Worst USA air crash at the time - San Diego, 1978.

A Pacific Southwest Boeing 727 Airliner & a Cessna 172 collided mid-air near Lindbergh Field, San Diego in September 1978. The Boeing was on downwind to land & the Cessna was completing ILS practice. All on board the aircraft died, along with some on the ground. The aircraft were destroyed, along with houses on the ground. As is common, there was a chain of events leading to the disaster, but one stands out on its own. Come see how such a thing can happen. Hope you find this interesting. Cheers.

Thanks guys, you are both so nice. Yeah, Brett, a lot has changed since then, but I believe GA mid-air collisions are on the rise even with TCAS, ADSB etc. just a few months ago my CFI and a student were killed going into Mangalore airport here in Victoria, Australia, when they collided mid-air with another aircraft coming out of Mangalore also with a CFI and student - both were IFR (in clear weather) with ATC. I did not know the other CFI but my CFI was in his early 40s and one of the nicest guys you could meet. So sad. It makes me quite nervous to continue my own recreational flying IRL. Cheers.

2 hours ago, brett said:

Did they figure out what happened or still being investigated, either way it's sad news.

Yes, the final report is out on my CFI’s crash. It includes the following:

“This was the first mid‑air collision between two civil aircraft operating under the instrument flight rules and procedures that have been in place in Australia for decades.

The ATSB identified that, following receipt of verbal traffic information from the controller, the pilots did not successfully manoeuvre or establish direct communications on the CTAF to maintain separation, probably due to the collision risk not being recognised.

While it is probable that the aircraft were in instrument meteorological conditions at the time of the collision due to the presence of extensive cloud, the known limitations of the ‘see-and-avoid’ principle meant that the pilots were unlikely to have seen each other in sufficient time to prevent the collision even in clear weather conditions.

Additionally, following receipt of an alert indicating the developing proximity of the aircraft, the controller assessed it in accordance with the required procedure. However, after considering that the pilots were aware of each other’s presence and were required to ensure their own separation in non‑controlled airspace, the controller did not intervene further.

While the pilots were responsible for self-separation within the Mangalore CTAF area, they did not have access to radar or automatic dependent surveillance broadcast (ADS-B) information. As a result, the pilots were required to make timely decisions to avoid a collision without the best available information.

Finally, although not contributory to the accident, the ATSB identified that the wording of procedures relating to the conduct of practice instrument approaches at Mangalore Airport resulted in varied application and an increased risk of traffic conflicts.”

Cheers Brett.

• Thanks 1