Unusual AirHauler Job

...but have forgotten that my AH company is no AI, no loans. If I don't do it it doesn't get done. I did once land a Cessna 337 Skymaster on one of the JF carriers however, sans arresting gear.

John

Only thing to do is land at an alternate and calim bad weather.

...or read the fine print before accepting the job.

Once the bird farms are installed, AH (and Cargo Pilot) just sees them as another airport, just like water runways. If you're too quick to accept the job, you're stuck.

I think there are sixteen carriers in my FS installation, eight from JF Traffic 2005 and eight from Abacus Flight Deck IV, though they don't pop up for jobs very often. It was unusual enough that I thought folks might enjoy seeing it.

John

Only thing to do is land at an alternate and calim bad weather.

...or read the fine print before accepting the job.

Once the bird farms are installed, AH (and Cargo Pilot) just sees them as another airport, just like water runways. If you're too quick to accept the job, you're stuck.

I think there are sixteen carriers in my FS installation, eight from JF Traffic 2005 and eight from Abacus Flight Deck IV, though they don't pop up for jobs very often. It was unusual enough that I thought folks might enjoy seeing it.

John

But in Cargo Pilot, you can click on the airport before accepting the job, but it doesn't say it's a water runway. Sometimes you need to go to the internet and look up the airport to find out. They could have done a better job in CP

It's been a long time since I've used Cargo Pilot and I'm working from memory here... always risky. I'm pretty sure there's a label above the bottom left pane of the cargo screen. If you click it you get the details of the departure airport, the destination airport and something else, job details I think. Anyway that label, which doesn't look anything like a button, really is a button and does a three-state toggle of information in that bottom left pane. If you're still using CP, give it a try and see if my memory is any good or not...

John

I like the way the landing is given to be at 119ft ASL!

That sounds a little high - It sticks in my mind something in the neighborhood of 90 feet is about right, but not sure.

John

I was just reading that off your print-screened shot of the AH data...

(Edit) I thought that the runways were 194ft ASL. Then I realesed, that's how long they are!

• 2 months later...

Steve,

I've heard similar stories from other AirHaulers who accidently accepted jobs to water runways with a land plane. Sometimes they can manage to land near the water and still get credit for the job. The big issue is the surface detection at touchdown. If the underlying landclass is something ugly (forest, urban, jungle, etc.) AH will assess some landing damage that will cut into the revenue for the job. Glad to hear you out-foxed the program on that one.

John

• 6 months later...

I got a default Grand Caravan into the Ac carrier out in San Francisco Bay in standard FS9. Hit reverser just before touching down... landed something like 80 knots... wasn't too hard a landing unusually... should try it in AH... see what happens...

Plummeted off the end, only just recovered when I took off again!

42458568.jpg

Old screenshot - ready for take-off. Was too busy during the landing to get a photo but it wasn't hard with that AC. I ended up using maybe 3/4 of the available landing area.

John