A2A Releases Piper J-3 Cub

Few airplanes define "stick and rudder" more faithfully and distinctly than does the Cub. Aeroncas, Taylorcrafts, Stinsons, Luscombes, Cessnas and all the rest are but refinements and alternatives to what was created by the advent of the Cub. They are all the heirs of the Cub, and as such, owe homage and their very existence to their venerable predecessor.

The New A2A Piper J-3 Cub Features:

* As with every A2A aircraft, it is gorgeously constructed, inside and out, down to the last rivet.

* Flying qualities built by pilots with unprecedented stall and spin realism.

* Includes standard J-3 Cub, tundra tires, floats, and skis (nine liveries).

* 118 page, full-sized Pilot's Manual written by Mitchell Glicksman

* Visual Real-Time Load Manager, with the ability to load fuel, oil, pilot, passenger, and cargo in game

* Single code base for both SP2 and Acceleration, so both SP2 and Acceleration will yield 100% full features.

* Sound engineered by A2A sound professionals.

Accu-Sim J-3 Cub Expansion Pack

* Accu-Sim physics creates an entirely new world including true wing, airframe, engine, ground, water, and internal systems behavior.

* Passenger On Board

Unfortunately the Piper Cub (and any complex Accu-sim product with that level of detail) would simply not work within the limitations of FS9. Many of the features in an Accu-sim product would rely on SimConnect etc, only available in FSX

Martyn,

i know what your saying, and sure do respect that the level of realism cannot be matched in FS9, but even a stripped out version without all the Accu-sim stuff would be fine for me, and im sure many others too...anything to better the default MS and other shoddy, half-hearted attempts at J-3 Cubs out there.

As it is, we FS9 users are, again, left out in the cold as this new add-on was developed.....

Simi,

While I agree with your observation that we FS9 users are getting less and less, I don't think it's going to change except by getting worse in the future.

I'm not crying any tears over missing the boat on a new full-featured Piper Cub. Life's too short to spend it flying at 65 mph. None the less, it's another example of an FSX-only release, of which we're seeing more and more. (e.g. B-377; Connie)

Sooner or later we're all going to have to move on to FSX or whatever ultimately replaces it. The limits of FS9 will become more and more apparent and constraining as the capabilities of FSX are further exploited and as the emergence of new and better hardware permits it to be run more optimally. Win 7 is going to give FSX a boost too - XP can't handlle it optimally and Vista - well, don't get me started on that. I believe Win 7 will further enhance FSX in ways that Vista can't.

At the present, I feel as if I'd be giving up more than I'd gain to move to FSX but the day will inevitably come when the balance will shift for me and when it does I'll make the leap.

I note on the AirHauler Stats page that fully 75% of the AH users who are uploading their stats are using FSX. That surprised me but it's a fact. We're a dying breed. FSX is better; it has some capabilities that are not present in FS9. Now that FSX has stabilized following the initial torrent of updates and fixes (SP1, SP2, Acceleration), the developers are really getting their teeth into tapping some of the things it can do.

Simconnect opened a lot of doors for developers to do some really innovative things with FSX that simply cannot be done with the earlier sim. One of the most exciting is the capability to push AI flight plans directly to FSX without compiling. That's provided the means for Duncan Murray, the AH developer to allow FSX users of AirHauler to see their own AI-flown flights as traffic while they are flying user-flown jobs. It's amazing. It won't be long before that capability is used to put real-world traffic in your sim in near-real time. It was the need to compile the flight plan files into a bgl that prevented that before. That is no longer necessary and sometime soon, someone will offer an add-on that will give you RW traffic just as we already enjoy RW weather.

Whilst I agree with everything you have said there John, I don't think that FS9 will ever truly die out.

I fly more or less with an even split when using FS9 and FSX. FSX is far superior and some of the things that can be achieved in it are fantastic. However, when using FSX i'm always thinking 'when is it going to crash', which sometimes takes the enjoyment out of the flights because I am limiting myself to shorter flights than I would like to. Whereas when I fly with FS9 I know that I could fly for however long as I want and the chances of it crashing on me are extremely remote.

I just hope that Win 7 does solve some of the problems with FSX