Boeing 767 Pedestal Project

Heheh, no problems, got the Matrix wiring sorted out.

It works like this:

Say the "A" key on the CDU. This has two terminal legs coming off've it.

The O/C Board has 11 rows of 8-pin arranged circuitry, this is the Matrix config.

Row 1 is called A, row 2 called B, and so on. Each pin on each row is called a number. So, for example if we are referring to the fifth pin along on the second row down, it is called "B5".

Anyway, one of the push-button terminal legs is connected to "A1", and the other connected to "B1". This coombination of wiring is simply translated as:

"Key press "A" is defined as A1 + B1"

Simple. So when we press key "A", SIOC doesn't receive a signal called "A", it receives a signal called "A1 +B1. However, this doesn't matter as A and A1+B1 are exactly the same thing.

Please tell me if you need this explaining in more detail, I will not hesitate to help you out!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to say guys...

For the CDU, I will be enlisting the help of my fantastic father. This is because he is a chartered electrical engineer and also a genious with wood/metalwork. He has also assisted me in some past building, but never have I needed his help so much, this CDU is one complex thing.

I feel so much more comfortable with him on board with the CDU, he makes all the wiring look like a doddle.

Jack :thumbup:

Sunday 25th March 2010

The CDU panel has been cut! The frame is of aluminium and those small stands you can see on the sides are made of wood.

fmc0002.jpg

fmc0001.png

Of course there is a long way to go yet, lots of soldering and mounting of buttons but hey, it should be worth it in the end.

I have just ordered the SPST Momentary normally open Black Push buttons from Rapid. The only buttons I have yet to order are the circular buttons for the CDU.

Thanks alot,

Jack :thanks:

I have some fantastic news about the O/C CDU!

The CDU has been located... And Correos are sending it back to me! It turns out that for some strange reasons Opencockpits did not collect the CDU from the local post office... Well anyway. I will resend it and hopefully get my refund this time!

Regarding the self-built CDU... Progress is running great. I've just obtained some awesome circuit diagrams from a member at MyCockpit.org, which are essential for the CDU's construction.

Jack :thanks:

Unfortunately the USBKeys Card hasn't been ordered yet, but I can safely say that the CDU construction is coming along very well. Sadly, no pictures today, but I do have this Circuit Diagram I drew of the Matrix Wiring that'll be used. Take a look:

MatrixCDU.jpg

Also, for those of you who are interested in building your own Simparts, I am making a tutorial on how to design a simple GA Autopilot panel using the BU0836X Card.

Jack :biggrin:

Hiya Joe,

It depends. In this case, I have draw the diagram before soldering, purely for the reason that I'm not overly experienced in Matrix Wiring. Basically, I made the diagram, then showcased it to Nico Kaan (a genious when it comes to IOCards, USBKeys, etc) - And since he has approved of it and says it should work, then all is good.

However, in the case of the overhead panel, so far I have pretty much soldered first and then produced a diagram.

thanks alot,

? I am just confused looking at the diagram let alone soldering, not that I should be trusted with one!

I wouldn't think you are the only one TRB :thum: .

However, if you look at the diagram closely, there is only a total of 19 wires, which isn't that many. It's the daisy-chaining of the wires which is difficult! :thumbup:

Sunday 9th May 2010

I have some very exciting news to report!

The CDU construction is now 100% complete! I still have the wiring left to do, and from thereon interfacing, but for the most part we are complete!

I'd like to thank my father for greatly helping me with the CDU construction, thankfully his experience allowed me to build such a precise unit.

In this first picture, notice how the CDU "screen" is actually just an enclosed hole which very neatly slots over the 15" EICAS Panel:

CDUBuild0003.jpg

Some more pics:

CDUBuild0002.jpg

CDUBuild0003.jpg

I am also building a B767 MCP, but this is a smaller background project so I will post pictures when it is finished probably.

I also have work to do on the 767 Overhead Panel, it's busy busy busy!!!

Thanks alot,

• 3 weeks later...

Friday 28th May

I have some great news! Opencockpits have finally confirmed that they have recived the CDU, and that the refund should arrive soon.

Anyway, I've ordered the USBKeys Card from Opencockpits and it will be fully wired up to the (home-built) CDU within a week or two, all pictures will of course be posted!

This is finally some good progress in a long while. I'm not sure what I'll implement next, we shall see!

Thanks alot,

Jack :winka: