Anyone Else Looking Forward to the VRS SuperHornet ?? !!

Take a look at the review on AVSIM....looks awesome.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0609/VRS/F18.htm

I especially like the sentence towards the end of the piece referring to carriers with landing capabilities to use with it:

"...Of course Acceleration includes moving carriers, but there are some other more detailed options in the works that will knock your socks off..."

About time FSX got a decent carrier.... :bye:

400 page manual...puts the F-16 to shame.... :thumbup:

wow, that looks very complex and fun!

400 page manual that's not complete? Did they run out of printer ink? :smile:

I read a review in Computer Pilot today about the Razorback, was that your handy work Gabe? If so it was a good piece

I wonder if the FSX version will be a port-over or a true native SP2 model?

Although this model is impressive, its use is somewhat limited in MSFS. They really belong in a combat sim where you have proper missions and scenarios.

Impressive review though. :smile:

Cheers

Well judging from what I've read, together with the developer's interview at the end of the excellent AVSIM review (he's only 19 yo :smile: ), I'm pretty certain it will be built using the FSX SDK.... :whis:

For example, he's talking about all the extra effects and functionality that can be included in it compared to the FS9 version.

If it coincides with a decent carrier it should be a nice package, albeit quite pricey. I've been playing with the F-16 and F-18 a lot recently and I'm well into the Hornet, but there only really the missions to play with as I have nothing but problems with XFire (..wire ?) which is needed for the launch/trap systems to be used fully on the default carriers...which look pretty rubbish too.

The config. manager for the FS9 version, even allows you to auto-configure it for Redux lights. Top stuff ! :wow::rockon:

:stars:

I wonder if the FSX version will be a port-over or a true native SP2 model?

Although this model is impressive are nice, their use is somewhat limited in MSFS. They really belong in a combat sim where you have proper missions and scenarios.

Impressive review though. :whis:

Cheers

Well I've heard a lot of peeps say this, but I've always thought differently. The vast majority of "miltary" flights in the RW, do not involve dropping bombs or firing missiles....although this can, apparently, be done with the FS9 version of the Hornet. Most are training flights, which can be done in SP or MP mode, recees, spy misisons and so forth.

{To be honest, I'm creating a miltary ops company in AH......as far as I know Microwaves are "code" for "Warheads; "Seafood" is code for "Biological Weapons" and so on......Mum's the Word !}

With the Hornet, I'm expecting great advances in systems modelling (such as full TACAN systems for navigation) and the challenges of flying such a fast a/c are in themselves reason to play with them: formation flying, 'follow my leader' and carrier ops. Hopefully, if a decent carrier comes out too, some decent mission packages may be devloped as well.

Also, there is a fascinating history behind these aircraft, and stuff like the large bombers, C-130 and Spitfire-type aircraft really bring a new dimension to simming, especially when coupled with authentic scenery, which can be found if you look hard enough. I mean, watch a documentary on the Discovery Channel (or History) on the Spitfire, then boot up FSX and get into RealAir's version.....try it...you know you want to !

:smile: Phew..... rant over !

wow, that looks very complex and fun!

400 page manual that's not complete? Did they run out of printer ink? :smile:

I read a review in Computer Pilot today about the Razorback, was that your handy work Gabe? If so it was a good piece

Yup, afraid so.

500 word limits.....really difficult....just sent another off on the RealAir Duke. It really deserved a full 2000 words in my opinion. Could barely scrape the surface, so I just concentrated on what makes it stand it out from the rest....still needed a lot more just to do that though ! Fantastic addon as usual.

500 words! I couldn't even describe the box cover in 500 words. Ridiculous. Another reason why the web is driving the print media out of business. To mis-quote Stonewall Jackson, they seem intent to, "...get there lastest with the leastest."

John

Hi John, been away ?

I agree, but since CP Mag went bimonthly, they've started doing 4 mini-reviews per issue...1 page only - essentially 500 words and 3 or 4 little pics. I wouldn't mind but some of the stuff they do 4 page reviews on, are arguably, perhaps (being polite here), only worth 1 page. And, of course, it won't be printed for months.

IMO, the Duke is THE best GA addon, EVER made for FSX. Period. One page is almost sacrelidge. It won't be printed until October...!!!!!!

Other problem, is that if you just list the features, it's no different to an advert...you may as well just link to the developer's website on the news page ! So, you have to pull out those features that "set it apart", discuss performance (FPS), graphical quality, and whether you should go and buy it.

As you say, 500 words is a joke; I used more than that for my introduction sections in my previous articles/reviews. My Gee Bee review on AVSIM, was around 3500 words....and that's just an engine with wings (well, sort of 'wings') !

And the real pain, is that you spend just as much time testing the addon, for a tiny piece....and given how hard it is to write a decent review in 500 words, you spend almost as much time writing it ! BUT.....you only get paid a fraction of the fee for a full-blown article !

Well after a few times, the novelty does wear off......then it's a case of how am I going to pay for my i7 system at xmas ? :great:

n/b the new D0 stepping on the i920 allows it to run at 4Ghz on air........oh those people who paid