Boeing 767 Pedestal Project

No worries about progress Jack, just keep up the stirling work on your rig. It's keeping many of us glued to the forum.

Thanks alot for the kind words Brian! good news is, the CDU is "going udner the knife" today with ALL the circuitry being completed. The final stage of itnerfacing will be done when the O/C card arrives!

Jack :yikes:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Opencockpits USBKeys Card has been shipped, and the circuitry for the CDU has been complete. The only thing left to do is wait for the USBKeys Card to arrive, and when it does just attatch the circuitry straight onto it.

Then all I do is plug it into the PC, then run a SIOC script and hey presto!

Hey Jack thats great news, it's been along wait. Keep up the good work not long too go now. Matey.

PS Jack did you get your refund on the CDU ?

Hiya Mike,

No refund yet, but Opencockpits have received it and they say they wil lrefund me via PayPal very soon.

Furthermore, just found five defective switches shilst testing the CDU with a Multimeter! Not to worry though, they will be repaired today just in time for the arrival of the USBKeys Card.

Wednesday 2nd June

At long, long, long, long last, the CDU wiring has been completed! This means that absolutely everything is done, all that's left to do is connect it to the O/C Board when it arrives. A big thanks goes to my father for his sodlering skills which are second-to-none, unfortunately I can't do any wiring like this (you'll see below why... Looks at the complexity!).

These are probably the last shots you'll see of the Pedestal until the O/C Card is connected (hopefully this weekend).

The Matrix wiring:

100_0976.jpg

How the CDU "Screen" works on the Pedestal:

100_0978.jpg

Also, you may have noticed that an "EXEC" white LED has been placed just above the Execute button. This is obviously meant to light up when it does on the Sim, but it can't be electronically implemented until the O/C MASTER Card arrives (NOTE: Different to the OC USBKeys Card, different Circuits!).

Thanks very much for reading, criticism/comments/thoughts are all welcome.

Thanks,

Jack :winka:

Looking very neat Jack. Will your father get to play with it too?

Maybe only when you go to bed, me thinks. :thum::cool:

Ohhhhhhhh yes. Seems like my Sim just got a new pilot! In fact, he's asked me to produce tutorials on how to program a CDU just so he can use it! :winka:

BTW: The Opencockpits Card has literally just arrived! It will be wired tonight, hopefully for (first time ever) a VIDEO of the CDU & Pedestal in action!

Very exciting news! :winka:

Very exciting news! :winka:

Very exciting news, indeed! The CDU is looking really fantastic, Jack. Looking forward to further updates. :thum:

Although I haven't commented much on these projects, I have had a good look at them - certinainly very inspiring!

Cheers,

George

I apologise for the delay, everyone.

Unfortunately we've hit a few problems connecting CDU to the Card, reason being is because the pins on the card are so close together it has become near impossible to achieve it.

Never fear, a solution is being worked on but not sure when it'll be finished.

Once again I do apologise,

Jack :clapping:

Monday 7th June 2010

Everyone, this is a very proud day in the history of the Pedestal. I have finally managed to get the CDU fully working, alongside all my other Modules. And if I do say so myself, the result is absolutely fantastic.

For the first time in the life of the Pedestal, I have produced some real-world footage of me running through some pre-flights at Brisbane, tuning the radios, squawking the transponder, setting up the CDU, etc.

Gents, without further ado... I present to you the Pedestal!

5owXV7dA2Wo

Thanks very much for viewing, I reccommend you watch the whole video to get a good feel of everything. Watch in high-quality, fullscreen... However you do it, just enjoy video. :dance:

Thanks alot, comments are appreciated!

Cheers,

Jack :faint:

Hi Jack,

Nice video indeed.

I was wondering, is your CDU screen well aligned? I do not see the scratchpad at the bottom. You should be able to see what you are typing, is much easier.

regards,

Nico Kaan

Hi Jack,

Nice video indeed.

I was wondering, is your CDU screen well aligned? I do not see the scratchpad at the bottom. You should be able to see what you are typing, is much easier.

regards,

Nico Kaan

Wow! Hi Nico, I think we're all honoured to see you here as a member! :thumbup:

Anyway, it was just the angle of which the video was filmed. The scratchpad is actually there, it's just that the camera was held at a slightly downward angle. Thanks for your kind words :bowdown: .

BTW everyone, a small introduction here. Nico Kaan is a Cockpit Builder from the Netherlands. He works wonders with the program SIOC (that I used to program my CDU), and he has also developed the program Lekseecon which provides a connection between the LDS767 and SIOC (which I also use).

Hi Nico and welcome to Mutley's Hangar. You will feel very at home here as there are a wonderful bunch of guys & gals here.

Many of whom have a great sense of humour. Mutley is away on some sort of holiday but I'm sure he will be only too happy to welcome you also. Enjoy the forum.

Kindest Regards

Needles aka (Brian)

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your kind words.

I have spent quite some time and emails with Jack about cockpit building and I must say that I'm amazed with the things he has accomplished. Eager to learn and persevering.

kind regards,

Nico

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your kind words.

I have spent quite some time and emails with Jack about cockpit building and I must say that I'm amazed with the things he has accomplished. Eager to learn and persevering.

kind regards,

Nico

Awww Nico - You're too kind! :thumbup:

I'm always willing to learn & pick up advice from other people :bowdown: .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thursday 5th August 2010

The Audio Panel has been fitted! Furthermore, the casing of it has been removed so we can have a look at the internal electronics, and the good news is that it looks like they can be interfaced to the Opencockpits Master Card. Since however, I don't have a Master Card at the moment, it is being installed as a very nice authentic dummy unit.

A Power Supply has been attatched to the (native) red bulbs which are for the Backlighting (original backlighting too!).

Please remember that this Audio Panel (728-A2) is from a REAL Aircraft for that all-to realistic feel :wow: .

Pictures:

100_0145.jpg

100_0144.jpg

100_0143.jpg

100_0140.jpg

In the dark, with Backlighting turned on. Is a little blurred because the Camera doesn't like having the Flash turned on. Also, note that one of the clear circuit breakers (6 of them, look at picture above) has been pushed in, they light up red when they are depressed:

100_0130.jpg

Next thing to do will to be install the Weather Radar Panel. Now, like the audio Panel, this is a part from a real aircraft, however it is natively not a Weather Radar Panel. It is actually a DECCA Panel that will be interfaced as a weather radar.

Photo:

100_0118.jpg

The Pedestal has also been given a full dust & clean and has been polished.

After the DECA/Weather Radar Panel has been installed it will be back to the Overhead Panel for a bit.

Jack :woot: