Guess The Airplane II

Just to change things a little, I'm going to focus on the main landing gear of this one, which is of a very unusual configuration... You may have a hard time finding it (or not) but once you do there will be no doubt.

- Aircraft was in production, not just prototype

- Multi-engine

y4mNqszu8NSa1EZi4RZ82Fb6iwDwBFgj1rKjH2TT

y4mMu0o8FgEamxbdv-FuVLi9MSbo_uxZY4r5OzyK

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - 'fraid not. Think multi-engine. Also that one photo is a little deceiving - that hulking black post gives the appearance almost of being part of the gear - it's not. The trapeze arrangement is the only thing connecting the wheels to the AC. It's very odd.

John

Looking at the picture it appears to be housed in a museum of some sort. So that would give the impression that it is a very unique/famous plane that has played some significant part in aviation history. But that's as far as I get, haha

Was it just the landing gear on display or the whole aircraft?

2 tyres so must be pretty heavy, I thought a "B" bomber at first but don't think so now. :great:

The whole thing doesn't look right if forward is indeed the way you are indicating?

Cheers

I didn't crop the museum photo, so not sure how much is actually displayed.

The arrow indicating forward is correct and that's one of the odd things about the configuration. The whole main gear strut lattice extends more or less down and forward from the nacelles (there's a hint).

It's a moderately large AC, not particularly recent. If you see a photo of one with the gear down, you'll be in no doubt it's the correct AC. It's a very odd landing gear design.

I'm quite sure it's an AC you've heard of - it's not particularly obscure.

John

those engines aren't jets Rob. Look at the model plan, it shows a propeller on the engine....and i dont think its a Heinkel....that cowling screams Dornier DO-335, but that was an in-line twin engined a/c and wouldn't have nacelles

Attaboy, Phil. Nice work. I guess I made you guys work pretty hard for that one. I thought I was taking it easy on you after the Inflatoplane, but apparently not. Good effort by everyone.

John