardware does not support use of Windows 11) my use of MSFS on my current hardware will end.

A couple of years ago, I chose to use Linux as my main operating system. It was a good choice. Linux will continue to run on my current hardware for the foreseeable future, and I can continue to enjoy a flight simulator (X-Plane 11) that is being continuously developed.

With my current computer, I won't be getting on the Microsoft hardware-upgrade bandwagon. I can continue to enjoy FSX running on Windows 7 and X-Plane 11 running on Linux. No hardware upgrades required.

Dan

Hi Dan

Thanks for posting. I can understand your point of view, I am a 'fan' of Linux too but I have now removed all other sims (I had most of them) to concentrate on MSFS. It seem that being online is crucial for many programs if you want to interact with other pilots, we have our own little moderators group and enjoy flying together.

As an afterthought, I offer this question that may be answered in time:

Will it be possible to run MSFS on Linux using Valve's Proton technology (which enables running Windows-only games on Linux) together with Nvidia's DLSS technology (found in the most recent Nvidia graphics cards)? The idea is that DLSS would compensate for loss in speed caused by the Proton layer.

The first question leads to another question:

Will Microsoft allow it?

Microsoft could either ban it outright, or they could sell MSFS licenses that would allow running MSFS on Linux.

Dan