Papua New Guinea - Amazing Bush Strips & Famous WW2 Kokoda Track

Come visit some amazing bush strips in Papua New Guinea along the famous WW2 Kokoda Track where the Aussies stopped the Japanese advance to the south. Try your hand at landing & taking-off from these sloping, short strips set on mountain tops or in deep valleys. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.

• Like 1

Fighting in mountain terrain just plain sucks, kudos to those tough and brave men. :salute:

Thanks for another video that draws us history minded folks right in, by that I mean I always end up spending hours researching the details because of your content. I need to add the fact that you scared the heck out of me on some of those landings. :P

Keep up the great work Frank.

6 hours ago, brett said:

Fighting in mountain terrain just plain sucks, kudos to those tough and brave men. :salute:

Thanks for another video that draws us history minded folks right in, by that I mean I always end up spending hours researching the details because of your content. I need to add the fact that you scared the heck out of me on some of those landings. :P

Keep up the great work Frank.

Drawing in history minded folks is part of my intention - so that’s great Brett.

Scary landings? That’s because IRL as a recreational pilot I fly only a C172, in perfect weather, on flat strips, at least 1,000m, usually sealed etc etc etc. Very, very safety-conscious low-hours, recreational pilot! Cheers Brett.

• Like 1

Flying anywhere in PNG is challenging and very often scary. I worked fly in-fly/out in PNG for a few years, working at Ok-Tedi gold and copper mine up in the Star Mountains. Flying into Tabubil or Kiunga in bad weather was, interesting to say the least , threading the. way through the mountain valleys with cloud above and sometimes below, in a Beechcraft King Air. Also flew into Port Moresby a few times from Cairns.

Neil

• Like 1

That's a pretty cool resumé Neil, flying in the sim alone there gets my heart rate up. I would think that the locals would, at the least, cut some of the taller trees seen in Franks video, so they can get deliveries. Not all of them of course because they would want to prevent landslides.

• Like 1