UK WW2 Ghost Airfields & Bombing Nazi Submarine Bunker Valentin.

WW2 Nazi submarine (U-Boat) factory Bunker Valentine was supposed to produce the best-ever Nazi submarine, but it came too late in the war. Despite its top secrecy, the Allies knew all about it and bombed it in Mar 1945 just before it became operational.. The airfields in the UK, from which the bombers came, are now ghost airfields. We will look at them, & other ghost airfields, from a Spitfire, as well as look at Bunker Valentine itself. Cheers. Hope you enjoy.

Wasn't too long ago I watched a documentary about nazi mega works that showed Valentin and its bomb damage, thanks for showing not only how it was flown but the old airfields too. Thanks for the look-see Frank, still enjoying these history journeys.

Edited by brett
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Brett. There are so many ghost airfields in the UK, and I guess to a lesser extent in the USA and elsewhere. I love it when someone comes along and runs a nice aviation heritage museum, and some GA flying still happens. It’s great to preserve/honour the memory of those who fought and died from there. But I guess we cannot keep them all. Cheers.

So true, no doubt the cost of buying and maintaining an airplane also limits the need for as many airstrips. I would have to look into it but maybe the need for more farmland might be a part of it too, along with the government not being able to sell them after the war to interested airport owners.

Have always enjoyed perusing this old site for lost airports here in the states. http:// http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

I found this site after a cop killer(Eric Frein), after a long manhunt was found at an abandoned strip called Birchwood-Pocono Airpark in 2014. Me and my honey stayed at a resort there a few years before and was the reason for the interest.

• Thanks 1