Hughes H-1 Racer - 352 MPH World Record Re-Enactment - The 1935 Story Plus Remastered Photos & Video

Timestamps: Introduction - Hughes speech 0:00 HCG Digital Arts Ltd 0:34 Miami races spark Howard's interest 1:17 Hughes assembles a team 2:10 Test day 2:54 Amelia Earhart involvement 4:09 Departure 4:20 The Rules 5:03 Seven speed trap passes 5:15 Landing view cameras 7:12 Vintage video 9:10 Three point landing for Hughes 9:14 Even Howard bounces on a landing 9:33 Remastered H-1 photographs 10:05

• Like 1

Your video work is as sleek as the H-1 Doering, always a pleasure to watch.

Looking at the cockpit of the H-1 got me asking the question, where did the World War II fighter style cockpit layout come from. I'm sure you can look at something like the Jenny with the radio on the right and controls high and left but does anyone know which plane could be the origin of the standard cockpit layout of our beloved Spitfires and Hellcat's, etc.

Back to the H-1, the aircraft looked fast before it even took off, I don't know how accurate the one I had in FSX was, but I felt my sim life was in danger just piloting it, although I guess that's what made it fun just the same. Must have been thrilling for Hughes to go for that world record, I think 'Must' is the wrong word since he was having so much fun he never looked at the fuel gauge. That gave me a good chuckle. 

Thanks again for the entertainment.

Hey Brett, thanks for the look and commentary. Yes, many adaptations from the H-1 can be seen in the WWII fighters. Would have been cool to meet Hughes in his hay day before things kinda spiralled down after the XF-11 crash. Cheers!

• Like 1