Leg 51: Santander-London City LEXJ-EGLC

After a long and very enjoyable adventure, it's time to bring things to a close.

We sat there at the ramp and wondered what aircraft we could possibly use to kick off the final leg of this fantastics adventure, and then the answer was sat there staring me in the face...

20.jpg

I grabbed the keys and just before I started the taxi, another bird of large proportions grabbed my attention

sharon.gif

All aboard and off we head to the runway for this first leg to Paris Orly, LFPO

1.jpg

The tower gave us clearence to enter the runway and take-off without any trouble

2.jpg

3.jpg

After take-off it was a quick climb to FL290 in this lightly loaded A380, as we cruised along we were able to take in the fantastic sights along the way

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

But before long the French ATC began to bring us down for our final approach into Orly

12.jpg

13.jpg

As per usual they were being awkward and decided to take me miles away from the airport before bringing me back around for landing, but at least we got to see the Eiffel Tower

14.jpg

Finally they decided to bring us in for our final approach

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

And the Eiffel Tower was on the other side now!

23.jpg

We touched down with a super smooth landing in this collosal aircraft

25.jpg

We just managed to fit onto the taxiway

26.jpg

And parked up on a remote stand

27.jpg

After a quick break for a BLT French Stick and a cup of coffee, it was back out to our next aircraft. Unfortunately Joe had pinched the keys to the A380 to make sure he was back in England before us. But he had left us with another great aircraft, the Duchess, which could probably fit in the A380's cargo hold!

28.jpg

All set and ready to go. This flight would take us across the Channel and into Marston, EGMH, airfield

29.jpg

Looks as though the weather is still good for flying

30.jpg

Instruments are all working as they should be

31.jpg

We had to hold for a short while until this A300 had cleared the runway; the cheek of some people!

32.jpg

Tower clears us for take-off

33.jpg

34.jpg

The cruise over northern France wasn't anything special, MS hasn't been kind to this area of the world with regards to the scenery

37.jpg

38.jpg

However, we continued to plough on towards the Channel, and thankfully the weather held out

39.jpg

40.jpg

As we reached the coastline of France we began to descend and position ourselves for arrival

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

The coastline of England is far better than that of France, thank you Just Flight!

44.jpg

Almost there now

45.jpg

46.jpg

And all of a sudden something caught our eye as we were about to land, the shot from Dai in the tower showed us this strange vehicle on the runway which ATC can't have seen. Is this Joe's sunday run-around perhaps?

47.jpg

After a safe landing we taxied to the parking area and tied down the aircraft for the night

48.jpg

49.jpg

So this is it, the final chapter of this epic adventure. The crowds are gathering at London City and Sharon and myself are all set for this early morning departure in a classic aircraft, the Tiger Moth! I only found the installer for this earlier in the week lurking on an old USB stick.

50.jpg

51.jpg

The tower caught me wrestling the Moth towards the runway on this crisp Saturday morning. The flight plan is simple: Keep the coast on the left and fly up the Thames

52.jpg

We received clearance to depart and the Moth lifts off at around 50kts

53.jpg

54.jpg

VFR Scenery really helps to improve the flights

55.jpg

56.jpg

Weather is looking fantastic this morning, more than can be said for outside my room where it is chucking if down!

57.jpg

Follow that coastline!

58.jpg

An early morning beach-goer thought the booze from last night was still having an effect when he saw us flying overhead

59.jpg

Nice and calm waters out in the North Sea

60.jpg

Caught be a gust of wind

61.jpg

Wow!

62.jpg

Almost at the mouth of the Thames, not long now

63.jpg

Right or left? Right of left? 'RIGHT!' shouts Sharon. I can only just hear her over this fantastic engine note

64.jpg

Looks as though the rain may be moving south, I hope it holds off

65.jpg

Murky waters near London, it has to be the Thames

66.jpg

All quiet down below as the English capital comes to life

67.jpg

Looks like we have outrun those dark clouds

68.jpg

Descend down a little lower to make finals a bit easier

69.jpg

70.jpg

London looks good in FSX

71.jpg

The chase chopper got this shot for the BBC News 24 Channel

72.jpg

We were asked to fly a left handed traffic pattern into runway 10

73.jpg

Peaceful on the waters

74.jpg

I can almost smell my Bacon Buttie!

75.jpg

I wonder if we will be able to catch a game later???

76.jpg

The final turn of this great adventure

77.jpg

Short finals, a little low

79.jpg

BBC News 24 covering the event live

80.jpg

John was waiting in the tower for us. Smile please!

81.jpg

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

82.jpg

All that's left to do is taxi to the terminal and go for some breakfast with the crew

83.jpg

Parked up and secure, Sharon jumps out and races into Joe's arms. She's been gone a long time!

84.jpg

Thanks for organising a fantastic adventure Joe, it's been brilliant seeing how everyone gets from one airport to another.

Sharon! :wub:

**erhem** Rob

:whis:

Superb final leg, I don't think we have had any of these aircraft in the ATWC before so a rare treat.

I really enjoyed your mini adventure and classic ATWC post.

The screenshots were the best I have seen from you and are a fitting tribute to all that have taken part in the challenge. (More of that later)

So, for now, well done Rob, excellent Job. :winka:

:thanks: Oh I have got it!!

Cheers

:blush: Now then mut Again!?! :biggrin:

Possibly later in the year Ed when we are all back from holidays and looking forward to Christmas etc! In the short term Mutley Field operations will be taking over, the quicker we can get the flights done and money in, the better the routes and choice of aircraft will be.

Cheers

Good to see we have made it back safe and sound and seen parts of the world you wouldn't normally think of visiting without this challenge. It seems so long ago that I started out from London City headed for Jersey. Time to concentrate on Mutley field now i think for time being.

CaptHill